The Great Cold Distance vs. Night is the New Day

Which aşbum do you like better?

• Total voters
scratch-head01-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000414-large.gif

... Well to each his (or her in this case) own.

Yea I'm not terribly sure either. That was pretty vague on my part but I can't explain why I find the newer material more depressing, it just is to me, so I recognize how poor that attempt was. :)

It's a Katatonia album and to end the album, I want Jonas to be the last voice I hear. Plus, if you are going to take away vocals from the main singer (and become the voice that the album closes out with) then you had better be just as good as (if not better) than the original vocalist and unfortunately Krister is not even close to Jonas's level. He doesn't have a "horrible" voice or anything, but we are forced to trade in a great, beautiful voice in exchange for just an "okay" voice for the second half of "Departer" and for me at least, that really sours my enjoyment of the full song because I know what I am missing from the second half in comparison with the superb first half. The very first time I got to "Departer" on the album, I had major chills once the chorus kicked in and I was ready to declare it my top favorite song off the album, if not my top favorite Katatonia song overall. However then the "new guy" comes in and I am sure the look on my face at that moment was one of confusion, disgust and disappointment.

It would have been more tolerable if Jonas could have at least sang with Krister in the final chorus, or did a final chorus by himself or even if Krister would have sang the first verse/chorus and Jonas took over for the second. But it's like Jonas just walked out of the recording studio halfway through and when he does, I prefer to have the song end there. I know it's two seperate brothers singing, but after Jonas sings his chilling lines, the new vocals stick out like a sore thumb once Krister steps in. Instead of the song ending with a "wow!", it ends with an "eh...".
couldn't have said it better myself

Im not going down the departer route.

I have had a good chance to listen to the new album and..

TGCD still wins. My favorite albums are DO, TD and LFDGD (the last being the best).

The newer sound which is Viva and onwards...

I think the songs, production and feel of TGCD are like a book it takes be on a journey. I love every song right down to Journey Through pressure which all leave you feeling subtly haunted.

The problem I see with NITND is the lack of anything substantial in song writing. I listen and love the production, the dynamics and the DRUMS are fantastic - THAT SNARE is deep yet snappy. I love the new album dont get me wrong but TGCD is in a different league. It flows better, feels less chopped up and above all makes sense.

To get this into perspective think about the songs.

Leaders impacts powerfully - Forsaker is more of a TGCD mish mash of TGCD.

Then you have Deliberation and My Twin, 2 songs that are catchy. There is nothing on the new album that fits into Katatonia songwriting - what happened to "The Hit" song, I liked having the grab me song. TEARGAS anyone?

And sorry but Idle blood is a Porcupine Tree rip of (a good one though but doesnt sound like katatonia)

This all sounds very negative it is and it isnt. I had stuff to say about TGCD compairing it to LFDGD wich was negative but this feels different and has me a bit concerned for their next album. I am compairing within the bounds of Katatonia and that means I am not saying its shit, just that as you look at it compaired to their own works - and this is against their own works not compaired to any other bands - for me NITND was a production masterpiece but a songwriting meltdown.

They are too me a band that remain my most favourite influencial band of all time.

They still stand above the rest - just because it is an atmosphere within everyhting they do.

And time ages us all, I think Katatonia have done very well and criticism which stuggles to really slate anything they do other than within their own confinds must be a compliment.

Even though I voted for NiTND, I'll admit "Journey Through Pressure" is a much better closer than "Departer". Departer starts off strong but for some reason, it loses steam - maybe the fact that KL sings at the end, although I'm not really sure that's it. When I first got the album I liked it more; It's a solid song but there are more deep and interesting songs on NiTND.

I've been listening to TGCD latelly. Hell, I didn't remember how much better it was than NITND. The songs are so much stronger, there are such a lot of memorable riffs, drum fills, vocal passages. I find it odd how many people actually consider NITND better than TGCD