The Great Cold Distance vs. Night is the New Day

Which aşbum do you like better?

• Total voters
Jonas' vocals on Dissolving Bonds and New Night are incredible, different maybe, but I wouldn't want it any other way. His current style perfectly compliments the overall more upbeatness of thier music today.

Well it's pretty obvious that what I like about Katatonia is completely different than what everyone else loves/d about them. I can't fault anyone for their opinion. It's just all about personal taste. I think the sedated (good word Bluesky), more numb, defeated sounding chant-like vocals he uses now are more appealing. I know I was damn near crushed when I invited my best friend to come over to hear them right after I got NITND. Some of his favorite bands are Type O Negative, Dream Theater, Soundgarden, Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Sigur Ros, etc. so he likes a decent variety and I was beyond certain that he was going to love them. But yea, he was completely dumbfounded by my excitement for Katatonia and thought they were one of the worst bands I've ever introduced him to. In particular, it was Jonas's vocals that he said he hated and how slowly he sings. I almost wanted to kick him out of my house. :mad: So I can't explain it, I can only accept that two people can listen to the exact same thing and yet each hear something entirely different.

Well it's pretty obvious that what I like about Katatonia is completely different than what everyone else loves/d about them. I can't fault anyone for their opinion. It's just all about personal taste. I think the sedated (good word Bluesky), more numb, defeated sounding chant-like vocals he uses now are more appealing. I know I was damn near crushed when I invited my best friend to come over to hear them right after I got NITND. Some of his favorite bands are Type O Negative, Dream Theater, Soundgarden, Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Sigur Ros, etc. so he likes a decent variety and I was beyond certain that he was going to love them. But yea, he was completely dumbfounded by my excitement for Katatonia and thought they were one of the worst bands I've ever introduced him to. In particular, it was Jonas's vocals that he said he hated and how slowly he sings. I almost wanted to kick him out of my house. :mad: So I can't explain it, I can only accept that two people can listen to the exact same thing and yet each hear something entirely different.

I have absolutely no problem with Jonas' voice at this point. I think it is smooth, passionate, and simply beautiful at times. The verses on songs like Increase and Liberation are some of my favorite vocal lines ever. I will say that I still have a soft spot for Discouraged Ones, because that was the album where Katatonia went from a band I liked a lot to one I absolutely loved! His voice was much different on that album than it is now, more of a Robert Smith influence on DO.

It is extremely interesting to note how two people can listen to the same thing and hear something completely different. So may factors go into it: your conditioning/upbringing, your attachments, your state of mind, etc. Several people have mentioned that their music is no longer depressive or as emotionally charged, and I disagree. NITND is certainly different than DO or LFDGD, but to my ears it is still depressive, dark, haunting, and memorable: qualities I have always felt that Katatonia possessed through all of their transformations. That being said, I would not mind at all if more elements from DO and LFDGD made it onto the next record, mixed with the elements from the last 2 LP's, along with something new as well!

Night wins. It's more consistent over all since I like all the tracks. Great Cold is up and down with some big ups, but still not as solid.

NITND is incredible imo. Haven't got tired of it yet.
Maybe it's just me but "Departer" is the only track i dislike. It starts off well but Krister Linder ruins it.

While I don't disagree that the older material was emotionally charged, I find it odd that a few of you are actually calling the newer material "less depressive". I actually find the two most recent albums to be the MOST depressing work they've put out. It's less in your face with the sadness but that subtleness is what makes it work. Everyone finds different things to be sad so I guess I lied, I CAN see how others would find the older material more depressing, but I don't see it. The use of more major chords combined with the vocal melodies sublimely depressing to me.

Anyway, overall I prefer TGCD, but only because of the slow, plodding and unvaried sound contained within NitND. Not that TGCD didn't suffer from monotony and sameness as well, but NitND needs some tempo changes, I mean damn. So really I think the problem actually was that Jonas wrote most of it. I find it works better when Anders writes most of it and Jonas puts in a song or two, because he's a great writer and I love his trip hop influences(If he ever did a solo effort I'd be all over it) but it doesn't work as well masquerading as a katatonia album. I believe unfurl is one of the best katatonia songs, but I don't believe he's capable of an entire album of unfurls. What I'm saying is that Jonas was spread to thin, and he's at his best when he can concentrate his effort into a couple songs on an album.

And also I want to agree with all the people saying that linder ruined departer, because he did. That had the makings of being one of their best songs ever, but a meandering middle section and Linder's vocals combined with poorly structured vocal lines just kills the mood. I'd love a version recorded with only Jonas's vocals.

Also the verses in Liberation are some of the best katatonia has ever put out. Shame they're so short in that song

The use of more major chords combined with the vocal melodies sublimely depressing to me.

scratch-head01-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000414-large.gif

... Well to each his (or her in this case) own.

One year without coming here, well a very busy 2010 year, Im here today perhaps because hopefully Katatonia is coming to my Country, hope to be here more often this year..

For me Night is the New Day !!! what a record, The Great Cold Distance is good but as somebody wrote it goes up and down I even can listen to it after a few years and still think there are some new songs for me
:( , but for me Night.. is all good, I know it from start to end, pure melody, Ashen, Departer!! damn what a good way to end a CD!!

NITND is incredible imo. Haven't got tired of it yet.
Maybe it's just me but "Departer" is the only track i dislike. It starts off well but Krister Linder ruins it.

Why does everyone seem to not like the KL part? Just curious...

I think it's pretty fucking awesome.

Why does everyone seem to not like the KL part? Just curious...

I think it's pretty fucking awesome.

It's a Katatonia album and to end the album, I want Jonas to be the last voice I hear. Plus, if you are going to take away vocals from the main singer (and become the voice that the album closes out with) then you had better be just as good as (if not better) than the original vocalist and unfortunately Krister is not even close to Jonas's level. He doesn't have a "horrible" voice or anything, but we are forced to trade in a great, beautiful voice in exchange for just an "okay" voice for the second half of "Departer" and for me at least, that really sours my enjoyment of the full song because I know what I am missing from the second half in comparison with the superb first half. The very first time I got to "Departer" on the album, I had major chills once the chorus kicked in and I was ready to declare it my top favorite song off the album, if not my top favorite Katatonia song overall. However then the "new guy" comes in and I am sure the look on my face at that moment was one of confusion, disgust and disappointment.

It would have been more tolerable if Jonas could have at least sang with Krister in the final chorus, or did a final chorus by himself or even if Krister would have sang the first verse/chorus and Jonas took over for the second. But it's like Jonas just walked out of the recording studio halfway through and when he does, I prefer to have the song end there. I know it's two seperate brothers singing, but after Jonas sings his chilling lines, the new vocals stick out like a sore thumb once Krister steps in. Instead of the song ending with a "wow!", it ends with an "eh...".

I think his fits the song and the album very well.

Shoot...it's the perfect closer for the album, Krister Linder and all. The dude can sing. He's not Jonas, but he's still got a pretty damn good voice.