The Travel Thread

I'm off to Bruges and Brussels in a few weeks. Anyone been there?

Been to Brussels. Nice city, great food.

Some pics from summer '07:

n1232460105_30179854_7737.jpg

n1232460105_30179855_7987.jpg

n1232460105_30179856_8240.jpg

n1232460105_30179857_8504.jpg

n1232460105_30179858_8755.jpg

Cool shots, Einherjar. I especially like the one of Old Stockholm - it looks rather ghostly. Did you get any of the countryside?

Also, why the hell are you all wearing stocking caps in a sauna? :lol:

For the sauna experience, you have to jump into freezing cold water before going into the sauna. You do this a total of about five times, back and forth. They tell you to wear a wool hat to keep your head warm.

Awesome pictures Einherjar.
I'm off to Bruges and Brussels in a few weeks. Anyone been there?
I've been to Bruges and I really liked it. It's a small city with lots of cool places and things to see, plus an amazing metal shop. I think it's called Metal Zone or something like that. I found a lot of great albums for reasonable (~8-12 Euros) prices.

For the sauna experience, you have to jump into freezing cold water before going into the sauna. You do this a total of about five times, back and forth. They tell you to wear a wool hat to keep your head warm.

Oh right, that weirdness. How cozy was that?

Great pics. The architecture and design is amazing.

Is anyone familiar, from, or traveled to the Umbria-> Perugia region of Italy...located just north of Rome? I recently discovered a connection to a local town name there (in that region) in regards to my family name, heritage etc. Obviously peeking my interest and looking to go in the near future...hopefully? Guessing Rome would be the obvious place to tour and stay...then venture out to this other region, if its worth seeing? I have looked up some stuff on line...any other info / comments would be appreciated..

I'm off to New Orleans today. Never been there. Granted, it's not as exciting as going out of the country, but it should be a fun spring break. St. Paddy's Day in 'Nawlins will be a blast.

I'm off to New Orleans today. Never been there. Granted, it's not as exciting as going out of the country, but it should be a fun spring break. St. Paddy's Day in 'Nawlins will be a blast.
Ive never partied harder then i did at Mardi Gras down there. I went down there before Hurricane Katrina btw. Prepare to see lots of titties!
Have a good time man.

I addition to being English, I've visited:
Scotland
Wales
France
Spain
Belgium
The Netherlands
Switzerland
Norway
Italy
USA
Mexico
Belize
Chile
The Falklands
The Congo
Nigeria (technically I left the airport, but only to be driven from the heliport to the main terminal at Lagos)
Malaysia
Singapore
India
Japan
Australia

Is anyone familiar, from, or traveled to the Umbria-> Perugia region of Italy...located just north of Rome? I recently discovered a connection to a local town name there (in that region) in regards to my family name, heritage etc. Obviously peeking my interest and looking to go in the near future...hopefully? Guessing Rome would be the obvious place to tour and stay...then venture out to this other region, if its worth seeing? I have looked up some stuff on line...any other info / comments would be appreciated..

On a trip to Italy, I arrived in Ancona, stayed in the Umbira region, including a couple of nights in Perugia, before onto Elba and flying out of Pisa. Beautiful countryside, large rolling hills, steep river gorges and, if it floats your boat, interesting geology (I was there on fieldwork). Perugia's a very attractive town, and a good night out (it's a university town, so lots of bars and young people out drinking)

On a trip to Italy, I arrived in Ancona, stayed in the Umbira region, including a couple of nights in Perugia, before onto Elba and flying out of Pisa. Beautiful countryside, large rolling hills, steep river gorges and, if it floats your boat, interesting geology (I was there on fieldwork). Perugia's a very attractive town, and a good night out (it's a university town, so lots of bars and young people out drinking)

sounds good...i'm looking more into planning this trip!

I was just in Italy actually. Got back a few days ago. It was a totally unplanned trip, I booked a train an hour before it left and then had to pack and get to the station!

My train arrived into Turin, which was really boring, then went to Genoa (great), the Cinque Terre (five little Tuscan towns perched on cliffs in the Mediterranean), Florence (touristy but still good), Pisa (not too interesting but worth it for a day trip for the tower), Siena (overrated but has an amazingly beautiful church) and Rome (obviously brilliant).

Ive never partied harder then i did at Mardi Gras down there. I went down there before Hurricane Katrina btw. Prepare to see lots of titties!
Have a good time man.

Well, back. Can't say I remember much. :cool: We had a hotel that was almost on the corner of Tolouse and Bourbon, so in the early evening we would sit on our balcony and get drunk, then go out and get wasted on the street. Man, there are some fucked up bars around Bourbon St.

We also made our way over to Frenchman and Decatur and saw some great bands. It was a blast!