The Astrology Thread

I put a "warning" icon next to this topic title because I have a tendency to get very long-winded about this subject. Also, because I want to warn anyone beforehand that if you are coming here to just make comment like "astrology is bullsh*t", kindly refrain from doing so or find a nicer way to get your point across. This thread is for those of us who enjoy the art of astrology, discussing our charts, or questions about getting your chart done.

Melisan: I will have the info you asked me for the next time I post here.

In the meantime, in the words of astrologer Suzanne White, "you're right, astrology is nonsense. Now can we get on with our fun?" :lol:

You can participate if you want! I have done basic charts for people at the old official forum, free of charge, so if you ever want yours done too, just drop me a line with the following info: date of birth, time (hour/minute/a.m. or p.m.), and location of birth (city/state/country).

Melisan: I do not have Tuomas' time of birth, so I cannot calculate his House placements or his ascendant (rising sign). This is a good example as to why knowing the time of birth is so important; the rising sign represents a person's "attitude"; the finer aspects of their personality that separates them from others who share their sign. The ascendant also lays down the groundwork for the Houses in a chart. If the rising sign represents a person's "attitude", then consider the Houses to be how that "attitude" deals with certain circumstances in the outside world. This is the best way I can explain it without getting too detailed at this time.

The computer program I use to calculate longitude/latitude can also "estimate" a time of birth, so I can use that as a frame of reference, but by no way would it be accurate. Not only that, but I do not feel comfortable with doing someone's chart without their permission. ;) These stats can easily be found in any astrology book that deals with this subject, and since everyone already knows Tuomas' birthday, it's not that hard to look this up. ;)

So based on the info I do have, which is only his birthday, this is what his placements are. I have only listed the planetary placements, not more detailed aspects such as whether or not he has any Grand Trines, Crosses, or T-Squares. As I am also interested in Eastern astrology, I thought it might be worth mentioning that he was born in the Year of the Dragon.

Obviously for those who are not well-versed in astrology, feel free to question further on what these placements mean and I'll be happy to explain. There is more to your chart than just your Sun Sign (the sign you are born under; what you answer when someone asks, "what's your sign?"). Here are Tuomas' placements, without knowing his time of birth. :(

Sun: Capricorn
Ascendant: N/A
Moon: Pisces
Mercury: Capricorn
Venus: Aquarius
Mars: Sagittarius
Jupiter: Taurus
Saturn: Leo
Uranus: Scorpio
Neptune: Sagittarius
Pluto: Libra

C, I shouldn't tease you about this, but you should have asked him his birth time when you interviewed him. :)

I have the following birthdays for the others:

Emppu - 6/24/78, Kitee
Jukka - 4/21/78, Kitee
Tarja - 8/17/77, Kitee (A Leo. That explains a lot)
Sami - 9/26/76
Marco - 1/14/66

Don't have Anette's.

Anette's is June 19th or 20th of '71, I believe.

Well, I did give him a sort of astrology book when I saw him, I suppose I could have asked. But wouldn't have that been weird? :lol:

It looks like Jukka was born on the cusp, so I have to consult my epheremis to see if the Sun transited on that date or the day before. If it was on that date, I would need his time of birth to determine whether or not he is Aries or Taurus; therefore, I could not do a complete chart for him. :(

But there is a thread for asking Jukka questions on the English forum. :lol: Ask him if the band would like to know their astrological info.

I'd like to know mine if you have the time C. A more in-depth reading might clarify some things for me as I'm not sure how well my sign suits me. :ill: My Chinese sign is pretty much on the money though, which is nice. :oops: 5/10/1989. Around 8:30pm, Kittanning Pennsylvania. Do you need anything else?

It's May. :lol: Sorry, I usually try to post dates Euro style, it's a hard reflex to break since I don't write dates all that often. :p

BaraHime: I didn't forget about you; I've been so swamped with work over the last few days, and was up 'till 2 in the morning last night updating some stuff on the OSA site. I promise I will spend this evening finishing up your chart.

Forgiveness, please! :lol:

Btw, something interesting that I noticed in Tuomas' chart (since when I posted it earlier, I had no time to look at the other aspects of it): he is the FIRST chart I can recall seeing in all my 20 or so years of casting astrology charts, where I have found a Grand Cross (yes, I have been casting astrology charts since high school; I first started studying astrology at the age of 10 when I came across one of my mom's books). To explain this shortly, this is the ultimate "conflicted personality" in astrologer's terms. This is not necessarily a bad thing, and having a Grand Cross is not unlucky, per se, but as far as I can remember, I have never encountered one in all the time I've been doing charts, so to find one is quite rare indeed! I have come across many T-Squares and a good amount of Grand Trines, but never a Grand Cross. I am constantly buying books on how to better improve my chart-casting skills, so this is only in reference to the charts I have done since I have learned how to find these particular aspects, so I am not counting the "basic" charts I casted when I was first learning how to do charts and did not have as much experience as I do now.

Then again, for a long time, I was unable to draw up charts by hand due to crappy artistic skills, so this is only from my recollection of charts I've done since I have started to draw up charts less like mathematical problems (which is still my preferred method, as it's easier for me to remember), and more like a "traditional" pie chart format. ;) I realize the method I use is totally unorthodox, but hell, Phil Collins writes all his songs in Morse code instead of standard musical notes, and you certainly can't argue with his success, can you? :lol: (Not that I'm comparing myself to Phil Collins or anything, but rather that sometimes the most unusual way to do a task is the most effective!) I've also been told by some with whom I've done the "math format" that it was easier for them to understand, rather than looking at a chart with a bunch of lines and shapes and trying to figure out what it all means! ;)

Melisan: I have asked around to a couple of people who might have known the info about time of birth and have come up with nothing so far. So until/unless I get a chance to meet him again (I have already met him 3 times, so you never know!), I can either use my computer program to estimate a time of birth (which I really don't like doing unless I have to, as I sort of take pride in doing my charts by hand), or I can do as most astrologers do without having a time of birth, and set his ascendant at his Sun Sign (i.e., Capricorn with Capricorn rising). I may do both, just to see if the readings have any significant differences. In the meantime, I'll keep trying to see what I can do about finding out the accurate info. I can also do the same for the other bandmembers, and I need to consult my epheremis to see exactly when the Sun transited to Taurus on Jukka's date of birth. The Sun usually transits on April 20th, but every now and then it does occur on the 21st. So I want to be sure that I have the exact time of the transit so that if I do have to estimate his time of birth, I will know for sure whether to cast a chart as a Taurus, or if I have to cast 2 charts in the probability that he could be an Aries.

This opens up discussion about being born on/near a cusp, which is probably the most common question I get from people about astrology. Taimi was born on the cusp, so I was able to tell her that she is indeed a Pisces, not an Aquarius. However, this requires quite the long explanation so I will save it for next time. :)

Nope, but he does have some Air placements, such as Libra and Aquarius.

His Grand Cross can be found in the Fixed signs; he has all of them: Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, and Aquarius. If a Grand Cross is considered a "conflicted personality", then a Fixed Grand Cross is even more so, because Fixed signs are known for being the "stubborn, stick to your guns" signs, and each one is set in their own particular ways. So imagine being pulled in 4 different directions, each one of them determined to have their way! :lol: