The Doom Metal thread

ohiogrinder

New Metal Member
Mar 15, 2006
this thread is for discussing doom metal, past and present. talk about reissues, old albums, new albums, new and old bands, make recommendation, etc....you get the drift.

lately I've been rocking (if thats the right word for doom) Thergothon and plan to get albums by Skepticism and Worship in the near future.

I've been sitting in anticipation for the new Warning album, as well as constantly spinning The Obsessed - Lunar Womb and my Church Within CD.

I have been listening to a band called All Souls Day, very good haunting traditional doom...also I have been listening to some Funeral, Reclusiam, Thergothon...

Thergothon is amazing (as is Reclusiam); if you can find it, try to find their song The Summoning Through the Crimson. Lately I've been listening to Mausoleum and The Ethereal.

Ahab is excellent, I've become a big fan since a friend turned me on to them a year or two ago. The ep from '05 as well as the album from last year are of the doomiest proportions, the ep being a bit more straightforward funeral doom than the more adventurous full length.

Well I suspect I'll be learning quite a few things in this thread... but some of the doom I like:

- Shape of Despair
- Mar De Grises
- Nortt (albeit Black Doom)
- Funeralium
- Monolithe
- Nox Mortis
- Saturnus (although getting more ear friendly, so I'm not in love with them)

... and how can I not mention the MIGHTY

rapture.jpg

Doom I like.

Evoken-embrace the emptiness(this was just reissued by Solitude Productions along with Painfull Memories-memorial to suffering).
You can hear a PM song here(good stuff)
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=105163249
Cathedral-forest of equilibrium
Candlemass-epicus doomicus metallicus
Solitude Aeturnus-ALL
Anathema-Pentecost 3,Crestfallen,Serenades
My Dying Bride-As the flower withers,trinity
Reverend Bizarre-II: Crush The Insects

The only doom bands I like right now are Daylight Dies and Swallow The Sun, they're great, and STS's new album is amazing.

If you like Daylight Dies check out Katatonia-Brave Murder Day(which was just reissued with sounds of decay e.p). All these bands like Daylight Dies,Rapture,etc.. base their entire style right from this album.

I've just recently gotten into doom over the past 6 months or so, but I've become very fond of these bands...

Candlemass
Reverend Bizarre
Solstice
Solitude Aeturnus
Pentagram
Trouble
Pagan Altar
Saint Vitus
Witchfinder General

I've said this before but fans of Sabbath should check out Necromandus "Orexis Of Death"

I love extreme doom. Mourning Beloveth is my favorite band.

Also, I really enjoy:
Forgotten Tomb
Wreck of the Hesperus
old Candlemass
Arcane Sun
old Cathedral
old Katatonia
Thergothon
Esoteric
Daylight Dies
old Paradise Lost
Mael Mordha
Old Season
Bethlehem
Cultus Sanguine
Void of Silence
Despond

I am not a big fan of doom yet I have personaly purchased all Candlemass albums which I find them quite amazing but boring when played repeteadly.

True about Candlemass.. should only be played once in a blue moon.. other then them i really like My Dying Bride and want to explore bands similar to them but not a carbon copy of them... any recommendations? ...

Albums of MDB that i have:

The Dreadful Hours
Songs of Darkness, Words of Light
The Angel and the Dark River
Like Gods of the Sun

True about Candlemass.. should only be played once in a blue moon.. other then them i really like My Dying Bride and want to explore bands similar to them but not a carbon copy of them... any recommendations? ...

Early Anathema, early Paradise Lost, early Katatonia...

November's Doom sounds like their newer stuff, but I hate both...you might like it.

You might like this song: www.myspace.com/isentorr , it's the first song that plays when you open up the page. Maybe enjoyment of this will lead to greater things. :cool: