Traditional Doom Metal

skeptik

Feb 7, 2003
NOTE: Don't talk about Death/Doom, Black/Doom, Funeral Doom, or any of that shit itt kthxbai.

There's just something about Doom Metal that strikes me as utterly captivating, the utter despair and the agony of life that is so often expressed in this music coupled with absolutely bludgeoning riffs that just wash over your brain and grab hold of your attention until it's done speaking to you. This all began right from the beginning, with Black Sabbath's eponymous hymn, which is to this day arguably the finest display of the genre's aesthetics, and it continues through a legion of newer bands who have essentially bypassed decades of musical evolution and have reverted back to the very foundations of the genre for their inspiration. This results in something that just feels very organic and untainted by musical and ideological devolution, to produce genuine music created by genuine disciples of Doom. It's like looking back in time to an era that were born too late to witness yourself. And yet the genre still evolves (how much, however, is arguable), with bands like Warning and Griftegard and Mirror Of Deception.

These are, in my experience, some of the finest examples of Doom Metal of all time:

1970-Black%20Sabbath.jpg

B0007OH64W.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

51095c08.jpeg

Saint_Vitus_Debut.jpg

15026-0-300-0-300.jpg

sa_beyond_the_crimson_horiz.jpg

0000497024.jpg

Etc. You get the idea. Discuss.

In Doom related news, both Warning albums are scheduled to be reissued by Cyclone Empire Records, probably some time next year. Watching From A Distance will also be put out on vinyl, which is the first priority.

Surprised you picked Beyond the Crimson Horizon over Into the Depths of Sorrow.

I have loved some classic doom (and some other doom) but overall have not explored or appreciated the genre as I feel I want to. Solitude Aetrunus - Into the Depths of Sorrow is one that I love. There was a Candlemass that I loved (either Nightfall or Tales of Creation, can't remember which) but it may have been a cassette, and I don't seem to have it any longer. Of course, early Sabbath. Never really explored Trouble much. Not sure I have heard Pentagram.

I agree, there is something pure about classic doom, and I plan to explore it more in the nearish future.

In Doom related news, both Warning albums are scheduled to be reissued by Cyclone Empire Records, probably some time next year. Watching From A Distance will also be put out on vinyl, which is the first priority.

Did you note that part of my post?

Surprised you picked Beyond the Crimson Horizon over Into the Depths of Sorrow.

I have loved some classic doom (and some other doom) but overall have not explored or appreciated the genre as I feel I want to. Solitude Aetrunus - Into the Depths of Sorrow is one that I love. There was a Candlemass that I loved (either Nightfall or Tales of Creation, can't remember which) but it may have been a cassette, and I don't seem to have it any longer. Of course, early Sabbath. Never really explored Trouble much. Not sure I have heard Pentagram.

I agree, there is something pure about classic doom, and I plan to explore it more in the nearish future.

:kickass:

Into The Depths Of Sorrow is great, and has some of their best songs, but it's not as consistent as Beyond The Crimson Horizon, so I prefer the latter by a slight margin.

The previous post was to Ozzman. :p

I must say that Forsaken is one of the most underrated (or atleast never talked about) bands in this genre, all albums are masterpieces imo.

Trouble is kinda overrated though imo, they are good, no denying there but top doom albums of all the time? Nah. Especially when I don't spot Epicus Doomicus Metallicus in your list. ;)

Edit: NP Saint Vitus - Trail of Pestilence, best Vitus song ever (from their best album)!

If you don't spot EDM, then the image just isn't loading for you, because it's there. :p

I honestly have yet to really check out Forsaken. And you need to listen to Trouble more.

Lol yeah, the image doesn't seem to load. :p

Try getting their EP Iconoclast, it is probably pretty cheap and contains their best work imo. Epic to the maximum.

I probably need to listen to Trouble more, I don't own any of their albums thats my biggest problem. Need to get hold of Psalm 9. I have seen them live though!

Edit: people are fast here, this is to Nec!

More bands that would pretty much fit the list:

The Obsessed
Saint Vitus
Cathedral
Unorthodox
Trouble
Count Raven
Witchfinder General
Pagan Altar
Revelation

I'm glad this thread was made, I've been meaning to try some trad doom.

I've heard the mighty Sab, Candlemass (which I didn't like), Pentagram, and Trouble so far fyi.

i agree with everything Necuratul wrote in his initial post. to his list of essential releases i'd also add Candlemass 'Nightfall', Solitude Aeturnus 'Through The Darkest Hour' and Cathedral 'Forest Of Equilibrium'. there are also some fine albums from Solstice and Doomsword