Doom Metal

Mr. Palomar

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
This is going to be brief because I'm in a hurry, but could you guys give me the names of some good doom bands to check out? I am really interested in the genre, but right now I've only heard some of the bands on the fringe of the genre like Khanate and Sunn 0))), bands like Isis and Neurosis (are they considered doom?), and My Dying Bride.

Thanks. I'll check back later. I'm very interested in the more extreme ends of the genre, but I will listen to anything (ANYTHING) so long as it's good.

I dont know these bands but Metal Archives describes Neurosis like Progressive sludge/hardcore/ambience/tribal, and Isis like Ambient Doom.

I sugest you the fathers of Doom like Candlemass or the oldest works of Katatonia, Paradise Lost, Anathema, Amorphis, Tiamat, Moonspel...

the most of these bands actually plays gothic/psychedelic/sludge/experimental metal/rock

I prefer Black or Death Doom with depressive feelings then Melodic Doom but is a question of taste.

Forget the happy My Dying Bride, try some:

dISEMBOWELMENT
Dusk
Winter
Skepticism
Thergothon
Unholy

Arcane Sun is a must. Orodruin is a really good old school doom band.
Acid Bath are more sludge than doom, but definately check them out. A band that doesn't get much mention when it comes to doom is Daylight Dies.Their music is in the vein of Brave Murder Day-era Katatonia. Great stuff.

Dreamlord said:
good luck, because Arcane Sun is pretty hard to find. But damn it's a good piece of music.

Yeah, I noticed that. However, I recently got some hard to find CDs by Whitehouse, Nurse With Wound, and Current 93 so maybe I'll have a bit of luck with Arcane Sun too.

BURIED AT SEA

and Reverend Bizarre, I'm listening to In The Rectory.. right now (had to check it out after someone here (BloodStainedWalls?) recommended it), holy crap this album kicks so much ass!

I have never been much of a Doom metal fan myself, but My Dying Bride is a talented and creative band. Moonspell (at the top of the list of Doom bands I do not like) however, put me to sleep... Not in a good way...

Mr. Palomar said:
Yeah, I noticed that. However, I recently got some hard to find CDs by Whitehouse, Nurse With Wound, and Current 93 so maybe I'll have a bit of luck with Arcane Sun too.
The Relapse records distro carries the Arcane Sun CD. That is where I ordered mine from a few months ago.

yabba said:
BURIED AT SEA

and Reverend Bizarre, I'm listening to In The Rectory.. right now (had to check it out after someone here (BloodStainedWalls?) recommended it), holy crap this album kicks so much ass!
YES!!!! In The Rectory of The Bizarre Reverend is a total frickin masterpiece. One of the greatest slabs of doom ever recorded of all time...and I am not exaggerating. I'm glad you checked it out and dig it. :) Now ya gotta check out Rebreather - Half Speed Ahead. \m/

Oh ya, Buried at Sea are great too!

Mr. Polamar, check out my list of doom/stoner bands on that link I supplied. You will be busy for weeks looking up all them bands. :kickass: