Doom Metal

ShredHeadJHJ

oh noes itz a opinionn
Oct 15, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I decided that this place needs a dedicated Doom Metal thread as we already have shit like Brutal/Slam Death, Death & Black Metal threads in the main forum.

My knowledge on Doom is very limited, so this can be a good place for like minded folk as well as genre purists to check up on Doom bands & such.

Take it away ladies & gents. Maybe we can start with the genre standards & take it from there?

Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet is owning me at the moment. Such a powerful and depressing album.

Probably my favourite genre.

These are the absolute essentials...
Pentagram - Relentless
Saint Vitus - Born Too Late
Cathedral - Forest Of Equilibrium
Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Trouble - Psalm 9
Solitude Aeturnus - Into The Depths Of Sorrow

Then check out these...
Solstice
Grand Magus
The Gates Of Slumber
Revelation
Reverend Bizarre
Electric Wizard
Ogre
Penance
Pale Divine
Voodooshock
Mirror Of Deception
Warning
Orodruin
Fall Of The Idols

Or alternatively, listen to "Goddess of Doom" by Reverend Bizarre and just listen to every single band in that song.

Sweet. I have a few Cathedral tunes, I was just wondering about them recently. They're damn near the only band on your list I think I've heard except for maybe Candlemass. I'll have to give some of those a shot.

What do you think of My Dying Bride or are they for flaming n00bs?? I have their newer one, but I wanted to get more of their old stuff as all I have are some songs & no albums.

Candlemass' first two are essential. That and Pentagram's Day of Reckoning is all I've been listening to doom-wise lately.

Turn Loose the Swans from My Dying Bride is good gothic/doom hybrid.
Skepticism is quite a different type of doom, ultra-slow very bleak and funereal.
Give Bethlehem's Dark Metal a try as well.

Saturn is a good band too. Paramaecium is another good stuff, and, of course, the classics:

my dying bride
tiamat
anathema
katatonia
paradise lost
the gathering
amorphis

and some heavy/doom:

black sabbath
candlemass
solitude aeturnus
veni domini
heavenwood

I used to think that Skepticism and Katatonia was the epitome of doom metal music, but after carefully hearing and evaluating Doomcifer's recommendations over the past couple of years, I have come to the conclusion that TRUE DOOM is where it is at. My favourites now include:

Scald
Fall of the Idols
Doomsword

...and so on.

Epic/traditional doom is the best by far. Stoner and sludge are the worst and death and funeral are in the middleground.

I got into Doom Metal a few months ago when I was growing tired of listening to almost exclusively Black Metal. Of the genre I've gotten into so far, my favorites are:

Black Sabbath
Cathedral
Electric Wizard
Lamented Souls
Pentagram
Reverend Bizarre

Let's first make the crucial distinction overt: There is Traditional Doom Metal, like Black Sabbath, Candlemass, Trouble, and the like; then there is Death/Doom Metal, such as Dusk (US), Winter, and Sorrow; and then there is Funeral Doom, with bands such as Skepticism, Thergothon, and Mournful Congregation.

And what category does Cathedral fall under?

DOOM METAL

Why you have to put them under the "stoner" tag, can you seriously tell me? What element of their music makes you call them like that? Have you ever heard any of their members claiming to be in under this so called genre? Please consider for one single moment how much the vast majority of the bands that are put under this "stoner doom" tag HATE to be called like that (for maaany reasons) and stop using that stupid term.

p.s. you can put "traditional" before "doom metal" in the case of Cathedal if that helps you.

im trying to get into the more traditional style doom by listening to reverend bizarre. i like it so far.

i still like the doom/death style such as my dying bride, novembers doom, katatonia, officium triste, anathema, morgion....

Epic/traditional doom is the best by far. Stoner and sludge are the worst and death and funeral are in the middleground.

hey I like sludge, fuck you!

I mostly like funeral doom, sludge and trad doom. some death/doom is ok and most stoner doom is goddawful.