Doom Metal

A few of my favorites: (being Death/Doom)
Swallow the Sun
Daylight Dies
Novembers Doom
Katatonia
Anathema
Isole (not Death/doom but extroardinary)

^

More people need to know these bands.

Yes you are correct Sir.
Listened to Paul Chain on myspace for the first time and it sounds good so far. Reminds me of Robin Trower but DOOM.

Monolithe aren't really that good though. Nothing essential when it comes to funeral doom.
I enjoy them quite a bit nevertheless. I'm more of a funeral doom fan than trad doom.

Esoteric and Skepticism, hands down the best at that. Other than those two, Wormphaglm, Mournful Congregation, Stabat Mater, Elysian Blaze and Nortt tp name a few off the top of my head.

Because Boris regularly plays doom (or, used to more often than they do now) and Sunn are "drone doom" as opposed to drone ambient.
I don't find the doom in Sunn though, they are just drone "metal" imo. Neither in Boris but I must admit that i haven't heard all their albums so I can be wrong there. :)

I enjoy them quite a bit nevertheless. I'm more of a funeral doom fan than trad doom.

Esoteric and Skepticism, hands down the best at that. Other than those two, Wormphaglm, Mournful Congregation, Stabat Mater, Elysian Blaze and Nortt tp name a few off the top of my head.
Thergothon is the only really essential funeral doom band imo. Skepticism, Worship and Funeral are cool too though.

I don't find the doom in Sunn though, they are just drone "metal" imo. Neither in Boris but I must admit that i haven't heard all their albums so I can be wrong there. :)

Drone metal? wtf? Doom is heavy and slow. Sunn plays heavy and slow-paced riffs. See the resemblance yet? If you threw some drumming on Sunn, you'd get doom you know. :p

If you wanna hear Boris play doom, listen to Amplifier Worship.

Sludge is also heavy and slow, and is more close to drone then doom but it doesn't make sludge doom.

Edit: and doom doesn't need to be slow. ;)

I like pretty much all the big trad. doom bands and a a fair few sludgey stoner doom bands. Not a fan of funeral doom or death doom (apart from October Tide). Some black doom is fairly decent. Here are my favourites:
Candlemass
Saint Vitus
Winters
Ramesses
Noothgrush
The Abominable Iron Sloth
Cathedral
Pentagram
Apostle Of Solitude
Centurions Ghost
Warning
Trouble
Sleep
Electric Wizard
Reverend Bizarre
Heavy Lord
Witchcraft
Krux
Pagan Altar
Sleep

Ok, what I ment was, sure doom isn't really fast with blastbeats and all that, but it doesn't need to be crawling either.

Edit: Btw, anyone likes World Below? Maelstrom wasn't a bad album at all imo.

Wait there is such thing as fast doom then?

No, you misunderstood Nec; he meant to imply that the reason it's called doom is because "doom is slow." As in, someone's impending doom is a rather slow, consuming process. Damnation also has a similar feeling to it; it will come, and it is lurking...but how far away!? Damnation metal just sounds lame though.

Well, it came from a Sabbath song. But that is pretty much my idea of why doom metal is called doom metal outside of just being taken from a Sabbath song. :p

Really? After "Hand of Doom"? Makes sense to me, it's an awesome song and represents pretty much everything the genre stands for.