The Doom Metal thread

I've tried a million times to get into this band, but I seem to never get any results, the music seems to go nowhere and leaves me unsatisfied.

Nortt is a difficult thing to get into. You can't be looking forward to hearing songs or you'll just end up bored and putting on something else. You just have to soak up the atmosphere of it and enjoy the sound. It's not for everyone, but I like it every once in awhile.

We should have separate threads for traditional and extreme doom because they're nearly completely different worlds, and this always fucking happens in these threads...

question: how is Until Death Overtakes Me? and can anyone recommend similar bands?

I'm not a doom enthusiast. I have long way to go on my quest to circumnavigate the world of black metal.

It's not that I don't like doom, I've liked most of the few doom songs I've heard, but I just prefer black metal and that's where I will be focusing my finances for many months to come.

We should have separate threads for traditional and extreme doom because they're nearly completely different worlds, and this always fucking happens in these threads...
True. The closest thing to a link between the two is Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium. I really don't know where to place it. I personally enjoy extreme doom more, because of the atmosphere it evokes, but I also really enjoy the trad doom bands whose music possesses that downcast quality that extreme doom has (early Candlemass, Shades of God era Pradise Lost, Solstice, etc.). What I don't like, is bluesy doom, ie stoner doom. I just can't get into it.

I downloaded a few Candlemass tracks earlier today. I just finished listening to them; this was my first exposue to Doom and I must say that I liked what I heard. I don't know if they're the best example of Doom metal, but I'm sure this thread will be a good resource for more Doom stuff.

True. The closest thing to a link between the two is Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium. I really don't know where to place it. I personally enjoy extreme doom more, because of the atmosphere it evokes, but I also really enjoy the trad doom bands whose music possesses that downcast quality that extreme doom has (early Candlemass, Shades of God era Pradise Lost, Solstice, etc.). What I don't like, is bluesy doom, ie stoner doom. I just can't get into it.

how about sludge a la Eyehategod, Corrupted, Grief and Noothgrush?

Anyone heard Cathedral's "Endtyme"? Not quite sure if it can be called doom, but it's the closest thing they've done since their first albums and it's fucking brilliant besides. I like to put on "Ultra Earth" and sit back pondering how the world is going to end. :)

question: how is Until Death Overtakes Me? and can anyone recommend similar bands?

Aardtmann op Vuurtopberg
Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine
Beyond Black Void
Fall of the Grey-Winged One
The Liquescent Horror

Until Death Overtakes Me is still better than the above mentioned bands; however....The Liquescent Horror definately 1-up's it depending on your mood.

Pantheist is damned good, so is Solicide (lp - Der untergang des Abendlandes)

If you want stuff that is even more dronier than that (I don't know why you would though), there is always:

Architect of the Most Terrible Dreams

Doomsquirrel (actually, I love this guy)

UDOM is very good, but TIRING to listen to. Honestly. I highly recommend Prelude To Monolith, it's his best. I was disappointed by last year's Monolith, which was boring instead of merely being long and slow (which I can tolerate when it's GOOD, like PTM).

If you like Daylight Dies check out Katatonia-Brave Murder Day(which was just reissued with sounds of decay e.p). All these bands like Daylight Dies,Rapture,etc.. base their entire style right from this album.

Which in turn, I am contractually obliged to say, is derived heavily from Paradise Lost - Shades of God (which is also a superior album)

Anyone heard Cathedral's "Endtyme"? Not quite sure if it can be called doom, but it's the closest thing they've done since their first albums and it's fucking brilliant besides. I like to put on "Ultra Earth" and sit back pondering how the world is going to end. :)

Love it. Sea Serpent!

Which in turn, I am contractually obliged to say, is derived heavily from Paradise Lost - Shades of God (which is also a superior album)

You're right Katatonia is influenced by PL but at the sametime have their own style and traits. I think katatonia sounds more like Icon and Draconian times mixed with say gothic over shades of god. Shades of God is great but not my favorite PL nor do I find it better than old katatonia.

I never really put Crowbar in the same vein as Eyehategod. They're a much clearer marriage of old school hardcore and doom than the sludge merchants.

As far as sludge goes, it's Iron Monkey for me.

You're right Katatonia is influenced by PL but at the sametime have their own style and traits. I think katatonia sounds more like Icon and Draconian times mixed with say gothic over shades of god. Shades of God is great but not my favorite PL nor do I find it better than old katatonia.

BMD is almost totally influenced by Shades of God - I couldnt comment on later (i.e. shit) Katatonia in much the same way as I can't comment on post one-second Paradise Lost.