the Great Opeth Debate

Lets review the songs in no particular order:

Leper Affinity - ooh, Voivod sound good lets copy them and rehash Leper Messiah for a title
The Funeral Portrait - Lets cover ground conquered in the 80's
Harvest - A classic guitar intro, how original, let's follow it up with some boring wank and more original acoustic shit
Patterns In The Ivy - Acoustic guitar again what a fucking shock.
Harvest - Acoustic shit yet again. Are these guys desperate for and MTV unplugged slot or what.
Dirge For November - Surprise Surfuckingprise another acoustic intro. God these guys are so deep!!!!!!!!!!!
Bleak - Doesn't really sound like anything apart from shit metal.
Blackwater Park see no. 7

Just when I thought "no one is that stupid"...

But unlike pop, if you listen more closely, as the normally astute Mr. B has obviously failed to do, and you hear complex and unusual melodic choices. How many other rock bands have melodies of this quality? As far as I know, only POD and Blink-182.
I was wondering about this too...is he serious??

Fuck this shit man...what a joke! The guy obviously doesn't have a clue of what he is talking about....

For all we know, he can just go and listen to Blink 182 or some shit or whatever the hell he listens to....ludicrous, I say!

im not to fond of the blackwater park album myself. There's too much redundant acoustic. makes me wonder if these guys are losing it. I loved moonlapse vertigo, serenity painted death, and black rose immortal. Wish they would lean more towards their heavier side.

Strange, that reply reminded me of a lot of Opeth songs, in the beginning you read interested, but after reading enough long replies you get real bored and wanna read something else.

Originally posted by Alcapoth
Fuck this shit man...what a joke! The guy obviously doesn't have a clue of what he is talking about....

For all we know, he can just go and listen to Blink 182 or some shit or whatever the hell he listens to....ludicrous, I say!

It WAS a joke. I suppose it's hard to tell if you've never read anything else on the site. I tried to pick the two most ridiculous bands I could think of so it would be clear, but I guess not.

The acoustic melodies that opeth is able to create shows their talents as guitar players. Not only do they rock in songs like Serinity Painted Death, Godhead's Lament, they can slow it down and play songs like Face of melinda, Harvest, Benighted. I only wish that other bands would be as talented, and well rounded as opeth. They are able to mix their music, so it doesnt all sound the same.

Moonlapse, glad someone was able to figure out. Hope this doesn't come across as overhypin my site, but if anyone's interested, someone added to the debate. The last line is pretty awesome.

Eh, the debate is boring. Both sides have good points, & both sides have stupid points. The debate is flawed in some manner, just as all music is. Get over it.