The Guitar Thread - style/technique/skill

J the TyranT

Thats just how it is...
Dec 14, 2001
LV
Alright.

I came up originally as a drummer, but have switched my focus to a majority of guitar here in the past year...

But I need to get better. Any helpful hints about exercises or videos worth checking out?

Dont recommend guitarists to listen to, because, Ive heard a ton of shit... Gambale, MacAlpine, Per Nilsson, Eklundh, Thal, Buckethead, Stanley Jordan, Shawn Lane, Holdsworth, and everybody in between.... but I cant play any of that shit.

So how do we get to THAT point? I know its hard work, obviously... so dont waste yer timing saying this and that about natural talent.

As far as exercises, videos, techniques... lets get with the heavy recommendations so I can throw a bunch on my netflix queue!

thanks for the fucking worthless response.

Im saying... Ive heard some people say Petrucci has a good vid... etc etc. Soooo, if anybody knew of good finger exercises or picking techniques or videos... like I FUCKING said earlier....

so dont waste yer timing saying this and that about natural talent.

Im trying to advance my playing... figure if anybody else wants to discuss ways to advance playing... here's where to do it.

thanks for the fucking worthless response.

Im saying... Ive heard some people say Petrucci has a good vid... etc etc. Soooo, if anybody knew of good finger exercises or picking techniques or videos... like I FUCKING said earlier....

so dont waste yer timing saying this and that about natural talent.

Im trying to advance my playing... figure if anybody else wants to discuss ways to advance playing... here's where to do it.
dude...that's just it. videos wont make you play better, practice and more practice will make you better....there is no magical potion or secret to it. yea you can watch a video and learn or you can learn from a teacher but just listening to what they have to say aint gonna make you better...you have to sit down and practice the techniques they put forward to you. you can be bullheaded and have an attitude about what you don't wanna hear or even what you wanna hear but the truth still remains that you have to prcatice.....and yea..... natural talent plays a part into how fast you learn.

Well here's what's worked for me: first, make sure your technique is sound. It's not all that hard, and many great players have different techniques, but one thing that I think is really universally important is to keep the side of your palm totally parallel to the bridge (rather than leaning it back when picking fast, as used to be tempting to me). To keep it this way, a few years ago I started anchoring my pinky in the genreal area underneath the bridge pickup ring, exactly like Petrucci does, and have ever since. This was back when I had a huge boner for DT before Train of Thought came out (now they can suck it :)), and was watching the "Rock Discipline" DVD, which does indeed fucking rule. So yeah, some people don't anchor their pinkies, however, I tend to think most do, and it guarantees that the side of your wrist will stay parallel to the bridge (which it should always be resting on, by the way).

As for your left hand, well, I dunno - classical players say you should NEVER have your thumb above the middle of the back of the neck, but that always pissed me off, cuz I can't dig in to do a good bend vibrato (they do their stupid "sliding"-esque vibrato, so that's why the technique works for them), so I just always make sure to use my fingertips, and leave it at that.

Once you've got the technique down, I recommend just using a metronome and learning licks that sound cool to you - to me, few bands write as many awesome licks as Children of Bodom, though Nevermore has some bitchin' ones too. Also, playing along with music is a much more fun way of metronome practicing, cuz we all know how "on the click" most modern metal is!

As for your left hand, well, I dunno - classical players say you should NEVER have your thumb above the middle of the back of the neck, but that always pissed me off, cuz I can't dig in to do a good bend vibrato (they do their stupid "sliding"-esque vibrato, so that's why the technique works for them), so I just always make sure to use my fingertips, !

Not true. I play classical guitar and I have a wicked vibratto without thumb. But Thumb is definately easier.

But how do you do your vibrato? Do you actually bend the string like us electric players do, or do you do the "rapid sliding up and down the string" which is the traditional classical technique?

I've never really used any video instruction. Here are some drills I learned from a friend who is an amazing metal guitarist. They are boring as fuck, but you will see improvement if you can force yourself to do it on a regular basis. This will require at least 1 hour EVERY DAY::headbang:

1. Buy a metronome. If you insist on playing loud, make sure you buy a metronome you can blast loud or plug headphones into.

2. Turn Metronome on and set it at 150. Look at the clock and play muted triplets on your low string for 10 minutes. x-x-x x-x-x x-x-x times infinity. Do not fucking stop unless the house is on fire. It should feel WAAAAY too slow and boring, but do it anyway

3. Take a break and stratch your hands.

4. Pick a scale (preferably a different one every day). If you don't know any scales, buy a book and learn either A-Minor (all the white keys on a piano) or A-Blues Pentatonic. Keep the metronome at the same tempo and play the scale like this: A B C B C D C D E D E F E F G F G A G A B until you hit the 24th fret, then start coming back down. Watch the clock. 10 minutes. Do not stop.

5. Take a break and stretch your hands.

6. Keep the metronome at the same ridiculously slow speed. Palm mute down stroke sixteenth notes for 10 minutes. Feel free to fret anywhere to help stay awake. Don't stop.

7. Take a break and stretch your hands

8. Pick a sweep pattern that spans all 6 strings. Buy a book or look on the internet if you don't know any. 10 fucking minutes. You know the routine. Same tempo. Yeah, I know it's painful to do it so slow. Do it anyway...

9. Take a break and stretch your hands

10. Same tempo of course. Tremelo pick your high E-string using sixteenth notes. Fret anywhere. 10 minutes.

Every day increase these tempos by 1 BPM. When you start reaching the 190 range you will find that some days you can not pick as fast as the previous day. It happens. Get over it and keep trying your best. When you finish these exercises, spend the rest of your day playing actual songs and NO DRILLS.

It's important to do this shit with your hands very relaxed, otherwise you might induce some carpal tunnel symptons. If you ever start to feel undeniable pain, stop immediately and rest for as many days as you need until the pain goes away. Then start again and try to be more relaxed and not tense while doing the excercises.

This might put a dent in your social life for a year or two. It might be worth it someday. :zombie:

i remember learning to play bass....i would just play every tape....yea i said tape of all the songs i like. learning them all the way through. sometimes i would stay up till 2am practicing and soon as i got home from school id go straight to it.

Honestly, I'm going to go against the grain here and say I don't think that drilling useless shit to death is the way to go. I think playing along with bands/artists that shred is the better route. Learn a few scales that you like and just learn to feel em out with different techniques. Learn one a week or something and just SHED the fuck outta em.

...I don't think that drilling useless shit to death is the way to go. I think playing along with bands/artists that shred is the better route...

I think doing both would be the best route. Also think about what every other lazy guitarist motherfucker in the world would do. If you can just discipline yourself a little, you have a major advantage and boost in confidence compared to a dude that sits on the couch or on the internot all day.:kickass::Smokin:

Seriously, I can't overstate the use of playing along with music, cuz you get the same metronome benefits, and it's a whole lot less mind-numbing than exercises. I tried the exercise thing for awhile, but I just got bored and felt like it was kinda pointless. The way I see it, if there's something you wanna learn (or have written, ideally) that you can't play, THAT'S when you do the exercises - I gave up on wanting to be fast for the sake of speed awhile ago, and now focus on being good enough to play what I wanna play (but I'm constantly challenging myself by writing hard licks/solos, so it's not like I'm stagnating!)

And Christ, I don't know why you do the private profile thing like some teenage girl afraid of being stalked :D. But fortunately, we're myspace pals (hooray!), so I went to your profile, only to find no music (and that you listed yourself as your number one hero, very modest :p). However, I'll take your word that your vibrato works for you, but every player who I admire specifically for their vibrato (Petrucci, Vai, Neal Schon, Akerfeldt) does the sort of "twisting the wrist" style with the thumb way the hell up, so that's what works for me! And your big dog in your default pic is absolutely adorable. :)

ok....by a show of pluses....how many of you think natural talent plays a factor in how fast or how well you learn

Well dude, even if that were the case, what's the point in thinking that way? You'll just depress yourself, and it seems a very defeatist attitude...

And Christ, I don't know why you do the private profile thing like some teenage girl afraid of being stalked :D. But fortunately, we're myspace pals (hooray!), so I went to your profile, only to find no music (and that you listed yourself as your number one hero, very modest :p). However, I'll take your word that your vibrato works for you, but every player who I admire specifically for their vibrato (Petrucci, Vai, Neal Schon, Akerfeldt) does the sort of "twisting the wrist" style with the thumb way the hell up, so that's what works for me! And your big dog in your default pic is absolutely adorable. :)

Okie dokie, check out my top friend Cadaveryne to hear my stuff. and I'm sorta a private person so if people are going to creep my page out they are going to have to be approved. so there haha.

I'm my hero not in a guitar player sense, but If you can't rely on yourself, what else is there kind a way.

And I also play from the wrist too sometimes I just wanted to point out that that's not the only way., I mean I realize that is what works for most, I heard your stuff and your vibrato is good, so you know what's the deal.

Yeah GRIZZLY MY BUDDY

I think good technique is a must, I have some nasty habits that I need, no will break. Those exercises might be boring and playing to a metronome might suck, but 99% of all the "guitar gods" did it day after day. I like this thread it should be a sub-form

How to get 'better' at the guitar? Play the fucking guitar. If you need inspiration and guidance to help you, its out there. Learn the basics then play play play play play. The more the better. The more varied the better. Drills suck, and aren't entirely useful. They're great if you want to be really good at drills. Being able to play for yourself is more rewarding in the end.

Should add that drills are useful! And can help your technique, but christ they're boring, and all the good songs won't have those licks in them. Its motor skills your learning, so learn the patterns and techniques that you will actually use in musical context, not just 1234123412341234 etc. Though its fun sometimes.