the Hendrix thread

thanks for the 'first day in guitar class' lesson schmucko, the operative word was 'wank' not 'pentatonic'

On second thought, some of you people are fuckin' petty. This is a music forum, where music is discussed, not a social skills seminar. I will apologize to Mr. Mix, as I said, my intention was not to disparage. And I wish him and everyone here all the best. Some of you are just unbelievable, look hard at yourselves before you make accusations. I'd be willing to bet that if we sat down and burned one end to end, had a beer, all this stuff would'nt add up to anything. As pointed out, I will try and be more resilient. Maybe others should do the same. By the way, "Machine Gun" IS the greatest guitar song ever, imo. Give me examples of a better guitar song?

Yes. I am bragging about having that, but it is a VERY hard thing to come by. I can't really point out the greatest guitar song ever, but I sure would not mind sharing some of it with you, and then explaining to my why it is the greatest guitar song ever.
Mix

Yes. I am bragging about having that, but it is a VERY hard thing to come by. I can't really point out the greatest guitar song ever, but I sure would not mind sharing some of it with you, and then explaining to my why it is the greatest guitar song ever.
Mix

As you know it all comes down to a personal/subjective opinion. That being said, I'm referring to "machine gun" from Band of Gypsys. That display actually creates an image and complete feeling for me. His interpretation of "bombs and bullets flying" is fuckin' unreal. The sounds Jimi tortures out of his guitar puts me in Viet Nam. Imo, Hendrix displayed more emotion through his playing than any guitarist I've ever heard. He may have been "sloppy" in his technique, but the notes he plays, or is it the way he plays the notes on that song, connects with me more than any other guitar song. Another song that really comes close is Stevie Ray Vaughn's version of Jimi's song "Third Stone from the Sun.":worship:

I got the Blue Wild Angel: Hendrix live at the Isle of Wight dvd 1970, it jams so much i highly recommend it to all. The footage is great the director did a great job filming the show, and the sound is great with a crowd of 600,000 people.

Solid DVD. When Hendrix breaks into "Red House" it gives me those goosbumple things. Actually, I read that Jimi was fighting the flu during that performance, and to some degree, I think it showed in his playing that night. Anyway, a true professional.

He paved the way for a new kind of music that melded Blues, rock/pop, R&B, soul, funk, and psychedelia into a style all its own.

I'm pretty sure the Beatles took care of paving roads for that kinda stuff. Not to take away from Hendrix, i think he was definitely revolutionary and great, but to me the Beatles are the band that deserve all the thanks for that.

Solid DVD. When Hendrix breaks into "Red House" it gives me those goosbumple things. Actually, I read that Jimi was fighting the flu during that performance, and to some degree, I think it showed in his playing that night. Anyway, a true professional.

There was something wrong with him, I thought it was drugs or something but it seems he was plagued by many technical difficulties with equipment as well. At the end of the gig Jimi throws his guitar down fretboard first, seems he was dissapointed or pissed off at the end...It was a solid gig though, not his best but there isn't much to complain about. I plan on getting the live at the Monterey dvd next.

There was something wrong with him, I thought it was drugs or something but it seems he was plagued by many technical difficulties with equipment as well. At the end of the gig Jimi throws his guitar down fretboard first, seems he was dissapointed or pissed off at the end...It was a solid gig though, not his best but there isn't much to complain about. I plan on getting the live at the Monterey dvd next.
Yeah your right, but I read that he was fucked up with the "flu." And it very possibly was drugs. Also, he was displeased with the equipment. His reaction was probably a result of all those things. This gig, (if I'm correct) was his second to last. He played next in Sweden, at the middle of September, went to London to rest up and died.

I was reading a review on Sputnikmusic for "Kid A" by Radiohead. In the summary, the reviewer stated that, "Radiohead is as innovative as the Jimi Hendrix Experience was in 1967." I know this is a Hendrix thread, but I thought this was good for discussion.

Agreed! Hendrix back in 1967 set the music world on it's collective ass. He put the electric guitar in the forefront of music. Not to mention all the sounds he coaxed out of his guitar. Just curious as to what others on here thought about the reviewers statement.

All those on here who have "On Demand" feature from Comcast cable, need to go to the "music" section and pull up "guitar lessons." Andy Alodort demonstrates and teaches many things about Jimi's playing; all the affects he used, how he played various songs etc.etc. Did you know Hendrix always "tuned down" a half-step? I didn't. All the "young gun" guitarists out there MUST check this thing out. Amazing stuff.