The "I'm not at Prog Power" Loser Lounge

Here's a quick recap from Thursday and what's fone down so far:

POWERGLOVE were as cheesy and comedic and entertaining as expected! Good sound, very engaging, threw a couple dozen inflatable swords into the crowd, excellent performance.

Vanden Plas played enough stuff from the Seraphic Clockwork and then some, only two from Christ-0, I think one from Beyond Daylight. Their singer really loves to pull the Mic away as he sings, so his voice was barely audible the whole setlist. Pisses me off when singers do that. But a very good show, really tight and energetic.

Evergrey plowed through the whole damn album before Tom even addressed the crowd! Just plowed through. So much energy. Like a two ton heavy thing. Played I think six more songs, seemed like a very quick setlist. Tom's voice is still spot on and extremely emotional and the crowd felt it.

Creation's End was a little low with the guitars in the mix. Singer has that Ralph Scheepers saunter on the stage. That slow ominous swagger. Very tight setlist, quite solid.

Darkwater had technical problems with the keyboards, so late start and setlist cut short. But made their impression. Their Italian guitarist loves to solo and solo and solo.... It was constant guitar wankery, almost Blind Guardian amounts of noodling!

Voyager just wrecked this place. Holy crap. They are far superior to their wimpy weaker sound on album. I am definitely getting their new release, I bet it'll sound much better. These guys proved they are a world class act, and I'm sold! Fun, fast, tight, a headbanging good time! They conquered this audience by the end of their setlist. Job well done, guys!

Next up, Eldritch!

Here's a quick recap from Thursday and what's fone down so far:

POWERGLOVE were as cheesy and comedic and entertaining as expected! Good sound, very engaging, threw a couple dozen inflatable swords into the crowd, excellent performance.

Vanden Plas played enough stuff from the Seraphic Clockwork and then some, only two from Christ-0, I think one from Beyond Daylight. Their singer really loves to pull the Mic away as he sings, so his voice was barely audible the whole setlist. Pisses me off when singers do that. But a very good show, really tight and energetic.

Evergrey plowed through the whole damn album before Tom even addressed the crowd! Just plowed through. So much energy. Like a two ton heavy thing. Played I think six more songs, seemed like a very quick setlist. Tom's voice is still spot on and extremely emotional and the crowd felt it.

Creation's End was a little low with the guitars in the mix. Singer has that Ralph Scheepers saunter on the stage. That slow ominous swagger. Very tight setlist, quite solid.

Darkwater had technical problems with the keyboards, so late start and setlist cut short. But made their impression. Their Italian guitarist loves to solo and solo and solo.... It was constant guitar wankery, almost Blind Guardian amounts of noodling!

Voyager just wrecked this place. Holy crap. They are far superior to their wimpy weaker sound on album. I am definitely getting their new release, I bet it'll sound much better. These guys proved they are a world class act, and I'm sold! Fun, fast, tight, a headbanging good time! They conquered this audience by the end of their setlist. Job well done, guys!

Next up, Eldritch!

Keep up the updates, Bryan...that recap is much appreciated! Thank you!

Not to rub it in or anything but Ihsahn was the best set i've seen at PP, and this would be my 5th.

:worship: Ihsahn
He and the Leprous guys managed to unseat Voyager as my favorite of the night, a task which really seemed impossible since Voyager is easily one of the best PP performances of all time! Guess it takes a legend doing something extra-special to top that! Ihsahn didn't have a sax player, but they compensated very well for that on vocals. Ihsahn is a class act, on and off stage! Humble and gracious, very much not a diva rockstar. They're staying through today and I encouraged them all to come hang out with people. I hope they do!

Mob Rules were energetic and, from what I know of their music, spot on! The mix was great and I caught a tweet while in the lobby that their lighting was amazing. By the time I made it in there, I caught the last few songs and they totally reeled me in! I was all smiles afterwards - or maybe that's because I was happily bouncing my way backstage to get the diamond badge for Ihsahn :D

Sanctuary where really stellar! Warrel's voice was easily the highlight - my god that man hits those notes over and over and over again! o_O Just incredible! He asked the crowd if we're allowed to mosh and then said he'd cry if we didn't mosh to the next song (Battle Angels, I think) so a pit broke out and everyone let it happen! hahaha it lasted, anemically, for a few more songs before the kibosh was put down. It was allowed again for the last song. Anyway, the set seemed to go over pretty well and everyone had a great time.

The video announcement was a really cool Mayan end of the world theme, since the whole 2012 Mayan calendar thingy is next year ;) Yeah took me a while to put 2+2 to realize that's why they chose that theme. Derp! Must be the lack of sleep or my brain melted in the photo pit after Ihsahn! There were some technical glitches with the video stopping and skipping a few times, but the gang recovered with grace where others would have freaked out (like me!)

Afterwards I went back to my room to get my jacket - it's pretty chilly this year - and head over to the Artmore. I talked with Danny and Alex from Voyager for a while, and Paul LaPlaca as well. Did you know that Paul did the sound mix for Voyager? True story! It was also one of the best mixes I had heard in a long time :) Speaking of Paul LaPlaca, his songs with Mark M.E. Edwards were terrific! Heck that whole show was fun as heck! It was interesting to see a stage in the Artmore patio, lol, and a chance to see Urban sing can't be passed up, along with a great show of Mark's killer guitar chops! The free food was hamburgers, hot dogs, salad, brownies, and other such fair, with a complimentary beer and wine bar. The only big gripe is that so many people left after they ate, which means they were either only there for the food (lame!) or they had to hustle-ass back to the venue because doors opened before Mark's show was finished.

Anyhow, I've gotta get ready for another day of amazing music! I'm sure someone will let y'all know how it's going from here! Miss you guys! *orders a pizza to be delivered to the LL*

So, not sure if anyone has listened to it yet, but my band's new song is on the Prog Power mix CD! It's track #7 on disk #2. Yaaaay.