The Jester Race

I'm not that big on At the Gates, but I like them. I haven't heard much In Flames. Would you guys say that In Flames are better than At the Gates?
AtG's tRitSio is relentlessly fellated on this board. I'd say it's the best full length from either band. But really AtG had that one masterpiece and then released 2 really good albums in the form of With Fear and Slaughter, but overall I'd say IF is better. Of course, I'm completely alone on that but w/e.

Exactly!

*reaches total enlightenment and nirvana*
:lol:

Damn it, I made a grammar error in that. Whatever.

Anyway, my point stands. Any wish to contest it?

By the way, is there anyone here who seriously likes the new In Flames album? I think it marks a new low in the output of modern metal, a fact made even more embarrassing by the fact it is In Flames and that crappy deathcore bands have released better albums.

I think The Jester Race is a fairly good album. Its fusion of the melodic sensibility of heavy metal with the technical innovations of death metal and black metal is at times successful. I don't think it is a melodic death metal album in a really full blooded sense and I don't think it even pretends to be. It gets quite a bit of unfair criticism as far as I'm concerned. That said, it's far from perfect. I actually used to be obsessed with this album. I still listen to it from time to time.

However, the stuff they put out after that is pure, unadulterated crap as it is basically just Sammy Hagar-era Van Halen meets my dad trying to play death metal riffs.

I think The Jester Race is a fairly good album. Its fusion of the melodic sensibility of heavy metal with the technical innovations of death metal and black metal is at times successful. I don't think it is a melodic death metal album in a really full blooded sense and I don't think it even pretends to be. It gets quite a bit of unfair criticism as far as I'm concerned. That said, it's far from perfect. I actually used to be obsessed with this album. I still listen to it from time to time.

Basically my opinion.

December Flower is my fav song off the album

In Flames and Dark Tranquility are better then at the gates in my opinion I only really like The Red in The Sky is Ours then I find the rest of their material boring while both DT and IF have about 5 solid albums.

The Gallery
Fiction
The Mind's I
Character
Projector
Damage Done
Haven

Don't own Skydancer yet.
I only have the Gallery, Fiction, Skydancer, and The Mind's I.
I think you'd like Skydancer, it's got that very raw melodeath feel where it almost become black metal. If you get it, get the rerelease that includes the Of Chaos And Eternal Night EP, since that also kick ass.

By the way, is there anyone here who seriously likes the new In Flames album? I think it marks a new low in the output of modern metal, a fact made even more embarrassing by the fact it is In Flames and that crappy deathcore bands have released better albums.
I like it. I think that it has nothing to do with deathcore and so that's a kind of random thought there. I think it's somewhere between hard rock and melodic metal with harsh vocals and so when people go in expecting melodic death metal of course they're disappointed but the thing is that IF are no longer a melodic death metal band, they're no longer interested in that sort of material, and if you want old school melodic death metal you should check out Jesper Stromblad's side project Dimension Zero.

In Flames and Dark Tranquility are better then at the gates in my opinion I only really like The Red in The Sky is Ours then I find the rest of their material boring while both DT and IF have about 5 solid albums.
Exactly.

Personally I feel about In Flames the same way I feel about Dimmu Borgir: at their best they are catchy but their songs are really one-dimensional and unlistenable at times. I certainly think that the worst of Dark Tranquility and At The Gates is better than the best of In Flames.

In any case there are lots of melodeath that's better than those 3 bands, like Insomnium, Amorphis and Amon Amarth.