The Jethro Tull thread.

gee, some of those clips made me remember how remarkable songs from the wood was. I either need to get that on CD or a turntable, I dont know how I make it though the day......

I think I have a cassette of Benefit that I haven't listened to in a long time, might spin it sometime soon. Haven't hear those other ones. And it appears Tull is fast becoming my most listened to artist on last.fm, I'm just never not in a Tull mood I guess.

About Ian Anderson, at what point did his singing become more nasally vs. how he used to sound?

Well, when Tull first started his voice was a lot deeper and rounded out, because he was trying to emulate blues vocalists. I think it was actually Aqualung when he really came into his own. Of course, you can hear examples from the previous albums of him beginning to form his own sound.

He also underwent throat surgery sometime in the mid-late 80s, which resulted in his vocal range being significantly altered. However, I'm not sure how much of an impact this had on the sound of his voice, since I'm honestly not too familiar with his post-surgery material.

gee, some of those clips made me remember how remarkable songs from the wood was. I either need to get that on CD or a turntable, I dont know how I make it though the day......

Indeed, it's a fantastic record. I sometimes find it hard to decide between that and Heavy Horses, both are folk masterpieces.

I've been going back and listening to the oldies more lately, especially Stand Up. There are some amazing tracks on that album:

Last edited by a moderator:

Watch this vid, you'll notice his voice is a little more nasally and he doesnt have that nice rough edge to it like he used to. Still sounds good though.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: So it seems there are only 4-5 people on this board into Tull

Pat - as folky as Songs is its still loaded with that heavy progressive syncopated element too... thats what I was thinking listening to those clips

It's funny, mutantllama hasn't been back since he created this topic. I'm loving it though, I can talk about Tull all the time.

razor, you're right about the progressive elements. I've always been more of a folk fanatic, so of course those aspects are what stand out to me more. However, it's true that both Songs From the Wood and Heavy Horses are masterpieces of combining folk and progressive rock; really crowning achievements, both of them.

@fleshmountain:
Roots to Branches is a late record, made in the mid-nineties, so I'm guessing that the difference in his voice is a result of the throat surgery.

It's funny, mutantllama hasn't been back since he created this topic. I'm loving it though, I can talk about Tull all the time.

razor, you're right about the progressive elements. I've always been more of a folk fanatic, so of course those aspects are what stand out to me more. However, it's true that both Songs From the Wood and Heavy Horses are masterpieces of combining folk and progressive rock; really crowning achievements, both of them.

@fleshmountain:
Roots to Branches is a late record, made in the mid-nineties, so I'm guessing that the difference in his voice is a result of the throat surgery.
Yeah, well I still need to pick up more Tull, and you guys make me feel like a huge n00b.
So what should I get next? Minstrel would be best next?
Also, generally I don't visit non metal too much.

Oh yeah ? so I take it Heavy Horses is a must have ?

I would say, without a doubt, yes; especially if you like Songs From the Wood. Try and get the remastered version with the bonus songs "Living In These Hard Times" and "Broadford Bazaar." Both are very stripped down folk songs, but they're great.

Also, the title track is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard; a real masterwork.

Yeah, well I still need to pick up more Tull, and you guys make me feel like a huge n00b.
So what should I get next? Minstrel would be best next?
Also, generally I don't visit non metal too much.

You can't go wrong with Minstrel. I'd say that's definitely a great one to dive into.

Went to the Camden record store for the new Heaven and Hell album, but they didn't have it, so I picked up Minstrel in the Gallery.

Giving it a listen right now. Will give my thought on it later.

Yeah, so far it has been.

*edit* Ok, so it kicks major amounts of ass.

Maybe even more then the other two I have.

Bumping this thread.

Lately I've been spinning Stand Up. I really enjoy how bluesy it is.

Also, the pop up on the gatefold is awesome!

Stand Up is really an underrated album. I've been listening to it a lot as well; "Back to the Family" is becoming one of my favorite Tull songs.

I'm a big tull fan. Especially from 71-79.

I think their best albums are in this order: Thick as a brick(WOW), Songs from the Wood, Heavy horses, Warchild, Aqualung, Stormwatch, Broadsword and Minstrel..

I like some songs of their earliest 3 albums but their style isn't always appealing and Ian has yet ta mature his voice.

Some albums that are more obscure:
Too old to rockn'roll was a bit dissappointing. The are in excellent form, but somehow the music is not that catchy..
The A album(supposed to be a solo album A for Anderson, but the record company insisted...) wasn't that good at first but it grew on me.
Under Wraps: Ohh god... electro-cheese... but European legacy is a very good song.
Crest of a knave: Return to the folk-rock style. But Ian's voice has changed :( Still an ok album
Rock Island and Catfish rising: HAve those but I kind of give up everytime I listen to them..
Roots to branches is interesting: Very folky and exotic all way through. Not always catchy and too long songs but a good effort
J-Tull.com has it's moments like the title song.

I must mention Ian's solo album Rupis dance(2003). I think it's his best work since Broadsword. The secret language of birds (2000) is good also.

I went through a Tull phase when I discovered the band in 2005( Before I'd heard the name and the song Aqualung but that was it) and bought many of their albums.

Jehtro Tull/Ian Anderson are playing here next week. His voice is kind of ruined but it's still enjoyable to hear him play fantastically and tell jokes and move about. I think Tull and he playing solo now is quite similar( pretty much the same musicians).

I couldn't stand Crest of a Knave. Way too much 80s cheese on that record, I thought; I don't think they even had a real drummer. I'm pretty sure that was just Anderson and Barre (the guitarist) playing all instruments and using a drum machine. Anyway, I didn't like it.

I've never checked out Anderson's solo stuff, but I'm interested after seeing you mention them.

I have not liked anything Anderson or his bandmates have done in their solo careers. That said I usually never like solo stuff. Usually because it blows ass.