The 'Jump the Shark' game!

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Does everyone know the term, "Jump the Shark"? Other than when Fonzie jumped a shark on Happy Days (considered to be the turning point for that TV show), it can basically describe the moment for when anything goes from good to bad...

There have been several moments of when bands have jumped the shark. Some bands have come back from the dead, and others have sunk deeper into oblivion or comedy status.

Example: Metallica's St Anger may have been crud beyond belief, but when did they actually 'jump the shark' for you? If it was on Load, then which song? Try to be specific, if you can pinpoint the exact moment.

Any band (or moments in metal history) will do. Should be a laugh with some of our answers... :tickled:

I'll start:

Metallica - "Hero of the Day". The gayest song they've done, next to "Mama Said", and the video was just plain embarrasing, trying to spoof some old TV quiz show. Anyone remember that? Ugh!

Hero of the Day is fucking terrible. The doublebass sounds like a washing machine. (But I actually liked Mama Said, I am teh gay).

Future Sound of London was a brilliant ambient / electronica group for many years before jumping the shark, as the saying goes, with The Isness. What a piece of shit album! All their previous work had little to no vocals, and they hired some of the most annoying voices I've ever heard to do vocal driven songs for this CD, completely ruining their sound. Not to mention that any depth and exploration the band become known for was completely absent. All this after a 6 year wait between albums!

Megadeth jumped the shark (this term is weird, by the way) with Youthanasia and never quite recovered. Train of Consequences and Reckoning Day are both cool, but that's about it. Cryptic Writings was a bit of a recovery, but half that album was cheese and everything afterwards sucked donkey nuts.

Hypocrisy creamed the cartilage (my term is better :p ) with Catch 22, writing pop-based songs but forgetting to do anything interesting to make it enjoyable. Thankfully they are back. :D

Iron Maiden - Began with some of the more daft songs and Bruce's vocal problems on the early 90s albums, and worsened with Blaze's arrival. Now somewhat recovered.

In Flames - The seeds of their downfall were sown on Colony, or whenever Anders thought he could carry a tune.

Queensryche - When they thought playing geriatric rock would be a good idea.

NAD said:
Megadeth jumped the shark (this term is weird, by the way) with Youthanasia and never quite recovered. Train of Consequences and Reckoning Day are both cool, but that's about it.
Was there a specific song on Youthanasia that had you shaking your head in disbelief? I think for me, it was hearing the harmonica solo on "Elysian Fields". :tickled: By the way, the song "Victory" has some of the best solo exchanges between Mustaine and Friedman since "Hangar 18".

Demonspell said:
Iron Maiden - Began with some of the more daft songs and Bruce's vocal problems on the early 90s albums, and worsened with Blaze's arrival. Now somewhat recovered.
In hindsight, I only have two main problems with No Prayer for the Dying. The production and the obvious absence of Adrian Smith aka NAD. :loco: However, Fear of the Dark was the real turning point for me. I couldn't believe that was ol' Bruce on "Be Quick or Be Dead" when I first heard it.

A Tout Le Monde killed Megadeth. Fucking French lyrics!?!? That was, and still remains, one of the gayest things ever done in the history of metal.

Aerosmith. When they did those Crazy, Amazing, and ... whatever trilogy of shit they not only killed the chance of ever doing anything cool again, but tainted their past legacy. Now they are just the Rolling Stones with 15% less medical prescriptions.

Yeah, I had to quit Iron Maiden for awhile and do the school thing. :loco:

NAD said:
A Tout Le Monde killed Megadeth. Fucking French lyrics!?!? That was, and still remains, one of the gayest things ever done in the history of metal.
ooh, ooh! *shakes hand in the hair* The launch party for Youthanasia was held in England and we saw it on MTV. Dave Mustaine was being asked why he chose to do the chorus of that song in French, and he said he'd "got the idea from John and Paul", acting all cool as if he was on a first name basis with those guys. Anyway, the MTV guy was like "Who's John and Paul???", and Mustaine said, "You know John Lennon & Paul McCartney - I got the idea when listening to 'Michelle' ". I laughed my head off.

That was at a time when Mustaine was desperate to get into the mainstream. They did 'Top of the Pops' in the UK for "Symphony of Destruction" - lip synched the whole affair - and Mustaine made an effort to tell the press how pleased he was that Mick Jagger allegedly liked the song.

Aerosmith. When they did those Crazy, Amazing, and ...
Yeah, but did you fancy Liv and Alicia in the videos? :loco: (I did!). :tickled:

markgugs said:
I can't wait until Dreamlord checks in on this thread. He'll say In Flames began sucking when they thought of forming.
You know, I can't remember many of Dreamlord's reviews on AA, but I imagine that 99% of them trashed everything he'd ever heard. :dopey: The CD shelf-life in Dreamlord's house is like 3 days. :tickled:

JayKeeley said:
You know, I can't remember many of Dreamlord's reviews on AA, but I imagine that 99% of them trashed everything he'd ever heard. :dopey: The CD shelf-life in Dreamlord's house is like 3 days. :tickled:
No, he orders CDs, and then cancels the order before it arrives, having changed his mind. ;) :hotjump:

You guys are gay for liking that stupid Megadeth song. :tickled:

I thought Liv was hot back then, but not Alicia for whatever reason (probably gayness). Once Clueless came out though, her hotness factor multiplied by at least 426 times and now Liv annoys me!

NAD said:
I thought Liv was hot back then, but not Alicia for whatever reason (probably gayness). Once Clueless came out though, her hotness factor multiplied by at least 426 times and now Liv annoys me!
So true! Alicia in Clueless was teh hot!!!1 Those white thigh-high strappless stockings and plaid mini-skirts....and meanwhile, Liv Tyler looked more and more like her father except only more horsey.

JayKeeley said:
So true! Alicia in Clueless was teh hot!!!1 Those white thigh-high strappless stockings and plaid mini-skirts....and meanwhile, Liv Tyler looked more and more like her father except only more horsey.
You knew Liv Tyler just wasn't that hot when she was out-hotted by Renee Zellweiger (sp?) in Empire Records. Sluts always win, remember that.

Haha, that movie makes me think of the Gin Blossoms. I always liked what I heard of those dudes but knew if I bought an album I'd never listen to it. Not metal enough for my 17 year old ass at the time. :loco:

Have you ever consumed gin while ramming some form of blossom up your butt? In that case yes, but otherwise probably not.

I'm probably going to buy some Gin Blossoms now. Well, soon. :)

Listening to Robert Smith too long will turn you into a homosexual and / or serial killer, or your money back.