The keyboards thread

challenge_everything

Feb 9, 2006
great southern wasteland
OK we always have drumming and guitar threads, so what about keys/pianos etc? Who are your favourite keyboardists and which bands use them well?

My favourite use of keyboards would have to be Arcturus' Sham Mirrors album. Steinar Sverd Johanssen is a genius, and the intro to 'Star-Crossed' is amazing.

A close second would be Borknagar/Solefald keyboardist Lars Nedland.

Also coming to mind are:

Kim Rantala of Amorphis particularly on Elegy
The keyboard lead on Cradle of Filth's 'Hurt and Virtue'
Nokturnal Mortum's 'Goat Horns'
Pain of Salvation's 'Pluvius Aestivus'

My favourite style of music is Gothic Metal, in the style of early Cradle of Filth and Theatres des Vampires, being prime examples. The organ/keyboard work on CoF's first album is probably my favourite keyboard 'sound' on any album I've listened to. I love the uber-gothic vampire sound on early Theatres des Vampires albums. Bishop of Hexen, Cinema Strange are also great bands that utilize keyboards well...I don't know if have any particular favourite keyboardists though.

Cradle of Filth - Of Mist and Midnight Skies
Cradle of Filth - A Dream of Wolves in the Snow

I basically love anything that sounds gothic, or 'vampyric.'

What an awful name. Imagine being his kid - "Hi, i'm manzeck's son"

haha could be worse

Morrison%2004%20with%20beard.jpg

Kasper Martenson(amorphis-tales from the thousand lakes)
Kim Rantala(amorphis-elegy)
Santeri Kallio(amorphis-eclipse)
Per Wiberg(opeth-ghost reveries)
Dan Swano(edge of sanity,etc...)
Einar Moen (tristania)
Noah Landis (neurosis)
Dario Derna (ex evoken)

this is all I can think of off the top of my head.

i always liked emperor's key parts. especially on anthems. the keys on the later borknagar albums (like empiricism) are great too.
~gR~

the best band that I have seen that use keyboards defanitly have to be Stormlord, some of the best keyboards I have ever heard