The killings continue...

sorry, my pro-atheist rant :p

We'll it's a subject that interests me since I don't know if I believe in my faith or not (I'm born catholic) but I prefer buddhist and related teachings... and Wiccan has always interest me since I was growing up in the 80's... but anyways I rather hear your opinion on this and related killings....

As I have pointed out before and Necuratul has, I could easily say "I can fly to the moon and back in exactly 3.001 seconds and maybe I can't prove it but you can't disprove it, so it's still true" - that argument holds nothing. There is always more onus to prove something than to disprove it so I don't feel I need to prove the non-existence of something since that is just contradictory.

"There is no god, and maybe I can't prove it but you can't disprove it, so it's still true." Huh, funny that. That sounds like atheism.

Ah, whatever. This isn't gonna get anywhere. I don't think there's satisfactory evidence to say there is no god, and you do.

You can do this with pretty much any big philosophical question. Do we know there's an external world outside our senses? No, but there probably is. Do we know that it's wrong to torture innocent people just for a laugh? No, but it probably is. Practically speaking, there's no point in doubting our knowledge about any of these things; but if you didn't doubt them, philosophers would have very little to do.

I support science because while maybe they haven't found all the answers, at least they approach things with the mindset of learning, progressing and moving forward correcting mistakes and whatnot, rather than saying "everything is how it is, how it was, and how it always will be" and such the mentality of many religious groups like Christians etc.

I find it stunning how many can reject the evolution theory but yet: consider the birth of a child and how one shapes from being almost nothing into a full-grown human being who can talk, walk, think etc. Is this not evolution of sorts? Yet saying animals share common ancestors is ridiculous? People know have common knowledge on how this works yet in greater specific detail, but if you were tell someone this a few thousand years ago it would sound absolutely ridiculous. Also how can one accept all other scientific advancements and theories but only deny those regarding evolution??

Yup.

"There is no god, and maybe I can't prove it but you can't disprove it, so it's still true." Huh, funny that. That sounds like atheism.

The point was: don't you see the irony in trying to prove the non-existence of something that has no proof of any actual existence?

Personally I think the Pagan belief in nature & mother earth is the best way to go. Every season, moonrise and sunset is sacred.

Yes, really.

And as far as the whole Scandic religions go... well personally, I find on this board that non-Scandics claiming they have an affinity to the religion is a fucking poor attempt at being trendy. Sorry, I know I've probably opened a can of worms there.

you do realize that the "Scandinavian religion" engulfed more than just Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and Denmark right?

I have no idea what this thread is really about. I am an 'atheist', I don't believe in God. There is no genuine proof for or against one I just believe that the chances of there not being one far outweight the chances of one existing. It would be more logical to presume 'aliens' created humans as an experiment than some 'higher being' creating us for essentially no reason at all but heh. Who cares. Most people are fucking idiots anyway.

I have no idea what this thread is really about. I am an 'atheist', I don't believe in God. There is no genuine proof for or against one I just believe that the chances of there not being one far outweight the chances of one existing. It would be more logical to presume 'aliens' created humans as an experiment than some 'higher being' creating us for essentially no reason at all but heh. Who cares. Most people are fucking idiots anyway.

You simply have an apathetic approach to atheism then, or maybe you are somewhere between being agnostic and atheist?

The point was: don't you see the irony in trying to prove the non-existence of something that has no proof of any actual existence?

Yeah, I get it. Like I said, I'm just uneasy about considering something "most likely true" to be "true".

You simply have an apathetic approach to atheism then, or maybe you are somewhere between being agnostic and atheist?

No. I've drank 15 beers and a wee bit of vodka so I probably saidd everythign wrong. I don't believe in God in the slightest I merely acknowledge the fact that he has yet to be disproven, unlike alot of atheists. If people can base their belief in a God in non exesitentt facts then I can base my non existent facts (which are tbh much more reasonable) in the same.

you do realize that the "Scandinavian religion" engulfed more than just Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and Denmark right?

That's news to me Krig, from the stuff I have read and people I have spoken to (who are Scandic). I'd say what you're referring to the is Germanic aspect of it, which is not what I'm referring to.

Furthermore, what you refer to is most likely not its original incarnation, so, I have to disagree. I think you're dead wrong there.