The lack of new album information

FearTheReaper

Aug 14, 2006
Buffalo, N.Y.
Its really quite ridiculous. They havent updated the status of the new album since the end of year recap on the DT website. And all they said in it was that there going to focus on the songwriting for the album.

But i suppose we should grant DT some time. After all,they've only taken longer than 2 years to complete an album in there entire career. The time between Damage Done and Character was three years. In addition to that fact,they havent had a new member since Haven. So i'm sure theres some writing adjustments that need to be made in order to accomaidate Daniel to the band.

I just hope they give us an update soon.Theres plenty of impatience in my conscience for both DT and Sonata Arctica.

Where have you been?

Other news is that we'll enter the studio in September - wish us good luck!
Sweet! Can you share any info on what we should expect from the next album?
Sorry, but it's really too early to know, even for us. We're working on lots of different ideas simultaneously, but no song is 100% complete yet. It'll take a while before any general direction manifests.

All good things come to those who wait!!!

Fall starts at the end of September - who in their right mind would release a new record before winter? Fall tends to be time of release of re-issues, DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff.

Fall European tour, may be Asia, and early 2011 US trek? Doesn't sound right.

The way I see it:

Re-issues in May
DVD out later in 2009
New album released in early 2010

US tour in spring 2010
Summer European festivals
Asia dates late summer (may be Australia)
Europe in the fall

Looks like a cycle to me.

6 months between different releases seems tough, but there won't be live support for DVD and re-issues, and as a rule you sell more records when bands tour; well, unless overexposure is an issue, but look at fucking Opeth - it's constantly in my face, in the States like every 6 months, release after release and shit, so I would personally wouldn't consider that an issue.

There might be things going on behind the scenes, some wild-card marketing mechanics and other stuff which I'm not aware of, but what do I know? :D

Century Media have a history of delaying DT releases for a long time after they've been recorded.
I believe Damage Done was released more than 1 year after it was finished?

They way I figure it is this: Festival gigs in the summer, then finish writing the album during the rest of the year. Recording the album early 2010...and the century media will delay it.

Recording the album early 2010...

From an e-mail by Niklas:
...and in Sep-Nov, we'll be in the studio...

Looks more like they will be finished in the studio pretty fast, obviously mastering will take a bit, but I believe in about the same schedule Plintus posted, although I hope there will be some European non-festival gigs before the summer so we can set up another forum meeting because there won't be one this year I guess due to the lack of a concert which could serve as a meeting point.

Century Media have a history of delaying DT releases for a long time after they've been recorded.
I believe Damage Done was released more than 1 year after it was finished?

I'm recalling something like that, but I don't remember any details - there could be something big coming out at the same time on the same label, so there might have been a reason to wait.

Waiting after album was recorded could hurt, however: something like that was with Come Clarity, that leaked in-full on Thanksgiving being scheduled for early February release (and I heard some tracks as early as August that year) - 3 months in advance; pretty much the same story with Kreator's Hordes of Chaos (releases leaking a week in advance virtually don't hurt, but I don't have any statistics to either scenarios, obviously).

Putting album at a wrong time could also underwhelm... but at this point we can only speculate.

I'll wait as long as it takes, I egoistically want a US tour next spring as I won't be able to travel across the planet for at least a year :Smug:

Looks more like they will be finished in the studio pretty fast, obviously mastering will take a bit, but I believe in about the same schedule Plintus posted, although I hope there will be some European non-festival gigs before the summer so we can set up another forum meeting because there won't be one this year I guess due to the lack of a concert which could serve as a meeting point.

Niklas mentioned in interviews about re-issues (check out BBM for Edenspring video news) that they spend 4-5 weeks in the studio on average and that most of times material is prepared, so they just put it on the record in the best way possible; plus a strong work ethic, that helps to put everything together relatively quickly.

Producer/mastering/mixing is scheduled ahead of time, I presume, so I'd put my $20 on first half of 2010 release for the alnum.

Who wants in? :D

I'd put my $20 on first half of 2010 release for the alnum.

Who wants in? :D
I remember reading somewhere early 2010, but i can't recall if it was an interview, this forum, or some dream i had. I'm betting my non-existent $20 on March-April 2010.

I am of course hoping for a release before the festival season next year.

I find it strange that they haven't played Wacken since 2001. I brought it up once when I talked to them but can't remember what the answer was.

Well...at this point there really isn't that much to tell. I thought about making an official newspiece, but figured that I'd wait until there's some geniune info (tentative song titles, maybe a little video clip from the rehearsal room etc).

We're aiming for an early 2010 release, but nothing is set in stone. As for C.M. delaying releases, it's a bit more complicated than that. For "Character", we recorded the album while we were out of contract, and it took about a year to negotiate a new one. For "Damage done", I think we decided to wait for a while as there were other priority releases already lined up for the same time period. It's of course frustrating to wait for an already recorded album to come out, but if releasing it a couple of months later than originally planned means more promotion and better chances for tour/festival offers, it's better for everyone to wait.

That said, early 2010 does seem realistic right now.

As for Wacken, there simply haven't been any offers from them since 2001. I also think it's a bit weird, but maybe we just sucked too much last time. :p

As for Wacken, there simply haven't been any offers from them since 2001. I also think it's a bit weird, but maybe we just sucked too much last time. :p

There is something fishy about this. From what I remember of that last gig you had a very big crowd for playing so early, wasnt it around 1 PM or something?

I know they have some kind of policy about not inviting bands on consecutive years but some bands have been there every second year for a long time now, Nevermore and Amon Amarth come to mind.

Fuuuuck, checking back at the bands that played that year I just realized I missed Deströyer 666. Didn't discover them until 2003 or something like that.