the links thread

these players are checked every year by doctors, they do heart tests and endurance tests and all that. it's not normal to just collapse and die when several doctors gave you an ok. i mean, zidane today admitted they gave them stuff when he was at juve. drugs in sports have gone way to deep. no one can be sure what happened in feher's case, but illegal substance use is a probability. and i'm not saying that with a mean attitude, some of these athletes dont even know what their coaches give them. sad but true. :(

Didn't you guys see Marc Vivien Foé die the same way last summer in France ? I couldn't believe it when they coldly said on the news : ' Cameroon won the game but they are now plunged into mourning as player MV Foé died after having collapsed on the field ... heart stopped beating ... blablabla ' And they were broadcasting the images of the guy collapsing with his eyes revusled... That kind of things should be forbidden ... period !

sol83 said:
these players are checked every year by doctors, they do heart tests and endurance tests and all that. it's not normal to just collapse and die when several doctors gave you an ok. i mean, zidane today admitted they gave them stuff when he was at juve. drugs in sports have gone way to deep. no one can be sure what happened in feher's case, but illegal substance use is a probability. and i'm not saying that with a mean attitude, some of these athletes dont even know what their coaches give them. sad but true. :(
i saw it too, not live but in the news they showed it. A tragedy indeed! Fucking scary what happened and i just heard that another player from Sweden died by a heart attack during the training session. It's fucken scary at the moment when you see such thing happening in sport.

And i heard an expert saying the same as Sol mentioned before, that the players are checked before the seasons so that normally such things like heart attacks can be excluded. I wonder how this can happen. Anyway it's a sad story!

The prob is that players are usually checked but they may have had a cold/virus that might have attacked the heart, and it's apparently difficult to detect that; Asamoa (who plays for Schalke 04) has got some heart disease, they know it, and thus he gets special treatments and doctors are always there when he plays; i saw a doctor on TV yesterday explaining why some heart diseases cannot be discovered by the usual tests that players have to do.... and i guess no one really expects young players to be really sick...
it's horrible, a Portuguese friend of mine watched it live on TV as well and she said it was a nightmare... it's so sad ...