The longest Vehemence review ever for the God Was Created album.

VEHEMENCE

Helping The World To See
Jan 3, 2002
Phoenix, Arizona U.S.A.
www.myspace.con
This guy may be the most obsessed Vehemence fan we have.
AIM: SyK0847547

Vehemence-God%20Was%20CreatedCD.jpg

OurFinestCoward
Metal Lord

The longest Vehemence review ever for the God Was Created album. http://www.metalreviews.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1808

Intro:

Of all the music that has passed through my ears, one genre still remains the deadlock mainstay champion of all that is noise in my mind. Death fvkking Metal. Yeah, shit’s awesome. Awesome to the max. But, enough Futurama quoting. I, like any Death Metal fan, feel like I know the best of the best, and have heard the rest. That’s what’s so great about the genre… and hell, that’s what’s great about metal, in general. You hear one band, and you can’t wait to hear more. And not just the one band’s works, but dagnabbit, every freakin’ beat released in the whole metal scene can seem appetizing if you are adventurous enough. You just have to quench your thirst, and find that perfect release, something to hold you over till the next one. Maybe even longer than that.

Keep dreaming, right? Metal keeps growing and we keep buying. The next thing you know, you’re tearing through albums by the fist full. You have 6 CD cases full of albums that the majority of are neglected, and rarely called upon lest you are in the mood. Yeah, even I know this all to well. I used to think my In Flames CD’s would never get old. And really, some haven’t. But, the occasional listen is all I can get out of them lately. And that’s melodeath. Think about how I must feel when I’m neglecting my beloved Death Metal favorites. Honestly, I don’t feel terrible though, because it only means I thickening my already huge collection, and that’s never a bad thing. However, the one reason I think most death metal bands get about half the playing time they deserve, at least for me, is because I found the elusive PERFECT ALBUM!

Hey, we all have one. ADMIT IT! YOU know you have ONE. It fits your personality. Embodies exactly what you want in music. Strikes a nerve in your heart, and gives you fits of nostalgia with every spin.

I found my perfect album in 2002, the very summer of, and to be honest, Vehemence’s God Was Created has been a’spinnin’ in my ol’ player ever since.

Review:

In case you have never heard Vehemence before, what you are in for is what the band themselves have called, “Melodic Death Metal for the Brutal fan.” Not an exact quote, but essentially one that I saw on a banner of theirs long ago. Very brutal indeed, they hold no punches in this full length concept horror album, which is not only a sophomore effort, but also sophomoric in aspects that actually make the album better than it could’ve been without.

Alright… physical music description, you kiddies seem to like that these days. Okay, think of it this way: A brutal, brutal band, but not blind rage bouncing off the walls technicality, nor monotonous speed riffs that don’t take enough time changes. Rather, this music DOES fit the whole melodic death thing, but in a way that I personally have never heard before. In fact, melodic death bands WISH they could force so much intensity, and pure evil beauty into their riffs. Lot’s of speed picking, and so on… In reality, the guitars lead the way in this band, playing off one another, and taking leads. I think that’s why they define themselves as MD, because I know I sure as hell wouldn’t have if they hadn’t. Regardless, I think the strongest point with said guitars are the leads and solos, which really are spirited, and meaningful. They carry and inflict emotion in the heart of the listener, and for some of you Black Metal fans, this is what I’m talking about. Emotion and heart, rather than just a speedy display of talent.

Then of course there’s the keyboards, the bass, the drums, they all are aggressively apart of the music. But, the next best aspect of this album has got to be the dual vox that seem to go together like birds of a feather, at least when played alongside the already semi-explained music. Basically, you have lead vocalist Nathan Gearhart going berserk with super deep growling, while the bassist accompanies him like a backer, seemingly always at the right time with these high shrieks. Okay, nothing new about the combo is what you must be thinking. But, know this. Nathan NEVER overpowers the music, but rather walks with it hand in hand, as he enunciates every syllable he grunts. Basically, you have 4 beats (not drum beats, but like… Well, fuck, you’ll know when you hear it), right, and he’ll have four syllables, kind of mimicking the music as he sings. Add the not so predictable shrieks, and the music’s destructiveness increases 10 fold.

I noticed that some of their song structures are in a way similar to some songs found on Cannibal Corpse’s The Bleeding. DO NOT let that last sentence scare you. They have their own sound, and Cannibal Corpse ain’t got shit on VEHEMENCE! Trust me, the music alone is worth the buy. But the concept that completes the album? Double the price, I’ll still buy it.

In case you don’t want to know the story, end your reading here. If you are willing to allow me to continue, explaining the happenings in the lyrics as I describe the songs, please, continue.

Song 1, Made for her Jesus, is essentially the evil opener that in a way sets the pace, but in other ways, falls so very short of the rest of the album. It’s still a great listen, but as the opener it remains nothing more than a standard setter. Alright, get ready for the sophomoric part that makes this album fun… Essentially, the song depicts a girl in her high school years I assume, in her nightgown as she stares into the image of Jesus Christ on her wall. Essentially, she has fallen in love with Jesus whom she prays to, and begins to masturbate. Suddenly, the door pops open, and in comes the reason she prays so hopefully for a miracle: Her abusive father. Essentially, the father rapes her constantly... anally as we eventually find out.

Song 2, She Never Noticed Me, is a little while before the incident with the dad bursting in furiously on his daughter masturbating to Jesus. This song opens sweetly like a serenade, and then goes into total madness, become almost symphonic thanks to strong keyboards. It eventually goes ballistic, and appropriately so, because so does the narrator. But, it is how beautifully the song ends that kills me every time… Basically, I will let you find this part out for yourself. Story wise, we are taken back in time a bit, and introduced to another main character. Essentially, a troubled young man notices a girl in his classroom, and becomes infatuated with everything about her. The legs. The skirt riding high on them. The bruises on her lips. Yeah, same girl. Well, she never notices him, so he goes berserk, and decides no one can have her. Finding her home, he plays peeping tom, and peers through the window as she masturbates to Jesus. He essentially falls in love.

Song 3, Fantasy from Pain, essentially is the same scene from the first song, from a different point of view, and then some. Music wise, I think this song has the most depressive beauty of them all. On top of that, it’s chaotic. Unexplainably chaotic. The story continues, enter the father, commence the rape. Essentially the troubled young man becomes the hero, after touching himself some, and bursts through the window, only to beat the shit out of the father, basically killing his ass. Then, he turns to the girl, and she sees something in him that automatically makes him the perfect candidate to get between her legs.

Song 4, Christ, I fucking hate you!, opens with one of those leads I was talking about, where you just feel really emotional while listening. Essentially, as the story goes, the reason she decides to give it up for the young man is because she’s delusional, and believes he’s Christ finally answering her prayers. During sex, he realizes this, and kills her. Guess what, because she thought he was Christ during the sex when he killed her, now he’s blaming Christ for what happened to her. It only gets sicker.

Song 5, Lusting for Affection, essentially taps Vehemence’s old brutality, and really gets down and dirty with some deep break downs. The only story in this particular song is the young man’s back story; his neglecting parents causing him to turn out as he has. You know, as a sexual predator.

Song 6, The Last Fantasy of Christ, is a fucking ride. You’ll know after you hear it. Part of me really feels close to this song because before I bought the album, this was one of the two songs I was sampling from them. It was inspirational, really, they way this song just blistered so beautifully. I lifted to it, and dreamed of great things. Essentially, the song is almost about a dream… but, I’ll get to that. First, I got to make mention of the slowed, powerful breakdown experience in the latter half of the song. If you don’t buy the album, DL this song to hear this part. Just do it. Okay, as for the lyrics. Essentially, because the young man feels he was Jesus for a moment, he understands Jesus’ existence. One man can’t handle so much. Uses a suicide to make himself famous and whatnot. Really, it’s a lot more powerful than I’m making it sound. You just have to read it for yourself.

Song 7, I didn’t Kill Her, is essentially the MONSTER of the album. It’s the most insane lyric wise, as well as being an epic 8 + minute long death fest that just annihilates you from the depressive lead in the beginning all the way through the well written, beautifully played out riffing that pretty much controls the next 6 and a half minutes, all the way until the creepy and original sound clip at the end of the song that leaves a dark feeling in your soul. I really can’t describe this epic musically, except by saying it’s more fulfilling than any Opeth/Blind Guardian/etc. epic I’ve ever heard. Yeah, I feel contrieved after saying that. But, it fucking slays. Lyrics wise, well, I suppose there’s a little room for insight. Essentially, our hero goes to the graveyard of his beloved, and digs her up, bare hands, and takes her sexually one last time. Nathan Gearhart hold’s no punches when writing the lyrics for this, in all it’s descriptiveness. But, it’s the parts that make it human… the lyrics like: “Laying her across the dirt, her crucifix glimmers, upon her silky breasts, cold and hard from cruel earth…” Childish as they may be, it really humanizes the situation. Makes it sicker. Such sentimentality… sick.

Song 8, God was created, the young man comes to an amazing revalation…

OH!!! Guess I finally got you immersed in the story, eh? Well, guess what? You’re going to have to find out how brutally it ends yourself! HAHAHAH! Hopefully this will teaser you people into getting this absolute masterpiece. And don’t cheat yourself at DarkLyrics.com, that’s a terrible way to wreck a good opportunity. As far as song 8-10, they all slay, and like I said, it only gets sicker as it continues.

My personal score couldn’t be high enough to show how much I enjoy this release. 100/100, hands down. But, I’m going to be fair, and give it the score that I think would come out if it were the mean of all the averages of the board, because not everyone can love everything. I predict an average of 95, so there it must be so… 95/100, but remember, if you ask me, the album is absolutely perfect, 100/100.

95/100.

Ditto. Perfect album. One of the top three albums I've ever heard, depending on my mood, sometimes it is number one. He said everything just like I would have, except I would've mentioned the awesome solo in I Must Not Live. He is right, no other album sounds like this album.

I defintely agree, such an amazing powerful album
definetly my top 3 of all time and I Didnt Kill Her is probably my favorite song of all time, so remember, next time your in Mass or RI, Play I Didnt Kill Her haha

Oh how the Olson twins have grown up...

......Anyways, yeah, GWC is a great album, when I first got it there was about a month where I listened to it pretty much exclusively...

Nathan, the concept on that album is fuckin' AWESOME. I think the titles of the songs were a put-off for most people because they seemed too blatant ("Christ, I Fucking Hate You!")... but it was their loss. You really had some neat lyrical themes and literary concepts, as well as a bizarre sort of theological vision with that album as a whole... Definately a unique approach...

The reviewer hit the nail on the head in every regard I think... He obviously loves the album and gave it the attention (I think) it deserves.

:headbang:

Amazing review. I totally agree with that guy and he also confirmed a lot of the things I have seen as the lyrical concepts. He even helped me understand more of it. He should have given the album 100 anyway, despite his explaination in the end of the review. And by the way, I dont think the picture of the Olsen sisters is new because I have heard that they have got anorexia and that their boobs are gone(hehe). Fucking pressure from the film business.

lmfao, and awesome review, i love the man now, lmao ;( I love the intro riff in I must not live... godly shit, and well the fucking whole album... yeah it clarified some stuf i was like 'wtf is with the last fantasy of christ' jsut cause i suck at interpreting other's work, lol :(