The Lotus Eater

I really don't undeerstand how you people on this forum have come to love this track so much. First time I listened to it, my first thought was hmm, I like the humming. Then as soon as the heavy stuff begins, the only glaring thought I had was "this is definitely not Opeth". Call it experimentation if you will, but it's experimentation in the wrong direction. I don't see an increase in songwriting skills. I see regress. The guitar riffs are simplistic and quite generic. Moreover, the vocals gritted my teeth. There's processing and artificiality everywhere, and I feel the pressure from a commercial entity like Roadrunner coming across all too well unfortunately. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a sell-out, but its definitely a step in the wrong direction.

All that said, I'm still going to buy the album, but next time, I wonder...

I couldnt agree more, everything you said hit the proverbial nail on the head, generic is true, undeniable actually, i wanted as all here want a great opeth album to play time and time again as with previous releases but if the album is to be similar to this them it will get few spins, i think the track TLE is mash, like mike didnt know what direction he wanted to go in and it dosent flow well at all, no interesting guitar riffs just meh stuff, sorry if this makes peeps upset but i wish this wasnt what i thought but im being honest

I see TLE the same way I see Silhouette. Completely unexpected and an overall gorgeous vibe to it. Don't expect it to be the GoP of Watershed, but rather that standout track that knocks you off your feet.

Edit: sorry Metalmaster, just realised you pretty much expressed the same thing. Tute on!

I really don't undeerstand how you people on this forum have come to love this track so much. First time I listened to it, my first thought was hmm, I like the humming. Then as soon as the heavy stuff begins, the only glaring thought I had was "this is definitely not Opeth". Call it experimentation if you will, but it's experimentation in the wrong direction. I don't see an increase in songwriting skills. I see regress. The guitar riffs are simplistic and quite generic. Moreover, the vocals gritted my teeth. There's processing and artificiality everywhere, and I feel the pressure from a commercial entity like Roadrunner coming across all too well unfortunately. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a sell-out, but its definitely a step in the wrong direction.

All that said, I'm still going to buy the album, but next time, I wonder...

I really don't undeerstand how you people on this forum have come to love this track so much. First time I listened to it, my first thought was hmm, I like the humming. Then as soon as the heavy stuff begins, the only glaring thought I had was "this is definitely not Opeth"

I love your pompous attitude. You must be American.

Call it experimentation if you will, but it's experimentation in the wrong direction. I don't see an increase in songwriting skills. I see regress. The guitar riffs are simplistic and quite generic. Moreover, the vocals gritted my teeth.

Again, more pompousness and a kind of smug attitude that can only come from someone who thinks they are some kind of elite human.

There's processing and artificiality everywhere, and I feel the pressure from a commercial entity like Roadrunner coming across all too well unfortunately. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a sell-out, but its definitely a step in the wrong direction.

HAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAAHH!

I really don't undeerstand how you people on this forum have come to love this track so much. First time I listened to it, my first thought was hmm, I like the humming. Then as soon as the heavy stuff begins, the only glaring thought I had was "this is definitely not Opeth"

I love your pompous attitude. You must be American.

Call it experimentation if you will, but it's experimentation in the wrong direction. I don't see an increase in songwriting skills. I see regress. The guitar riffs are simplistic and quite generic. Moreover, the vocals gritted my teeth.

Again, more pompousness and a kind of smug attitude that can only come from someone who thinks they are some kind of elite human.

There's processing and artificiality everywhere, and I feel the pressure from a commercial entity like Roadrunner coming across all too well unfortunately. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a sell-out, but its definitely a step in the wrong direction.

HAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAAHH!

Are you a halfwit? Are you employed by opeth to smoke cock and defend the faith at every given opportunity?
Given that your so down to earth and god forbid you would be an elitist, is is not possible for someone to give there honest opinion, be it negative ( and imo true) METALSTRM is stating what HE thinks of the song and you can express what YOU think of also. Its not agreat track, infact very poor and im sure there are others who will agree, so ETERNALNOW stop wishing that mike will see you stand up for his song writing on this forum and let live your fanboy dream of tugging the band off when your on your fantasy tour with them:Smug:

make music. not war.

The lotus eater is an interesting track. When I first heard it... definitely a new side to Opeth... and probably one of the more 'experimental' songs off the album (I would hazard a guess)

I don't need to walk around with a disclaimer saying I despise Bush and the neoconservative lifestyle. I'm American, and I like The Lotus Eater. Don't be a douche-bag just because some of US are.

I'm American, and I think that TLE is one of the best tracks they've ever done. Relentlessly creative with a perfect flow that throws just the right amount of curveballs. If the rest of the album is this good..... I'll... I'll... I'll be making my *O*(peth) face.

was somewhat confused when hearing this and the other songs at first ... but they do grow A LOT ... I think it will take a couple more months to really know the songs, but I'm starting to love them, something I never really had with GR. so I'm definitely back on the Opeth track after some merging doubts with GR (just was a bit nervous to see the direction after that, not that I hate the album at all!)

Did someone notice the Arch Enemy "sonar" sound at 1:16...??:)

Listen to the song my apocalypse from doomsday machine.... that sound/effect is also recurs in lot of old arch enemy songs.
Also the riff is very arch enemy imho! Maybe Akesson suggested akerfeldt to put a little arch enemy moment!

--

Well its simply keys as has been stated. You can hear Per playing other notes with the same patch.

I can't get enough of TLE. I just love it. One of my favorite things they have ever done.

I feel like this forum (all forums, in fact) could benefit a lot from using E-Prime (like Robert Anton Wilson discussed).