The Maidens On The Road

:
istanbul5centurymosque.jpg

I believe this is the Haiga (Haifa?) Sophia, an historic mosque- which is supposed to be incredible on the inside. We got there too late to have a look about but Wanda picked up a book of the interior - just incredible!

If it's from the 4th century, it must not have started as a mosque, since Islam wasn't founded until early in the 7th century.

Looks like Aja beat me to it :)

That's Hagia Sophia;
(Greek: Ἁγία Σοφία; "Holy Wisdom", Turkish: Ayasofya) is a former patriarchal basilica, later a mosque, now a museum, in Istanbul, Turkey. Famous in particular for its massive dome, it is considered the epitome of Byzantine architecture. It was the largest cathedral in the world for nearly a thousand years, until the completion of the Medieval Seville Cathedral in 1520.

More info and pics @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagia_Sofia

Too bad you didn't get to go inside... My hubby visited it several years ago, and he still talks about it... lol

Thanks for sharing all the cool pics :)

Is that why they were throwing flowers to our feet all the time, Sara?
OMG, you should have been there for the band dinner the first night at the Athens MMD Festival. They had the entire restaraunt reserved for all the bands on the bill and each table had a name card with the name of the band assigned to that table so you knew who you were rubbing elbows with. Towards the end of dinner, Sara let out a MASSIVE belch and everybody just busted up and the contest was on! EVERYBODY at ALL the tables were just belching left and right trying to top the lovely Ms. Marsh's release of air. It was definitely a spectacle to behold and an odd symphony for the ears. Hahahahaha!!!!!

... many cultures allow (encourage) belching during and after a meal...

...Sara let out a MASSIVE belch and everybody just busted up and the contest was on! EVERYBODY at ALL the tables were just belching left and right trying to top the lovely Ms. Marsh's release of air...!!!!!

That'a girl Sara, show em a good ole USA belch! The out belching eachother contest would have been hilarious to hear, wish I could have been there for that! I'm more encouraged to go to there now. No gas pains now, just let'r rip! Fear of the burp (or fart?). Ewww, the nasty smell...