3. Lost Again >mp3
4. Chemical Dreams
5. Bleed >mp3
6. Dead Thought Matrix
7. Liquid Christ
8. We Betray
9. Nothingheart

Eden's Fall - Harmony Of Lies

Here’s the debut long-player from Chicago’s EDEN’S FALL. Formed in 2000, the band’s released a demo the next year which was good enough to get them signed to Nothingheart Records and now, five years later, they’re ready for the Metal media to pass judgment on their first offering.

I’ve found that so far a lot of the judgment consists of people pointing at them and crying “NEVERMORE clone/rip-off/influenced,” depending on the reviewer’s overall opinion of the band. I’ll agree that NEVERMORE’s unique blend of dark Power, Thrash and anything else they need is certainly the primary influence/sound alike, but there’s more to EDEN’S FALL than that. They turn up the Thrash aspect in a very PANTERA manner, though that similarity is in part due to vocalist John Barr’s resemblance to Phil Anselmo when he’s singing clean. There are other influences; after a thrash introduction, “Blur The Lines” settles into a groove forged from the blood of MANOWAR’s enemies.

This album has gotten a bit better each time I listen to it. At first Barr’s “I’m always mad and sneering” vocals really grated my nerves and I still think they’re the weak part of the album, but they’ve become more tolerable. Tony Gronowski and Rob Aquino turn in some really good work on guitars, again in the NEVERMORE vein but with more solos. The opening solo on “Blur The Lines” is especially memorable, partially because it’s the first thing on the album we hear, partially because it’s a hook-laden, considerably awesome run. There’s also a repeated harmony bridge in “Bleed” that’s worth your time.

Oh yeah, I should also point out that the production is excellent and courtesy of Dan Swanö (EDGE OF SANITY, NIGHTINGALE, about a billion other bands including two he came up with this morning).

EDEN’S FALL haven’t produced a perfect release or even one that will make many waves in the Metal community. Given time, they have the opportunity to grow into something special. For now I’m content to sit back and enjoy this album for what it is; different enough to be recognizable and good enough for a few spins. (Online April 20, 2006)

Keith Stevens