The mighty power trio that is RUSH

yep. rush. they own.

s/t through moving pictures = godly!!!
the rest = pretty damn good as well!

songs DO NOT get any better than "2112", "xanadu", "closer to the heart", and on and on... one of these days i will complete my rush collection. i only own: fly by night, caress of steel, 2112, a farewell to kings, moving pictures, roll the bones and vapor trails. but i have heard all the rest.

The only Rush album I've ever heard is Hold My Fire or something like that. I didn't think too much of it. Prog just ain't my thing.

Well I think everyone knows that the be all, end all of prog for me is King Crimson, but... Rush definitely kicks ass. I only own Moving Pictures, which is pretty hit or miss for me. I don't dig the far-too-happy stuff, but could listen to Tom Sawyer for hours on end.

When I was a young 'un, people grew up either listening to Maiden, Motorhead, and Thin Lizzy OR Rush, Yes, and Kansas. Needless to say I grew up with on the Maiden side of the fence. And even then, very few people listened to prog in Europe back then - it was never as popular as it was in the US I think.

A Farewell To Kings is awesome, but it is the epic title track of Hemispheres that grabs me by the balls.

Dreamlord, fyi Hold your Fire is not one of their better releases. There are4 songs that I like, but it is much too adult contemporary sounding as a whole. Not sure if they have any releases that you would really be into.

This band went thru phases as far as sound, yet they always maintained the identifiable sound. Probably Geddy's crazy ass voice.

I was into Rush in their Power Windows days and saw them live.
To this day I still remember the drum solo at Madison Square Garden that Neil Peart performed.
There is a reason that he is hailed by many as the greatest living drummer ... the guy is an octopus.

What can I say about Geddy, Alex, and Neil that hasn't been said already? Love them, through nearly all of their phases (including the synth-heavy one...Grace Under Pressure is one of my favorites from them), but the epic period is the one I come back to the most frequently. And they were the first prog band I got into, so they played a key role in developing my tastes.

I like the first rush albums, the 78 disc from Different Stages, and the Rush in Rio live set is amazing, if only to hear those insane fucking brazilians sing along, even to the instrumentals!
they love their metal down there.

I just finished neil peart's book about his 55,000 mile motorcycle ride trying to cope with the deaths of his daughter and wife. poor fucker.

lizard said:
I like the first rush albums, the 78 disc from Different Stages, and the Rush in Rio live set is amazing, if only to hear those insane fucking brazilians sing along, even to the instrumentals!
they love their metal down there.

I just finished neil peart's book about his 55,000 mile motorcycle ride trying to cope with the deaths of his daughter and wife. poor fucker.
What is the title of that book and where can I get it?

Rush....if I remember rightly, I first listened to them when they appeared on Top 10 Prog Prock on Channel 4...which must've been about two years ago. Something like that. They had a slot on there and I liked the clips I heard. I know about just before summer 2002 I borrowed the Chronicles (is it called that?) 2CD compilation album off a mates' dad and copied as many songs as I could onto cassette...Finding My Way was my favourite from them lot. I remember a few months later going up another mate's house and putting on his dad's vinyl copy of 2112 while piss drunk, and getting as far as the first proper song and thinking it was the coolest thing ever...a week or two later I listened to the whole album sober and thought that after that song it was total crap...

At this moment in time, I do like Rush, but the only songs I can name that I like are Finding My Way, The Temples Of Synrinx and Spirit Of Radio. Everything else I forgot. I'd like to listen to Xanadu again though cos one of my happiest memories of Top 10 Prog Rock is Geddy Lee going "Xaaaaanaaaaaaaduuuuuu!" in blue light :saint: someday soon maybe!

That sucks. I know how it feels to spend a holiday in jail, speaking from experience.

That mugshot is horrible, he looks pretty roughed up. I wonder what this will mean for Rush's proposed 30th anniversary tour. I'll bet Uncle Sam thinks he's a terrorist.

What's truly fucked on the media's part is how they list their early '80's hits, like he's some aging rock dinosaur who hasn't done anything since then...

Idiots.