The most brilliant female vocalists in all of music?

While I'm fond of Janis Joplin, I'd have to say the most brilliant female vocalist is Kim Deal from The Breeders. Pod from 1990 is just astounding. It's a pity she doesn't stick with Steve Albini though because when she goes to other producers I can barely stand to listen to the results.

Patti Smith =D she's a fantastic singer and songwriter
Agreed with both.... what about Natalie Merchant? I liked her on the unplugged album... good version of Because the Night (Patti's song written by Springsteen correct?)

I love PJ.

pj_harvey.jpg

^ Wow. I just youtubed "Rid of Me". She has quite a shamanic way of playing, doesn't she? It's as if the female gender finally coughed up their counterpart for Jim Morrison, haha.

you mean this live version?

Yeah. Serious goosebumps every time I watch it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably not what you are looking for, but expressive and passionate in another way i suppose would be Diamanda Galas. Her voice oftens sends shivers up my spine. In a slightly less demented way, Julie Christmas has got something special going on that i haven't heard another woman match. If you want something more "pretty", i've always been pretty big on Loreena McKennitt.

I also don't care if she fits into your "exclusion" criteria, i think Anneke is just amazing.

Okay, I'm not saying these girls are the best vocalists in all of music; but ever since I saw them play live with Leonard Cohen, I've been in love with them:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t1uV96aPTM&feature=related[/ame]

But in all honesty, you can't hate on Ayumi Hamasaki. Shes really just amazing. Japan really has way better quality pop than alot of countries.

Is this a joke? Ayu can hardly sing, Pro Tools and vocoders all up in her shit. BoA, Suzuki Ami, Koda Kumi, Namie Amuro, and Yui are all far better.

In terms of vocal versatility and raw talent Japan's pop princesses are pretty piss poor.

Lisa Gerrard, Tori Amos for her songwriting, and Siouxsie Sioux just because I love her.

Yeah, pop music seems to have an edge over rock in terms of female talent. Then again, I'm not sure a male voice is quite as appropriate in the context of pop. :lol:

I haven't listened to Paramore yet, but they've been talked about so much here that I feel I ought to.

Two things... the singer from Paramore is very talented, you should definitely check them out...

Also, don't confuse the "talent" of female pop singers for "digital enhancement" . Auto Tune (or Melodyne) is a horrible thing.

Jennifer Warnes is prety cool, but I've heard better. Nico is my favorite female folk singer by far. Also, I don't see whats so big about Paramore tbh. I can get into some Muse and Kings Of Leon's first two albums, but I just can't get into Paramore.

My vote for greatest female vocalist ever goes to OFRA HAZA (may will be like Ofra who?), sadly she passed away in 2000 :

Cover of Led Zeppelin's Kashmir!

With Sisters of Mercy

CHECK THAT VOICE! Said to have the most Upper Harmonic tones of any singer in history.

Cover of Madonna's 'Open Your Heart'

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YswP6azmRxQ&feature=related[/ame]
'I'm Nin Alu' (huge hit in Europe in 1988)

'Genesis'

Last one above meant to be 'Genesis' this one :

3rd time lucky this is Genesis :

Sorry no idea why it kept posting other link.

I've noticed that a lot of you have mentioned Bjork. I think I could really get into her if the rest of her stuff is the same quality as this.

PJ Harvey
Kate Bush
Regina Spektor
Natasha Khan
Joanne Hogg
Brooke Fraser
Moya Brennan
Enya
Bjork

As for Paramore, HW is the only reason I like them at all. They write decent to average pop songs but with her singing them, they're automatically better.

Ah, yes, a local talent. She died of AIDS.

Lisa Gerrard is pretty good,when she doesn't dive into middle-eastern ooh-la-la-lahs.
From Dead Can Dance I always liked Perry's vocals much better, though this isn't the thread to discuss him.

Yeah, I can't argue with that, considering my fav Dead Can Dance song is "The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove."

I don't listen to them much but they have some amazing songs alright. Xavier is one of my favorites. But one thing about them is that they're often so incredibly depressing to listen to. Used to be in awe with them once.

Lots. Some that I have listened to lately, that are/were pretty good.

Billie Holiday
Moya Brennan
Anna Netrebko
Suzie Leblanc