The most brilliant female vocalists in all of music?

zabu of nΩd

Free Insultation
Feb 9, 2007
I'm not huge into female-fronted bands, but there are a few ladies out there who are so passionate, expressive, sensuous and purely magical in their vocal delivery that they just melt my mind and give me shivers all over. I'd like to discover more women of this caliber, so I'm creating this thread in hopes that someone else here knows of a few. Please refrain from posting unremarkable shit like Tarja Turunen, Angela Gossow, Sharon den Adel, and any generic goth/emo chicks.

Here are the amazing female vocalists I'm familiar with, in rough order of how much I like their music:

Elizabeth Fraser (Cocteau Twins)
Beth Gibbons (Portishead)
Björk
Gilli Smyth (Gong)
Melora Creager (Rasputina) (not terrific, but she has her moments)

I know Janis Joplin belongs in this category too, but I haven't listened to any of her albums yet, and I'm not sure how much I dig her style since she seems like a bit of a tomboy. :lol: Sinéad O'Connor's another great vocalist that I've only heard a tiny bit of.

* waits for somebody to say that chick from Paramore *

I like Ximena Sarinara a lot lately, but I'm not sure I'd say she's the best ever or anything. I really don't listen to female vocalists that often, it's unfortunate that so many of them don't seem to be that good, specifically in rock music.

Yeah, pop music seems to have an edge over rock in terms of female talent. Then again, I'm not sure a male voice is quite as appropriate in the context of pop. :lol:

I haven't listened to Paramore yet, but they've been talked about so much here that I feel I ought to.

Don't listen to any of those but Portishead, but Beth Gibbons is amazing. I'm sure the others are great too.

Kate Bush - I like her most experimental stuff (her album "The Dreaming" and "The Ninth Wave", which are songs 6-12 on her album "Hounds of Love") the most.

Kari Bremnes - Music-wise, my favourite album is still "Løsrivelse", whose lyrics are poems written in prose by the Norwegian painter Edvard Munch. My overall favourite song from that album is "Skrik":

Here's a live version of this song (which sounds a bit different):
http://karibremnes.no/video/videos/kari_bremnes_concert_2009/skrik_720_x_405.html

Another two of my favourite songs from "Løsrivelse" are

I also like her cover of Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows" (she sings it in Norwegian) very much:

Some other of my favourite female vocalists are:

Emma Härdelin (singer of the Swedish folk rock band Garmarna)
Lisa Gerrard (though my interest in her solo works has declined after "Duality")
Sainkho Namtchylak
The Bulgarian Voices Angelite (formerly known as Le Mystère Des Voix Bulgares)
Parissa (www.parissa.org)
Mahsa and Marjan Vahdat (I like this album very much: http://www.kkv.musiconline.no/shop/displayAlbum.asp?id=35224)

Last edited by a moderator:
I love female vocalists, the music world is full of great female vocalists, the voices of angels but as we know beneath lies a cool hearted bitch

Janis had the most incredible performances but not the most solid library of music to find them. Just some stand out unsurpassed performances, she had soul, pure passion, it takes a troubled and tortured person to expel that kind of passion. She was special.

Etheridge best since with a solid libary. Prescious Pain my favorite song

Nora Jones so sweet

Ann Wilson - a girl that knew how to rock and kick it out, she also had a sweet side

Alot of heart melting voices in both Folk and Jazz

A lot of good ones already said (Kate Bush, Lisa Gerrard, Liz Fraser etc.)

Joanna Newsom, love her or hate her, she is awesome.

I don't really dig that "soothing" folky stuff. Probly because I haven't had the time to dig into the genre, so I can't criticize that at another level.

But Kate, Kari, and Bjork just seem overly gimmicky. Sure they're good singers its just the music doesn't get me.

Lisa seems very good though.

But in all honesty, you can't hate on Ayumi Hamasaki. Shes really just amazing. Japan really has way better quality pop than alot of countries.

While I'm fond of Janis Joplin, I'd have to say the most brilliant female vocalist is Kim Deal from The Breeders. Pod from 1990 is just astounding. It's a pity she doesn't stick with Steve Albini though because when she goes to other producers I can barely stand to listen to the results.

Ok, I just made use of this thread for the first time tonight and watched some Joanna Newsom vids on Youtube. What a fucking weird chick, haha. I guess she's pretty talented, but I can't imagine getting into her music. Maybe an occasional listen on a blue moon.