The most epic thing you'll hear today, guaranteed...

Backe

Space Cowboy
Mar 7, 2010
Borlänge, Sweden
Got bored today and realized I had an ol' M-Audio KeyRig 49 just laying around. So I got 300gb of software, then punched Joey Sturgis in the face with the part which comes at 1:04
When boredom strikes.. I make epic stuff happen. This will be the album opener for my band's upcoming album "The Life, The Love, The War".

**TRACKING IS FINISHED**
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10612702/Beginnings_Master2.mp3

Some of the shit I used: Superior 2.0 with Slate for all the skins, Nick Crow 8505 with ASEM Recto+Orange impulses in LeCab2, Pod Farm, Ampeg SVX, Waves and PSP plugins, Cubase. There is alot of other shit in there too, so if you're wondering about something else, don't be afraid to ask!
Keys: Symphobia, Heavyocity Evolve, Pianissimo, Miroslav Philharmonik
Hardware: Line6 TonePort UX2, LTD EC-500 w/ EMG81/60, SM7B for vocals

Lyrics:

Come little boy, this is a war
It's you versus the world
You'll battle with pencils and papers and words
You'll sing about how love comes first, second and third
And people will feel so alive that it hurts

And when pretty young girls stand in line for the show
There's that serpent-like temptress in the back of the row
She makes the blood flow through your heroin veins
But save all your heartache and pain for the grave

Choices so heavy they split you in two
This world has no place for a poet like you

Don't think for a second you're worth something more
You're a failure who fell for a harlot's allure
You've burned every bridge and you've closed every door
Now ready yourself for the life, the love, the war

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you please tell me what synth's you used and for what?

This is sick bro good work!

EDIT: took another listen... what is that 'hissing' noise thats heard behind he pianos in the very beginning? It starts to get louder and stops @ 0:18. It went perfectly with this.

Hey mate I hope you don't mind me asking but by any chance, can we have a chance at mixing this? I always wanted to try mixing a whole orchestral yet heavy riff kind of mix.

I think the song is weird...It sounds like an intro without the rest of the parts, not really a song...That theme is great but you should develop it a lot more

Kick is way too upfront and sits over the rest of the mix, guitar are too much in the background

I like your Intro Mix, everything in the right place...just nice brother, I can smell you. *sniff sniff hahaha *hi5

Mind share what you use in the song?

I think the song is weird...It sounds like an intro without the rest of the parts, not really a song...That theme is great but you should develop it a lot more

Kick is way too upfront and sits over the rest of the mix, guitar are too much in the background

dude, is this was the pinnacle of my songwriting endeavours i'd do like kurt cobain and put a shotgun to my mouth.

if you're not too busy being a genious, i could tell you why it sounds like an intro: BECAUSE, IT IS *drumroll dRRRRRRRRR* AN INTRO! tada

well, you're right about the kick. the guitars.. well, when you've got 14 tracks of symphonic crap going you don't really want the guitars to fuck with them.

but thanks, i appreciate all criticism!

Can you please tell me what synth's you used and for what?

This is sick bro good work!

EDIT: took another listen... what is that 'hissing' noise thats heard behind he pianos in the very beginning? It starts to get louder and stops @ 0:18. It went perfectly with this.

Hey mate I hope you don't mind me asking but by any chance, can we have a chance at mixing this? I always wanted to try mixing a whole orchestral yet heavy riff kind of mix.

thanks man! Philharmonik for all the strings and choirs, Symphobia and Evolve for all the "effect" strings and just regular effects (like those really low booms). there is a bit of "hissing" in the very beginning, but that is the result of Pianissimo's built-in reverb meeting Ozone's clipper, but it sounds pretty "vinyl" and retro, so I kept it that way. if you're referring to that reverse cymbal-ish sound, that is "Perc Cymbal FX" something within Evolve :)

sure, the song is in progress now, a lot of stuff is going to be added, my vocals for example. but i'll probably post another thread when all is finished and perhaps one of those "MIXING TIME FUCKERS; DI'S INSIDE"-threads aswell

I like your Intro Mix, everything in the right place...just nice brother, I can smell you. *sniff sniff hahaha *hi5

Mind share what you use in the song?

lucky for you i just showered then! ;)
and thanks, everything i use (nearly) is mentioned in the first post, if you want presets and such you're gonna have to give me a day or two.

dude, is this was the pinnacle of my songwriting endeavours i'd do like kurt cobain and put a shotgun to my mouth.

if you're not too busy being a genious, i could tell you why it sounds like an intro: BECAUSE, IT IS *drumroll dRRRRRRRRR* AN INTRO! tada

well, you're right about the kick. the guitars.. well, when you've got 14 tracks of symphonic crap going you don't really want the guitars to fuck with them.

but thanks, i appreciate all criticism!

Sorta +1 to cocky prick.

Waves, PSP plugins AND symphobia. Must have cost you a pretty penny

the mix lacks some beefiness, probably could be solved by adding a bit of bass to it. Songwriting was okay, but the most epic thing I heard today was the orchestral version of Progenies of the Great Apocalypse.

i'll probably post another thread when all is finished and perhaps one of those "MIXING TIME FUCKERS; DI'S INSIDE"-threads aswell

if you want presets and such you're gonna have to give me a day or two.

This would be awesome!

seems like people are taking me for some spoiled prick dickhead who can't take a little criticism.

well, I'm an 18 year old boy sitting in a rather small house in a little swedish village, it's dark outside, 15 degrees below freezing. i fucked life, and life fucked me back. i'm in love with a woman i can never have (no, it's not Miley Cyrus), i have no real friends and i spend most of my days infront of my computer. i have learned everything i know about both guitar playing and recording/mixing myself (off the internet and such), and i haven't paid a penny for any of the software i use, which is alot. it's all pirated off the internet, hell.. i can barely afford a pack of smokes these days. i have one talent (well, i'm pretty good in bed too, but that's besides the point), one passion and one dream, and that is to do and hopefully work with something i love, which in this case is music. i'm not a prick, i fucking love when people bash the living fuck out of me, if it gets me further along the way of becoming something. but when you're spending like 5 hours getting that Lord of the Rings-epicness for a certain string part, and the next five hours getting the drums sounding like something that could make joey sturgis dribble with envy, for the MIX/TONE forum, and some ALFRED einstein gives you shit for the SONGWRITING, AND (!) : you haven't slept for 31 hours, then you get a bit grumpy.

so yeah, for most of you this probably wasn't the most epic thing you've heard today. but you checked it out atleast, and some of you actually liked it. so i'm just saying, if you can't see yourself as the pride and glory of your fucking generation, then no one else can either. haha, what a post.. i need some sleep, or a drink, or both.

Sleep: drinking at this rate won't help you at all.
Also, except for that one growl great vocals. What did you use on them?

Sleep: drinking at this rate won't help you at all.
Also, except for that one growl great vocals. What did you use on them?

Haha, guess you're right!
And thanks. It's my SM7B into a TonePort UX2, but i fucked up and recorded it "wet" with some POD Farm preamp instead of clean through which made everything kinda distorted and muddy, i'll get on with finalizing and re-recording tomorrow when hopefully my voice is in better shape too, sleep does wonders. But as far as processing goes: PSP MixSaturator2 -> Waves RD-esser -> Waves SSLChannel (with just some EQ, Gate and a tad of Compressor since it was pretty comped on the way in), then all the vocal tracks ran into a group channel with just some minor EQ changes and all the effects as sends (Stock Cubase stuff, Delay, Verb, Cloner).

And you're right about the growl too, it just smashed everything to pieces along with the subdrop and rid this little intro of it's "niceness".

seems like people are taking me for some spoiled prick dickhead who can't take a little criticism.

well, I'm an 18 year old boy sitting in a rather small house in a little swedish village, it's dark outside, 15 degrees below freezing. i fucked life, and life fucked me back. i'm in love with a woman i can never have (no, it's not Miley Cyrus), i have no real friends and i spend most of my days infront of my computer. i have learned everything i know about both guitar playing and recording/mixing myself (off the internet and such), and i haven't paid a penny for any of the software i use, which is alot. it's all pirated off the internet, hell.. i can barely afford a pack of smokes these days. i have one talent (well, i'm pretty good in bed too, but that's besides the point), one passion and one dream, and that is to do and hopefully work with something i love, which in this case is music. i'm not a prick, i fucking love when people bash the living fuck out of me, if it gets me further along the way of becoming something. but when you're spending like 5 hours getting that Lord of the Rings-epicness for a certain string part, and the next five hours getting the drums sounding like something that could make joey sturgis dribble with envy, for the MIX/TONE forum, and some ALFRED einstein gives you shit for the SONGWRITING, AND (!) : you haven't slept for 31 hours, then you get a bit grumpy.

so yeah, for most of you this probably wasn't the most epic thing you've heard today. but you checked it out atleast, and some of you actually liked it. so i'm just saying, if you can't see yourself as the pride and glory of your fucking generation, then no one else can either. haha, what a post.. i need some sleep, or a drink, or both.

im not sure why, but i respect you alot more because of this.