The most expensive 4-in USB interface I've ever seen...

sound devices makes a lot of field recording gear. i used to use one of their field mixers when i did film work, this one looks good for field recording with a laptop, i recently started to do some film work and i was using my laptop and a bus powered firewire interface, wasnt the most rugged device. the one you showed has no balanced outputs, thats fine dont need it for field recording, just need a good headphone output, which it looks like it does.

I figure it's more expensive due to the pre being powered by the usb hub rathar than an external power supply.

Well that's nothing new, tons of USB interfaces are like that - and this thing may be built solid, but a metal case and strong pots are not enough to put the price $250 above its similarly spec'ed competitors, come on. And just cuz a live recording person doesn't need balanced outputs is no excuse to not have 'em.

sound devices makes a lot of field recording gear. i used to use one of their field mixers when i did film work, this one looks good for field recording with a laptop, i recently started to do some film work and i was using my laptop and a bus powered firewire interface, wasnt the most rugged device. the one you showed has no balanced outputs, thats fine dont need it for field recording, just need a good headphone output, which it looks like it does.

+1

Some of their equipment ridiculously over priced though.

yeah their stuff is really overpriced, but thats the lowend of stuff for field gear, go to a commercial equipment dealer and you will shit your pants at those prices.

until you've done field work, you wont understand the meaning of quality gear, i mean imagine monitoring/mixing the mics in a cramped back seat with shit load of other gear, all you have is a small mixer and maybe a preamp control if you have the space, so on average you have 30 pounds of gear in your lap, with headphones, its cramped its hot, and you need to get great audio, its not easy and i would not risk any of that on a crappy little $200 usb interface.