The Music Biz Can't Stem the Bleeding...

I want my wicked packaging, artworks, linear notes etc etc. Digital is great for the iPod etc, but I want physical form. Fuck download sales.

I much prefer buying CDs. Downloading music ruins the art in a way as people will only download several songs, and perhaps not appreciate the full album.

I do agree however that CDs could be made cheaper, although I dont know how much incentive that would really give to those who usually download to start buying again.

I love buyin teh CD.....the whole openin teh new package....lokin at teh artwork.....and cehckin out the liner notes...while the CD is playin.....that feeelin is just too cool to let go for a few bucks ........!!!!!........so yeah...CDs...all the way...!!!.......PEAC EOUT

I love buying cds! and what I love even more than buying cds is buying vinyl!
I got an Ipod for christmas, returned it and paid the money right back to my mom to settle some of my debt to her!

I can say I prefer physical form too. It's convenient as hell to click download when you don't have to leave your house or pay, but there's a much greater appreciation for the music when you have to buy it. And it's more enjoyable with many artists putting little special features and stuff in the package.
But I have a question. How do albums that haven't even been released get leaked in the first place?

promo copies go to radio stations, magazines and other reviewers and people in a position to play the songs before release, in order to generate buzz so that people will be aware of it and buy it on the first day. this is a major factor in record companies' assessment of how well a band sells - how many sell the first day, week, month.

not all of these people keep the secret, however, and the ego boost they get out of being in-the-know by slipping the music out to their friends is the cause of many leaks. friends have friends, who have friends, who use p2p, and then, everyone knows. sometimes leaks are even intentional, though never too far in advance as the intention is to generate talk and interest, rather than freely give away the album to everyone.

Oh...I should have known that. I bought a Morbid Angel promo CD for Heretic for like $2 and when I put it in the player, it said there were 99 tracks. So I looked on the case thing and it said, "Note: Track IDs on this promo disc do not correspond with the beginnings of actual songs, to prevent mp3 ripping. Please use the tracklist numbers listed to jump to individual tracks."
I was a little pissed, but I guess I should've read 1. that it was a promo CD and 2. that note part before buying it. :erk:

not all of these people keep the secret, however, and the ego boost they get out of being in-the-know by slipping the music out to their friends is the cause of many leaks. friends have friends, who have friends, who use p2p, and then, everyone knows.

usually the leak is obtained by a scene group who releases their rip and it disseminates from there. it's not simply a matter of friends having friends who use p2p.

I love buyin teh CD.....the whole openin teh new package....lokin at teh artwork.....and cehckin out the liner notes...while the CD is playin.....that feeelin is just too cool to let go for a few bucks ........!!!!!........so yeah...CDs...all the way...!!!.......PEAC EOUT

the amount of "teh" in here just cracked me up. waz <3

Even though I usually listen to songs in mp3 format, while working, walking or commuting, I don't think I ever will pay for mp3s. I buy the albums that I like, but I want them in physical form, with the artwork, lyrics, notes, etc. So I buy the CDs, then rip them to mp3 and put them on my ipod. When I'm home and I feel that I have time, I play the actual CD, but that happens rarely nowdays (after I got kids).

the amount of "teh" in here just cracked me up. waz <3

Get a room x!

Btw I agree with most here: it's all about the physical form. Downloads help me narrow down what I want to buy a bit more, so I maybe buy less trash nowadays, but I like to keep the postman busy with new music for me everyday! :devil:

Just need to find somewhere to store the feckin' things!!!!!11 :bah:

there's nothing like opening a new cd, unwrapping the plastic, removing the stickers, admiring the artwork, and then sitting down and letting the music come to you.
Definitely worth the money