The music nerd in me has to speak

Daybreaker

Red, Hot, and Heavy
Jul 6, 2002
San Antonio, TX
Visit site
You know I'm sitting here right now uploading what I can fit of my collection onto my new 60 gig Ipod. The sad thing is my laptop only has 35 gigs of memory haha. But as I'm sitting here loading, and loading, and loading, I'm taking the time to include album artwork, correct titles and all that. This very analytical approach for some reason has always appealed to me. Even the hard copies of my cds, whenever I get a new batch of seven to ten I always throw em on the towers and then "bask" in the ever expanding collection. I guess the reason I love these Ipods is because I can now do the same thing but onto a portable device. Does anyone else do this same thing, whether its the loaded pod or the alphabatized collection? I find this almost therapeutic, and I'm wondering if anyone else does the same anal retentive things that I do.

Haha, seriously though, I'm 8 gigs in and wrapping up Evergrey right now. When I get everything on here and scroll through the menus and look at all the art I'll prolly drop a deuce. Hell, the fact I even have one of these Ipods makes me wet. It's been a long time coming since I treated myself to something expensive and bad ass like that.

I've got a Dell 30GB and I have everything loaded onto it. It holds about 15, 000 songs and I've only got 6,000 so far (apprx. 600 CD's).

I keep all of my music in alphabetical order and MUST have artwork. Once I get about 10 CDs, I begin moving other cd's down the line to make room for the new ones in their alphabatized spot.

Rest assured your not alone. I have over 2,000 CD's all alphabatized by artist and then by title. And I can't imagine life without my ipod anymore.

Artist then title? ah cmon man you know you have to do it by release date, that's the RIGHT way.... hahaha I prolly should stop loading soon before my cd drive blows up. and sleep. That'd be good too.

Daybreaker said:
Artist then title? ah cmon man you know you have to do it by release date, that's the RIGHT way.... hahaha I prolly should stop loading soon before my cd drive blows up. and sleep. That'd be good too.

I used to have my entire collection organized by date of release, then within that alphabetized by artist. One time my uncle asked me if I would notice if he switched two CDs. I said yes. To test me, he switched a pair. I took one look at my rack at correctly noted that he had put Rush's "Caress of Steel" before "Fly By Night". :)

It got to a point, however, where even I couldn't find anything. I broke down and alphabetized everything by artist and title.

And all of a sudden I want a freakin' Ipod!

NP: Arabesque "The Union"

Daybreaker said:

That's the way I do it!
By artist and by release date...

On the iPod thing.. I bought a 60Gb iPod last month.. I still have a lot of catching up to do on my old CDs.. but every new CD I get is going straight to the iPod as well! ahahha

Daybreaker said:
You know I'm sitting here right now uploading what I can fit of my collection onto my new 60 gig Ipod. The sad thing is my laptop only has 35 gigs of memory haha. But as I'm sitting here loading, and loading, and loading, I'm taking the time to include album artwork, correct titles and all that. This very analytical approach for some reason has always appealed to me. Even the hard copies of my cds, whenever I get a new batch of seven to ten I always throw em on the towers and then "bask" in the ever expanding collection. I guess the reason I love these Ipods is because I can now do the same thing but onto a portable device. Does anyone else do this same thing, whether its the loaded pod or the alphabatized collection? I find this almost therapeutic, and I'm wondering if anyone else does the same anal retentive things that I do.

I'm right there with ya. I have four iPods -- a 40GB for my prog music, a 20GB U2 model for my rock music (arranged in playlists by year from 1965 until 1990), a blue 4GB Mini for my live and studio Grateful Dead, and a green 4GB Mini for my live Grateful Dead.

In my opinion, iPods rank right up there with penicillin, electricity, and food as one of mankind's greatest inventions. It's a thrill to be able to carry around a huge chunk of one's CD collection -- in my case, arranged by genre or year -- in glorious digital quality for easy listening anywhere.

The truly sad thing is that's less than half of my music. I also had to buy two 160GB external storage devices to handle some of the overflow.

And you can thank Ken Golden at LaserCD.com for that. He's a pusher. And progressive music is my drug.

Bill

Yo Bill, about how much does one of those 160GB (or even a little less like 50 GB) run, cos I'm gonna have to get one cos like I said, this cpu only has like 35 Gigs when the Ipod has friggin 60. Oh well, at least there's the potential in getting everything on here.

Beware of the 30 gig Ipods. I have one that will hold audio and video and I have gone through two since Christmas. Apparently I am not alone. The geek squad member at my local Best Buy said that this new wave of Ipods are screwing up after a couple of months.

My girl just got me one of the 60GB ones and I've just spent the better part of a month (after work) loading the "best of" 4000+ cds. It's all consuming. And now I'm borrowing cds from friends who collect pop stuff to add on some pop songs.

My cds are all alphabetical order, in date of release and I do bask in the expansion too. But now I wonder if I shouldn't just put some of the ones that didn't make the cut onto iPOD up for sale. I mean, there are cds whose "whole" is better than any of the parts and I find myself questioning owning them (artists like At Vance, Mob Rules, etc where I like the mood of the whole cd, I just don't have any songs that stand out alone).

And now I'm onto loading videos. Jesus Christ, the search for videos.....

Hey, BTW, how do you load the artwork for these cds?

the rhythm said:
Beware of the 30 gig Ipods. I have one that will hold audio and video and I have gone through two since Christmas. Apparently I am not alone. The geek squad member at my local Best Buy said that this new wave of Ipods are screwing up after a couple of months.

Good thing for those extended warranties then huh!!

Bear

woosta said:
My girl just got me one of the 60GB ones and I've just spent the better part of a month (after work) loading the "best of" 4000+ cds. It's all consuming. And now I'm borrowing cds from friends who collect pop stuff to add on some pop songs.

My cds are all alphabetical order, in date of release and I do bask in the expansion too. But now I wonder if I shouldn't just put some of the ones that didn't make the cut onto iPOD up for sale. I mean, there are cds whose "whole" is better than any of the parts and I find myself questioning owning them (artists like At Vance, Mob Rules, etc where I like the mood of the whole cd, I just don't have any songs that stand out alone).

And now I'm onto loading videos. Jesus Christ, the search for videos.....

Hey, BTW, how do you load the artwork for these cds?

If you have a scanner you can scan the image and save as a jpg and load into the same folder as the mp3 files and it will be there automatically when the album is selected to play.

Bear

Oh god, SCAN that many cds? I don't think I can devote the time. Although it would be REALLY nice. I had hoped there would be artwork pop up through iTUNES at least for the more "popular" releases.

Thanks for the info, though!

Bear said:
Good thing for those extended warranties then huh!!

Bear

Yeah, that is what is getting me new ones each time. I don't normally buy the warranties. Luckily it was a gift from my girlfriend.

Daybreaker said:
Yo Bill, about how much does one of those 160GB (or even a little less like 50 GB) run, cos I'm gonna have to get one cos like I said, this cpu only has like 35 Gigs when the Ipod has friggin 60. Oh well, at least there's the potential in getting everything on here.

Actually, 160GB storage isn't that expensive -- roughtly $140 or so. Anywhere from $120 to $180, depending on sales here and there. The company that makes it will also have an effect on price. Seagate, for example, tends to be more expensive because they're more of a name brand.

There are two versions: USB and Firewire. Because everything I own is Mac-based, I opt for Firewire. It tends to load faster. But it can then only be used by Macs (or so I've been told). The Firewire versions are often a bit higher priced.

USB is becoming more universal and even Apple no longer includes a Firewire cable with its iPods, although you can still buy one as an accessory.

I highly recommend external storage for everything from ripped music to digital photos. I've suffered through computer crashes before that wiped out my hard drive (when I was a PC kinda guy). So I avoid the heartache as much as possible by constantly making backups, CDs, and moving stuff to my external drive.

Problem is, music takes up a truckload of space. Before you know it, a 160GB unit will be full.

So, the moral of the story is this: Buy a reputable unit and get as many GBs as you can afford. A 250GB model, for example, wouldn't be unreasonable.

Now that I think about it, the price of these things is roughly $1 per GB, given or take. And they're worth every dime.

By the way, now that we're talking iPods and archiving all this glorious music that we love, there's a free program out there that you'll need to download to help make moving music easier (if not outright possible).

iPods are designed for moving music in one direction: from CDs to iPods. They're not (or at least mine aren't) made for moving music from iPods to anywhere else. That's a music industry safety feature, I imagine.

However, a product called Senuti (available from www.fadingred.org), allows you to copy anything on your iPod back to your computer, to an external drive -- whatever you wish. That produce has saved me countless hours. It's really an iPod lovers dream come true. Total freedom! Music on, music off. It's free. It's easy. And it's a time-saver.

Something to keep in mind regarding iPods...

They're not really meant to be storage devices. in other words, one could have a 1GB Nano (for about $150) and still enjoy all the music you could possibly hear in a week's time -- literally, listening all week long.

That's why I got the external storage. Plus Senuti. The idea is to rip all of your CDs (which, in my case, is about 2,500) and leave them on the external storage device. Then, you can use the iPod to store whatever you feel like listening to wherever you go. When you're done, replace it with what else you have on the external.

So, really, there's no need for a massive 60GB iPod. If you had a simple 1GB Nano or even a 4GB Nano, you could still be a happy camper if you had the ability to move your music quickly and easily (using Senuti) from an external device.

Bill

P.S. Geez. If all of this doesn't qualify as Nerd of the Month material, I don't know what does...

I just got an external 250GB harddrive from Dell for $112 shipping included. Western Digital My Book, I think it was.