The intro to Masquerade...

Apr 2, 2003
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Has anyone else noticed that the classical intro to Masquerade (the good version on the Odyssey and Prelude to the Millenium) has parts from Bach's "Toccata and Fugue"?

I'm house sitting for my neighbor, and she has a wicked classical collection, and I was listening to Toccata and Fugue (the Dracula theme for those of you who are unfamiliar with it), and I hear that one theme that gets thrown around to all the instruments right before Romeo does that speedy sixteenth-note run.

He didn't rip the whole thing off, just lifted parts, but I wish he'd given credit. Even so, it sounds cool as hell.

So did anyone else ever notice that?

I DID....but it's not quite the same thing...when i listened to it i noticed that he wanted to the something like toccata, but not "THE" TOCCATA... maybe he didn't do it on purpose...lol

Considering the way it's played, I have always looked at it as a nod to Yngwie, rather than a nod to Bach, though of course the nod to Bach would naturally be in there too.

Hyoukinmono said:
Considering the way it's played, I have always looked at it as a nod to Yngwie, rather than a nod to Bach, though of course the nod to Bach would naturally be in there too.

yeah...that's the best way to put it...

Divine Wings Of Tragedy said:
oh not this again, a classicaly trained and influnced musician is bound to compose similier things to classical
Is Michael Romeo classically trained? Why doesn't he take out the classical guitar at the concerts?

Kate Bush Rules! said:
Is Michael Romeo classically trained? Why doesn't he take out the classical guitar at the concerts?

Are you mad? Electric guitars are WAAAAAY more playable.
I also guess he is trying some harp imitation, constidering electirc guitar's neck pickup sounds quite a bit like harp.

yes mikey was taught classical for a year

I heard it wasn't even that long, more like a few months...but still even a year of classical guitar lessons wouldn't make someone a "classically trained" musician. Jordan Rudess, who went to Juliard from when he was 9 to when he was in his late teens and was ridgedly schooled in classical music I would consider classically trained.

gosh i dont even remember how that song goes anymore.. i havent got it..

Well then I highly recommend you look for a limited edition "The Odyssey"... or just get the re-recording of the first album when it comes out. Masquerade is top-of-the-line SX in my opinion.

even if he wasnt classicly trained, i bet he learned alot of classical pieces and incorporated alot of ideas from them. that's where u get the 'lifting parts' idea from

He took one year of classical lessons, then he decided to develope his own swtyle. I also think he knows classical guitar pieces. :Spin: The acoustic guitar intro to Candeligt Fantasia is the best example he studied classical. Michael Romeo did study harmony, orcestration and composition too.

yeah i dled masquerade 98 is that the same version as the one on the end of the odyssey (i didnt get the special edition odyssey just the reg one)
Masquerade 98 is alot better than the 1st one..

Luis said:
He took one year of classical lessons, then he decided to develope his own swtyle. I also think he knows classical guitar pieces. :Spin: The acoustic guitar intro to Candeligt Fantasia is the best example he studied classical. Michael Romeo did study harmony, orcestration and composition too.

The intro of Candlelight fantasia is all played with a pick. And Im certain he only studied classical for a few months because my friend talked to him about it once and thats what he said. Also, everything Romeo knows about harmony, orchestration, and composition he learned *on his own* he did not go to any school or have any teacher, hes entirely self taught. He is by no means a classical guitarist, and I think even he will say that. The only member of SyX who I think might be classically trained is Pinella and thats because I believe he did study in a conservatory.