Symphony X's inspiration

Progbass

Oct 18, 2002
Finland
Visit site
Don't get me wrong here I have nothing against copying or getting inspiration from somewhere because almost everyone do it, even me sometimes when I write music, but have you ever noticed where they have gotten some parts to their songs?
Accolade's middle part where is the violin, piano, etc has some influences from Kansas - miracles out of nowhere.
Divine wings intro is almost similar to Holst - Mars.
Candlelight fantasia's intro have some parts from ELP's - The only way(hymn) though ELP copied some parts from bach.
Trough the looking glass intro has similar notes than DT's surrounded
The death of balance has rhythm taken from mirror(well you probably knew that already...)
Awakenings intro got some influences from one of the Chopin's preludes(not sure it was a prelude).
And in The Odyssey one part reminds me of ELP's Trilogy middle part

Well, like I said that's only cool that they have many places to get inspiration.

i dont think if a part is similier in 2 songs considered inspiration, yes ELP was an influances as i heard but there is always a big chance atleast 2 songs share the same riff or idea (with all the songs in life 2 ought to share some parts)

The way I see it, there are only so many notes available and as more music is made, it becomes more and more likely that similar combinations of notes start to pop up. It's just a matter of statistical inevitability. :D

Progbass said:
Accolade's middle part where is the violin, piano, etc has some influences from Kansas - miracles out of nowhere.
Divine wings intro is almost similar to Holst - Mars.
Candlelight fantasia's intro have some parts from ELP's - The only way(hymn) though ELP copied some parts from bach.
Trough the looking glass intro has similar notes than DT's surrounded
The death of balance has rhythm taken from mirror(well you probably knew that already...)
Awakenings intro got some influences from one of the Chopin's preludes(not sure it was a prelude).
And in The Odyssey one part reminds me of ELP's Trilogy middle part

Well, like I said that's only cool that they have many places to get inspiration.

Friend, Have you seen the band members influences?? They are very influenced by ELP, Gustav Holst, Kansas, and one of the biggest idols of Michael Pinella is Frederic Chopin, so its logical some songs have similarities.

The intro after the choir part on The Divine Wings of Tragedy is not similiar, is identical to Mars, i mean is the real one.

Candelight Fantasia in my opinion doesnt have parts froms ELPs "The only way" from Tarkus

The prelude you mean about Awakenings, is Chopins Op 28 num 24.

I like to say i have found other similarities:

Fallens intro have influences of ELPs "The Sage"
Cruch of the Machine intro have similar tunes of Mike Oldfields "Tubular Bells"

I recognize many similarities throughout everything, possibly because the music I enjoyed for years is the music which are their "influences".

This is the nature of great writers...to have the ability to create unique music from what has moved and inspired them emotionally, and shaped their creative psyche. This is where Mike Romeo shines above so many others. If he would compose strictly on a conscious and technical level, I believe the similarities to other songs would be so blatently obvious. But, it is his emotional intelligence that drives him and his creative energies. The input from the other guys mirrors this approach with beautiful results......you don't just listen to their songs, you feel them. Romeo is a musical genius. He is so fortunate to have found others so talented, who understand and share his creative processes. I think it was all meant to be that it happened this way......it just amazes me.
:loco::loco::loco: