The music nerd in me has to speak

Yo, in terms of putting the pictures on there, all you have to do is click on "artwork" option in I tunes version 6 that is in the bottom left corner of the I Tunes interface. Then you just drag the pic off the net into that box for each song and bam there you go you get a nifty high res pic to show up with the song.

That's the way I have mine on my computer. thousands of folders, and sub folders. Every album has the artwork, so if you're too lazy to go up and pick up the cd you can just open the folder and see all the pretty albums side by side. they are all labeled or typed perfectly. It looks so pretty!! haha. Cheers to well kempt music databases. :)

Nothing against Ipod owners but personally (Oh Man am I going to regret this!) I think Ipods are a complete and utter waste of money and there are two reasons that I have come to the conclusion myself. I love looking at the lyrics, love having the cd in my hand and ALWAYS have the CD I am playing in reach so the lyrics are handy. Ipods do promote illegal downloads as much as everyone will disagree with me, they do and I am against it. Plus I hate Apple lol. So poop on you IPOD users, I like my CD's.

The_q hugs his CD's

The_Q said:
Nothing against Ipod owners but personally (Oh Man am I going to regret this!) I think Ipods are a complete and utter waste of money and there are two reasons that I have come to the conclusion myself. I love looking at the lyrics, love having the cd in my hand and ALWAYS have the CD I am playing in reach so the lyrics are handy. Ipods do promote illegal downloads as much as everyone will disagree with me, they do and I am against it. Plus I hate Apple lol. So poop on you IPOD users, I like my CD's.

The_q hugs his CD's

You always have the CD you're playing within reach so you can read the booklet? Man, that would be nice, but much as I would like to read CD booklets while I'm driving, I think I'll continue to avoid it! :)

Heh, seriously though, it doesn't make sense to say that "Ipods promote illegal downloads"... by that logic, owning a car promotes running people over. If someone chooses to download something, the responsibility for doing it is borne by them, not by an inanimate object with a USB plug.

Personally, I'm not a big Apple fan either, but remember, there are any number of companies out there selling portable music devices, so you're certainly not limited to Apple. I don't have one myself at the moment, but I will probably get one at some point (a small, flash-based one) to use at the gym and when traveling... not one of these huge multi-gigabyte ones. I envision swapping out the songs in it from time to time, not storing 1/3 of my entire collection on it.

Personally, I still like CD's as well (for now, anyway). I am not presently prepared to spend money for a purely digital product (especially one that is often lower quality sound than a CD). At present, when I buy music, I need to receive a physical product. I can potentially see that changing at some point in the future, but for me, technology is not quite there yet.

First,
I AM an Apple fan, although my main computer is a winbox, as I have to use autocad sometimes at home... and that's win only.

I also am thrilled, excited I just upgraded from my 20gig ipod (hard drive just gave up) to a brand-new 1 day out of the box 30 gig... only to get on this forum and hear some guy talking about their new 60 gig.

<mocking voice>
"I have a 60gig ipod".

congrats.

Now, all that music I couldn't put on the 20gig is going to find it's way on the 30!

JP

Hahah, Sean man this is the Indian Samoan cat from PP V. I know we didnt chill all that much but I do hear you on the mp3 DOWNLOADING. Just in my defense I'll say that I have TWO mp3's on my computer, oh wait three I forgot the Blood Promise track Suite 218 I got awhile back. What I'm doing on the Ipod thing is just throwing my cd collection on there. That way whenever I'm out doing anything I can have all 16 cd towers in my pocket and never get bored. And if I go out on tour again that will definitely come in handy.

Oh and JP, I wasnt trying to be some chode and going off bragging or anything like that. Other than that new Ipod and my cds I have very few nice, expensive things. The Ipod purchase was brought about by me busting my ass working 40 hours during college and all summer long so far to save up for my new place I'm moving to in three weeks. . Since this summer started and I've been working seven days a week I have even hardly had time to do what I love most and that is writing reviews and doing interviews for the online mag I'm a part off. All the money I'm making is about to get dropped on the new apartment but I told myself at the beginning of the summer I was going to get a new bad ass Ipod to treat myself nice for once for working my Apache ass off. It was a lofty goal to attain especially considering my situation and the fact I got to it and bought that bad bitch on my own is an accomplishment in itself. If things like that aren't EARNED and handed to someone then they are never truly appreciated. Just thought I'd let you know I ain't one of those people that flaunt their shit man.

Wounded Land said:
I used to have my entire collection organized by date of release, then within that alphabetized by artist. One time my uncle asked me if I would notice if he switched two CDs. I said yes. To test me, he switched a pair. I took one look at my rack at correctly noted that he had put Rush's "Caress of Steel" before "Fly By Night". :)

It got to a point, however, where even I couldn't find anything. I broke down and alphabetized everything by artist and title.

And all of a sudden I want a freakin' Ipod!

NP: Arabesque "The Union"

I'm not getting into a PC/Mac debate....but if you want more music storage, the Dell is the way to go. 15,000 songs!? It's about $300.

Bear said:
Good thing for those extended warranties then huh!!

Bear

I have pretty much gotten to the point where I've decided those warranties on electronic products are scams. By the time the product does break down, it ends up being cheaper to buy a NEW one rather than pay for the shipping charges to have it repaired/replaced. (And that's assuming you can REMEMBER where you put all of the flipping paperwork with the return instructions.)

With that said, though, I really wish I had purchased the extended warranty on my iPod mini -- since they don't make them anymore! :mad: The nanos don't have anything extra to offer in terms of storage space, and they appear to be flimsier than the mini. I'd probably have to keep it in a giant bag of bubble wrap to prevent it from breaking during the first three days.

Bear said:
If you have a scanner you can scan the image and save as a jpg and load into the same folder as the mp3 files and it will be there automatically when the album is selected to play.

Bear
I snag the images from "Google Images". I usually grab the best looking one that is around 400x400 pixels or smaller. If anyone does this be sure to click on the one you like best and then download it from the website of it's origin. Copying directly from the google images search results page will make for a less than stellar quality pic file. I learned that lesson the hard way, and had to replace 50 or so less than quality covers the first time around.

Britt

The Nano -is- flimsier. They have well-documented problems with the screen cracking.

My problem with the iPod is that they seem a bit overpriced as compared to similar non-Apple products with the same memory...and as some have noted, the iPods don't have a great service record. ("I upgraded to the 30G when the drive on my 20G crapped out....") I'm wondering if the higher price is worth it.

That being said, a large-capacity iPod would be perfect for me. Sure, they're not really designed to be an external storage device, and I'd be PISSED if I had spent all that time storing thousands of songs onto my iPod and then had the drive crap out.....but right now I carry about 600 CDs with me every week down to the WREK-FM studio for my part of the WREKage broadcast, and they're HEAVY! An Ipod would be perfect and we can connect them directly into the control board.

As for external storage, I bought a 160G external drive from Fry's for $80, with rebate, and that was a while ago. I bought it solely to back up my drives.....and allll the music on them. I don't want to ever have to rip those CDs again!

But, these are small potatoes. You can get a 1 Tbyte (one terabyte, 1,000 gigs) external storage server for just over $600 now from Fry's, with rebate. Problem is, where do you back THAT up? :)