The new chat thread - now with bitter arguing

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! What're you going to study? (Do you have LinkedIn?)

Software Engineering, which is the fancy-pants name for computer programming. I haven't really started yet, but long-term I want to write embedded systems. Application development is increasingly being outsourced, but someone has to write the low level shit that goes in cars and cell phones.

I do not have LinkedIn, but that's something to consider soon. There may be a time to consider leaving my present position a few months before I graduate, at which time I would do an internship somewhere. Getting a little bit of industry experience before graduating would help to make sure that my first post-graduation job is a bit above 'entry-level'.

At which point I get to consider either having my life back or going to grad school.

Software Engineering, which is the fancy-pants name for computer programming. I haven't really started yet, but long-term I want to write embedded systems. Application development is increasingly being outsourced, but someone has to write the low level shit that goes in cars and cell phones.

I do not have LinkedIn, but that's something to consider soon. There may be a time to consider leaving my present position a few months before I graduate, at which time I would do an internship somewhere. Getting a little bit of industry experience before graduating would help to make sure that my first post-graduation job is a bit above 'entry-level'.

At which point I get to consider either having my life back or going to grad school.

Nice, congrats for getting into the Uni (the dream and burden of most people in the US: How to pay for my kid's education? :p). When you get LinkedIn send me a PM and we can hook up. Again, my felicitations.

Ooh that's really nice, congratulations! I'm probably going to the Radboud University of Nijmegen next year, which isn't really famous or anything, but Nijmegen is a very nice town. I'd like to do my master degree abroad somewhere though, and I was thinking of Reykjavik or Bergen. I'll have to see what the possibilities are though, and that will be in 4 years anyway so I've got some time left. :)

Thanks, everybody!
We're going to NYC for about 10 days: let the (cyber?) stalking begin. ;)

Just in time for the humidity. It's going to be a little muggy and sometimes rainy, and even a little hot. Dress accordingly.

That's the weather here upstate, anyway, so it should be about 5 degrees hotter and about a bazillion percent more humid.

Congratulations.

Ooh that's really nice, congratulations! I'm probably going to the Radboud University of Nijmegen next year, which isn't really famous or anything, but Nijmegen is a very nice town. I'd like to do my master degree abroad somewhere though, and I was thinking of Reykjavik or Bergen. I'll have to see what the possibilities are though, and that will be in 4 years anyway so I've got some time left. :)

It's always good to get off to a new place. If you're going to study abroad, I couldn't help but notice that most of the top universities are in either the U.S. or U.K. If you come over here for graduate studies, you can eat cheeseburgers three meals a day, drive a giant SUV, and make fun of the French (assuming you're not mistaken for one; bear in mind that we are American).

It's always good to get off to a new place. If you're going to study abroad, I couldn't help but notice that most of the top universities are in either the U.S. or U.K. If you come over here for graduate studies, you can eat cheeseburgers three meals a day, drive a giant SUV, and make fun of the French (assuming you're not mistaken for one; bear in mind that we are American).

Ah hahahahaha :lol: . Yeah the US has really good education, but I'd prefer to go to the UK or Canada. When I finish this M.A. (second one), I'll try to go to Japan and work as an 英語の先生 (English sensei). Eventually I hope to get a Phd at a Uni in Canada, or hopefully Cambridge or Oxford.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck with all that.

On other news, my boyfriend was killed in a car crash nearly a month ago and i know i will regret posting this.

You probably got most of your condolences in PMs, since most people here know you better, but...

I'm so sorry. Really sorry and sad for you. Puny words of comfort from someone thousands of miles away, who knows you less than most of the people who have been lurking in this forum with you for years.

I hope you're healing, or that the process begins soon. There's some irony to me; I thought I was dying a month ago. Weird, huh? Death's door seems impending, then instead someone else gets taken. I have no doubt he was a better man than I.

Take good care of yourself in the meantime. You've always seemed like a good person to me, through these little digital posts we all shoot across the internet to communicate haphazardly. I am truly sad over your loss.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck with all that.

On other news, my boyfriend was killed in a car crash nearly a month ago and i know i will regret posting this.

And I don't know what to say, I can only give you my deepest, human, condolences. I sincerely don't know what to write, only that if you need to say something the forum is always here for you.

Wow. I must agree with Danny here, it's difficult to write something other than just a cliché. It's bad, I know it must be. I could tell you I know how it feels but I don't think I do. The only one I have ever lost was my grandmother, and though that is horrible I think it's nothing like losing your loved one. So all I think I can do is give you my condolences.

@siren: I'm very sorry for your loss. I imagine that means nothing since we barely know each other and are half a world away. I can only offer you a few intellectual points; they are cold comfort, so I encourage you to ignore the remainder of this post if you so choose.

I had to have a cat put to sleep this past summer. I won't pretend that this shares anywhere near the magnitude of your loss, but I made several observations. First, we dwell on these few moments; in time, you will see this awful period as a small part of a long, beautiful story. It can take time, but before long you will find that you remember more good things than you do this. Second, anyone worth having in our lives enriches us. In a mathematical sense, you're better off after losing someone than you were before you met them; they made you better. It is worth rejoicing in the time that we have had and all of the gifts we have been giving, rather than the pain of its ending. Per my first point, this becomes easier with the perspective of time.

That said, we are chemical creatures, and no amount of intellect or rationalization can overcome that withdrawal. It is necessary in the short term to suffer through it, but time gives us wisdom and perspective. As we grow, everything becomes manageable in its own way. You will survive this, and even if that sounds like the worst part right now, you will be stronger than ever in time. From there, you will be able to find happiness.

Again, my condolences.

@siren: I'm very sorry for your loss. I imagine that means nothing since we barely know each other and are half a world away. I can only offer you a few intellectual points; they are cold comfort, so I encourage you to ignore the remainder of this post if you so choose.

I had to have a cat put to sleep this past summer. I won't pretend that this shares anywhere near the magnitude of your loss, but I made several observations. First, we dwell on these few moments; in time, you will see this awful period as a small part of a long, beautiful story. It can take time, but before long you will find that you remember more good things than you do this. Second, anyone worth having in our lives enriches us. In a mathematical sense, you're better off after losing someone than you were before you met them; they made you better. It is worth rejoicing in the time that we have had and all of the gifts we have been giving, rather than the pain of its ending. Per my first point, this becomes easier with the perspective of time.

That said, we are chemical creatures, and no amount of intellect or rationalization can overcome that withdrawal. It is necessary in the short term to suffer through it, but time gives us wisdom and perspective. As we grow, everything becomes manageable in its own way. You will survive this, and even if that sounds like the worst part right now, you will be stronger than ever in time. From there, you will be able to find happiness.

Again, my condolences.

I've no idea how it is to lose someone in such a tragic way. I've always been afraid of that, to lose my girlfriend in a car accident; mainly because CR is like the 5th-highest-rating in the world of car accidents. Deaths like this should not happen, they're not a nice way to go.

However, losing someone you love is hard, but after mourning; one will relish in the moments spent together. I still feel sad, very sad, about my Ohpa (and even made a lame post here about it :p), yet I now set him as an example of people that endured unimaginable hardships and managed to survive (in his case WWII). I always talk about him to my students, in order to preserve his memory and let everyone know how happy I was to have been his grandson.

An Obituary printed in the London Times - Interesting and sadly rather true

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair;
- and Maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;
I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

This is one of the dumbest things that I have ever read.

An Obituary printed in the London Times -

Problem Number One. It's a Murdoch rag. Bear in mind that Fox News, his pride and joy tried to tie the NYC mosque-builder to a Saudi suspected of funding terrorism while conveniently neglecting to mention that that same Saudi is a partial owner of Fox News.

Fox also sued for and won the right to make shit up and report it as news. Bear this in mind.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

As expected, this is libertarian tripe. Red tape, bureaucracy, etc.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair;
- and Maybe it was my fault.

While not directly saying it, the article implies that these things have been lost. I think we still have these bits of wisdom, but there are popular jabs at how stupid other people are: crying "it's not fair" is a common slam against teenagers in the U.S., for example.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

I can agree with point 1, but children in charge? What is that even supposed to mean?

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.

Libertarian bullshit that ignores what really happens when you don't have comprehensive laws and regulations. Overbearing regulations? Way to ignore the fact that unwinding regulations is what created this bubble and allowed newly unregulated financiers to throw the entire world into the worst financial crisis since the 30's.

Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate;

Where and when did this happen? First of all, you don't hit 6-year-olds with criminal charges; he was probably disciplined by his school. And they say "kissing", as far as we know he was a groper. You will see why I take this claim to be bullshit based on the others.

teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch;

Show me where it happened, if it did. Frankly, there's a pretty good chance the students involved in this hypothetical were getting drunk and covering it with mouthwash.

and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

This shit happens all the time. We have no idea what the reprimand was; as far as we know the teacher in this fictional incident made a racist or sexist comment, or even hit the kid.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

Yeah, true.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Schools don't so much need this consent by law, but they require it for liability purposes. Giving aspirin to someone with a clotting condition can kill them. Parental consent passes the buck; if the parents say it's safe, they can't sue you. When you are responsible for a thousand walking lawsuits, you do common sense things like this.

As for the abortion issue, how is respecting a young woman's bodily autonomy and privacy in ANY WAY the same or related to looking out for a childs health? What the fuck?

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Agreed to churches as businesses, but "criminals receiving better treatment than their victims" is a fiction. Criminals have rights; at least in the U.S., we wrote a Constitution that fought malicious prosecution by governments. That we don't outright execute people for on accusations is what makes modern society great. Victim's aren't treated worse; the law simply doesn't treat victims at all.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Again, a gross misrepresentation. You can shoot or club home invaders. If you engage in unnecessary violence, you can be charged/sued. The law favors the homeowner, in this instance.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

This is truly revealing of the complete load of bullshit this entire article is. The lawsuit referenced is Liebeck v. McDonalds. The victim realized that coffee was hot, and spilled more than a little bit in her lap by accident. She was found partially responsible for her own injuries and her award was reduced by that amount.

Here's what's damning about that lawsuit:
-McDonalds was serving coffee dozen of degrees about what was considered a safe temperature.
-McDonalds had received hundreds of complaints already about injuries related to their coffee
-The coffee in question was so hot that the woman suffered 3rd-degree burns to her genitals and had to get skin grafts.
-In the words of a McDonald company officer on the stand, McDonalds' coffee was "not fit for human consumption", give the temperature.

It's a commonly misrepresented and misunderstood suit, and the degree of snide sarcasm in this article's misrepresentation of the facts demonstrates a disturbing lack of consideration for intellectual honesty.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

Like common sense, all of these things have always existed, and still do. Granted, we as humans fail in them all the time, but this is just nostalgia for a non-existent time when we were all perfect and everything was great.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;
I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim

Wait, knowing your rights is a bad thing? Think hard about these four statements portrayed as negatives. Some of them are sometimes true, though frequently cop outs. But "I know my rights"? That's a really good thing, and if you're saying it to someone who is trying to infringe your rights, that's called courage, not a lack of common sense.

This belongs in a chain email.

haha

It wasn't you that set sizzle off, it's just that "common sense" tends to be a libertarian catchphrase here in the US. It basically means folk wisdom and the behavior of common people is the most pragmatic and rational measure of how to run society.

Which, of course, is huge bullshit. We're all commonfolk, and we all know how stupid, crazy, drunk and self-destructive short-term looking motherfuckers we all are. ^_^

@Naglfar: It's actually "stizzle". But you reminded me of this:

I can't find the original McDonalds commercial, but that parody is pretty cool anyway.

@Defiance: Since it was an email, I looked it up on snopes. It turns out that it was published in the Indianapolis star in 1998, which may or may not be a Murdoch propaganda piece. Apparently, it circulated with a false attribution to George Carlin for a while which really pisses me off. It's still stupid, though.

There's apparently a lot of other material that floated around incorrectly sourced to Carlin, some of which is incredibly racist.

If you're not familiar with George Carlin, he's the funniest and most insightful person to have ever lived. Also, hardcore liberal.

Last edited by a moderator: