The new chat thread - now with bitter arguing

rahvin

keeper of the flame
Oct 10, 2001
safe but not far from the city
Let's get thing started with a pointless comment to something written a couple of days ago.

Jolty said:
I'm in my room. No sense in standing outside in the freezing cold for longer than I have to, although that is how I missed it before.

So you ran out hoping to catch the bus, missed it, ran back inside to tell us? I feel special. Unless your room is directly above the bus stop, though, I suggest you prepare yourself better next time: run outside in time, catch the bus, then run back to tell us you didn't miss it. Now, there's a plan!

How many of these threads have you guys actually had?

I´m getting more and more irritated on MSN and all the commercials there. The damn program takes longer and longer to load and just shows offers for ink patrons or dental whitening. So can anyone recommend something to substitute it with? Im thinking about a client that still can connect with the msn-network (as nearly every soul in this city uses it), much like I´ve heard Trillian is supposed to work, any experience from using it?

I´m getting more and more irritated on MSN and all the commercials there. The damn program takes longer and longer to load and just shows offers for ink patrons or dental whitening. So can anyone recommend something to substitute it with? Im thinking about a client that still can connect with the msn-network (as nearly every soul in this city uses it), much like I´ve heard Trillian is supposed to work, any experience from using it?

Try GAIM aka Pidgin.

http://www.pidgin.im/

How many of these threads have you guys actually had?

Four, I believe. But the first two were more "feelings" specific, because back in 2003 we still used to give two shits. Then there was a lot (more) of pointless banter in other threads on the board, so I decided all the off-topic posts and people just lolling at each other's smelly farts should gather here instead. Unfortunately, even subjects worthy of their own serious discussion tend to wind up here nowadays, even though time and again I point out that threads about other, non-DT-related topics are encouraged.

for the IM debate, i second Arch's recommendation and I also sponsor Trillian.

as for the long threads: right now separate HTML pages are generated for each page (according to your settings) for each thread so the problem with loading times is not relevant anymore. which basically means that we could, if we wanted, scratch the 'no more than x posts' rule. just for information, i don't really have a preference.

It's still good to start anew every once in a while. I have a staggering total of zero statistics assuring me new users are less intimidated by shorter threads!

As for the nudity, all personal contributions are welcome, meaning I'll save them religiously to my hard drive before deleting the posts. ;)

So can anyone recommend something to substitute it with? Im thinking about a client that still can connect with the msn-network

a while ago, i tried Miranda. It worked fine, until i did some update that fucked up everything: the name of all my contact started to appear in japanese signs.
It was funny to customise the appearance of the programm. But its better if you can find a package that already has some customizing tools included in it.

As for other programms, i didnt try. I would also like to swich, so i dont have to open ICQ and MSN at the smae time, but i couldnt find a programm that also indicates the "secondary" messages you can put in msn (besides the nickname). Is there any other programm than miranda that can do that? i am afraid of testing this one again... and is tehre any way that you can import your msn/icq history?