The new chat thread - now with bitter arguing

1.58/day :) But no new one posted to the Voice reloaded thread yet. :erk: Would be really cool! How's it going with the mic, anything to report yet?

lol yeah we got a new mic, but i havent tried it yet... i forgot about it. Should I still read in latin? or french would do it :p ?

@Villain: Is everyone in Finland alcoholic? I guess people there drink a lot in order to bear the cold...

Well, that excuse was valid perhaps a hundred years ago - nowadays we've got heating, you know. But you are right in the sense that the Finnish alcohol-culture is rather extreme, and a large percentage of the population suffers from alcohol-related (or nowadays also drug-related) problems. The stereotypical Finn does not drink to relax or to socialize - he drinks to get damn drunk.

For those wondering how this relates to me, I work with young criminal offenders aged 14-21, most of whom (practically all minus the few youngest kids) have serious problems with alcohol, drugs, or both. Many have also mental trouble (depressions, personality disorders, etc). Here's a link to our project's website, although it doesn't seem like it has been updated in a while (it's in both Finnish and English, but you need to scroll down a little to find the English text): http://www.pomo-project.com

The project ends this year, and I'm planning to shift my focus :)p) to pre-emptive work with a bit younger kids (13-17), simply because it is easier to affect their lives before their problems get too deep. We've had the best results in this project with underage kids, and even though I feel there's a need for this kind of work all across the age-brackets, I believe I'm personally at my best with the younger boys.

-Villain

EDIT: Bah, it seems the website sucks (I never took a look at it before) - don't bother searching any information there. If you're curious about something, just ask me.

^ Yeah I mean, just look at COB :p .

No no now getting serious here, I've always been amazed by how alcoholic Finns are, really :erk: . And yeah it's true that it's not like "Lets have a couple of beers and have a good time," it's more like "Man lest grab 20 packages of beer and get totally wasted! :kickass: "

Damn that must be terrible, Costa Rican culture is also a damn alcoholic one, and just like Finns we have a lot of car accidents because of people driving drunk :ill: .

But I've always wondered why are Finns so depressive, because Finnland has one of the highest (if not the highest) suicide rate among teenagers in the whole world! :Smug: I think they even top Japan (and that's saying a lot) :erk: .

I really wonder, is it the climate or what? Will that influence so much? I guess there's some kind of weird social pressure or something?

Care to answer, if you know, Villain?

@LBRH: As far as I know, alongside with the climate one of the most mentioned causes for depression (and suicide) is isolation: average population density per square kilometer is quite low in Scandinavia, and more so the closer you get to nearly uninhabited areas in the northernmost parts. Of course, you could also say that this is a consequence of the climatic conditions as well.

For those wondering how this relates to me, I work with young criminal offenders aged 14-21, most of whom (practically all minus the few youngest kids) have serious problems with alcohol, drugs, or both. Many have also mental trouble (depressions, personality disorders, etc).
I really admire what you do. Sadly enough, people like you dont nearly get appreciated or paid enough, so I hope you have enough backup-motivation in stock, because society really needs people like you. Every kid you can help is probably 2-3 lives saved, right?
You're a real hero man :worship:

Nah actually It does have some info in english:
  • Project is funded by the European social fund's DHARMA- err I mean- EQUAL initiative.
  • Period of operation: 2004-2007.
  • Personal Move consists of Development Partnership, gathering all relevant actors together and improving the multi-agency co-operation
  • DP is managed by the Probation Service District Office of Northern Finland Kajaani Office
  • Personal Move is a regional project targeted at (young) offenders in the Mid-North Finland- The target group consists of young offenders and releasing young inmates

The central goals are to:
  • Provide and develop holistic support models
  • Reduce recidivism and substance abuse
  • Raise educational motivation
  • Improve offenders labour market position
  • Create seamles support for resettlement

The project offers individualised short-term intervention for young offerders andintensive care after releasing
  • The project uses paid mentors to give intensive support for young offenders
  • Training by apprenticeship enables the mentor to develop in his or her own profession

In the transnational partnership the main goals are to develop:
  • An agreed assessment tool by comparing a range of interventions
  • An approach to working with employers.

I really admire what you do. Sadly enough, people like you dont nearly get appreciated or paid enough, so I hope you have enough backup-motivation in stock, because society really needs people like you. Every kid you can help is probably 2-3 lives saved, right?
You're a real hero man :worship:

100% agreed

it's completely unrelated, but my brand-new pay-per-minute internet connection does not recognize this forum as an external site. it's the only instance of this behavior. so i get to surf ultimatemetal for free, for reasons that are entirely unknown to me.

@LBRH: As far as I know, alongside with the climate one of the most mentioned causes for depression (and suicide) is isolation: average population density per square kilometer is quite low in Scandinavia, and more so the closer you get to nearly uninhabited areas in the northernmost parts. Of course, you could also say that this is a consequence of the climatic conditions as well.

Ahh ok that explains a lot :Smug: , I mean we humans, although some people dislike it, have to be in groups, we need to socialize, if not we go all :loco: . So that's why net phorums are for hehe.

Taliesin said:
You're a real hero man

:worship: I agree too. It's like with teachers, we have the power to change lots of things, such as the outcome of people's lives and the world, for if a teacher transmits good, and most of all honest values (meaning that he/she is not a hypocrite), we can really make a difference.

Horrah for us :kickass: :headbang: .

@Hyena: I guess we'll be seen a lot more of ye now huh? :p

^

But I've always wondered why are Finns so depressive, because Finnland has one of the highest (if not the highest) suicide rate among teenagers in the whole world! :Smug: I think they even top Japan (and that's saying a lot) :erk: .

The general picture (WHO statistic) shows not only high rates for Finland, but also for the Baltic States, for Hungary, Luxembourg, Sri Lanka and for some NIC-states (though maybe not all of the Russian ones are real_suicides).

This report says that the highest rate for teenagers would be amongst Indian girls.

it's completely unrelated, but my brand-new pay-per-minute internet connection does not recognize this forum as an external site. it's the only instance of this behavior. so i get to surf ultimatemetal for free, for reasons that are entirely unknown to me.

Maybe there's some kind of network technician who's into metal, who's 'supporting the cause' in his own way? :lol:

i recall a connection between darkness, hormones and depression too, now i'm not sure about which hormones are involved, but an insufficient amount of sunlight plays a little part in it. obviously the northernmost countries are more affected by this.

Yeah, I used to suffer SAD "Seasonal Affective Disorder" and it is to do with recieving a lack of sunlight... but you can take natural vitamin supplements to help it and also using more powerful watt bulbs around the house. My only problem with that is it's not very good for the environment. Still, bit of sun bedding here and there and you should be fine.