The new Judge Dredd film

Pablokers

Huge Member
Feb 13, 2008
Apparently theres a new Judge Dredd film being made. WTF? You mean another one like that God awful Sly flick thats only good for bad movie quoting? No. Apparently John Wagner(the creator) is behind every decision. So, did I get your hopes up? Will this one make sense? Heres the article I read from IGN:

Producer Andrew Macdonald has confirmed that Star Trek actor Karl Urban will play the title role in the new Judge Dredd movie.

In a chat with Empire Online, Macdonald said, "Our idea is to make a very hard, R-rated, gritty, realistic movie of Dredd in Megacity, so we've got to get the tone right. He's not going to take off his helmet. His bike is going to feel real. He's going to hit people and it's going to feel real."

The producer also said, "We'll be shooting in Johannesburg, it's being directed by Pete Travis, we're shooting with the people who did District 9 – and if we get it right, Alex [Garland, the screenwriter] has a couple of ideas for other stories as well. It's not based on any one comic, and John Wagner is involved in every decision."

Travis' credits include Vantage Point, Endgame and Omagh.

Yes, that means.... McCoy is the new Dredd:

karl_urban.jpg

Thats the kind of response I was going for. hahaha Metellicdistort might be right though, hes not taking of his helmet and his face is square enough. The voice.... now that IS something to worry about, I think we have another Batman on our hands.

I'm quite optimistic about this, though I'd have preferred Ray Stevenson as Dredd, but I guess he is too associated with The Punisher now.

Well well well... Last post over 2 years ago, people didn't seem to have much faith in this or what? Anyways, saw the film yesterday and it was great. Visually more down to earth than 1995 version wich was more faithfull to comics in that respect while otherwise total and utter bullshit. For example vehicles seemed to be your normal variety with exception of Judges Lawmaster. Karl Urban is great Dredd, helmet stays on and acting is spot on. Violence is served very brutally and couple of times in glorious slo mo so you don't miss that bullet going through face. Plot is quite similar with Raid: Redemption, basically assault on tall building but in all it's simplicity it just works.

Not muct to said about 3D, didn't really bring anything extra to this and could have done without. It's shame if this is only movie made, I understand that team had trilogy in mind. Second part being Origins and third...gasp... Dark Judges, now there's something I would like to see in big screen.

Highly recommended, my judgement is 4,5 stars out of 5.

It is a pretty awesome 80's style senseless violence action movie. It actually reminds me of First Blood a little bit when I watch it.

The first Judge Dredd Stallone movie falls into 'so-bad-that-it's-good' territory. Unlike say, the Street Fighter Van Damme movie, which falls more into the 'so-bad-it-gave-Raul-Julia-cancer' territory.