Judge Dredd

J1NX

Sep 10, 2004
Man, that top page is WICKED. I hope they print it on t-shirts. That would be the best merch since... well, since the I Am The Law t-shirt, I guess.

I was wondering, I Am The Law is what really broke Anthrax in the UK around 1987. I guess that was partly because Judge Dredd had a really high profile among the great comic-reading speed-metal appreciating public at the time. But Dredd was never really big in the US, right? Was anyone much aware of this tie in at the time? If not, was there another song in particular that gave them a big push in the US back then?

Speaking of Judge Dredd, is anyone on good terms with any great directors who can make a decent film Dredd movie to eclipse that crappy Stallone turkey FOREVER?

I would say that Indians helped really break them in the US, because of Headbangers Ball. That's what got me into them; it was on quite often. However, I was only 12 at the time. I remember Among being hard to find; I couldn't get it on vinyl where I grew up. Only shit-tastic cassette. :( At the time I thought that meant it was popular.
Anyway, I had never heard of Dredd before I am the Law; some other friends had got the RPG from the makers of Warhammer, I think. Is that right? Later I discovered 2000 A.D. Jesus, this fucking takes me back. Anyway, fuckin' Drokk it!

The film was OK, I liked it at the time (although I was fuckin' baked out of my mind), but I would say it really isn't Judge Dredd. Dredd takin' 'is fuckin' 'elmet off, what's that, then? You Brits can back me up on this, right?

About making a future Dredd film: why fucking bother? Read the fuckin' strips, they're better than any fuckin' movie will be. Wagner, Ezquerra, Bolland, O'Neill, Gibbons, Moore, Talbot, Alans Davis and Grant, Weston...you can't get any fuckin' better.

TacoBellJunkie said:
the movie might have been ok if it wasnt for rob schnider.

Indeed. Sly was the perfect man for the part. The costumes and sets were amazing, the story was o.k. - but they shouldn't have turned it into a buddy flick.

GregadetH said:
Indeed. Sly was the perfect man for the part. The costumes and sets were amazing, the story was o.k. - but they shouldn't have turned it into a buddy flick.

Nah gotta disagree with you there Cowbell God. Don't get me wrong I liked Sly in the role but I just felt it went bad when he took his helmet off - Dredd never did that in the comics but then again I do think the film isn't as bad as what critics panned it for. I guess given it was Sly under the helmet he had to show his face at one time.

However I remember going to see this in the cinema and praying to hear the opening riff of I AM THE LAW during the opening credits. How disappointed I was ...

Actually, you will be happy to know thta that Dredd picture IS on a tshirt they're selling at shows. Saw it last week in Madrid.

Crabmeat said:
Actually, you will be happy to know thta that Dredd picture IS on a tshirt they're selling at shows. Saw it last week in Madrid.

O M G... I so want one!

aliasp said:
O M G... I so want one!

Here here !!!!!! Man, I wish they had them for sale in Adelaide !!!

(mind you, my misses might of gone totally crazy with me coming home with three shirts !!!!!!!! )

Yeah, as I mentioned in the merch thread a few days ago:

- A wickkked black t-shirt with Yellow Anthrax logo, Judge Dredd (new design, not the old IATL one) and on the back it has the full body Judge Dredd and I am the law in green written vertically

This was only 3 or 4 days before the new site came up and I was surprised they'd done a new Dredd design.

Nabbed me one :headbang:

Anthrax got me into Judge Dredd and the 2000 AD comics back in the day. Something else that sold them for me was Among the Living and Skeletons in the Closet were based on Stephen King books. :p

Drokk said:
I would say that Indians helped really break them in the US, because of Headbangers Ball. That's what got me into them; it was on quite often. However, I was only 12 at the time.

First I remember hearing 'Thrax in Chicago was on RPM on 103.1 WVVX - Scott Loftus and crew were doing some kind of "battle of the thrash bands" between Metallica, Slayer and Anthrax, and I remember having my jaw hit the floor when I heard Charlie's double-bass kicks on "Among The Living".

Anyone my age in Chicago will relate to this - I found "RPM" for the first time, listened to it until I went to bed, then rolled out of bed to go to school, turned on the radio, and... what the fuck was this foreign language programming I was hearing? Didn't know that 'VVX was a "bartered" station.

Christ, all of a sudden I'm feeling real old here...

Hey all you Brew Town folks here, who remembers WMSE's "thrash night" in the mid-80s? Something like that; I think it was once a week and they played (at the time) relatively underground stuff. That's where I first heard Metallica. Jesus Christ that was 20 fucking years ago! Those were the days. Also, I'm from Tosa, I first saw Ride the Lightning at the fucking library on vinyl! Needless to say, after that it went missing. I always remembered the Metallica "Blue Record". I also first heard Megadeth on Headbanger's, I think. Peace Sells. Man, at that time, where I grew up, being 11-12, this shit was hardcore! The neighborhood metalheads were called "dirtbags".

Jono: All hail THE HYPNOTOAD!!

Mickey Rourke could play Judge Dredd. In fact, if he just kept his "Marv in Sin City" look, and slapped a helmet on top, he'd be ready to roll.

J1NX said:
Man, that top page is WICKED. I hope they print it on t-shirts. That would be the best merch since... well, since the I Am The Law t-shirt, I guess.

The top page is a shirt.

Drokk said:
Hey all you Brew Town folks here, who remembers WMSE's "thrash night" in the mid-80s? Something like that; I think it was once a week and they played (at the time) relatively underground stuff. That's where I first heard Metallica. Jesus Christ that was 20 fucking years ago! Those were the days. Also, I'm from Tosa, I first saw Ride the Lightning at the fucking library on vinyl! Needless to say, after that it went missing. I always remembered the Metallica "Blue Record". I also first heard Megadeth on Headbanger's, I think. Peace Sells. Man, at that time, where I grew up, being 11-12, this shit was hardcore! The neighborhood metalheads were called "dirtbags".

Jono: All hail THE HYPNOTOAD!!
everybody loves hypnotoad! oh and i was four when you first heard metallica :headbang: ;)
-Jono-