The News Thread

bone density which plays perhaps the biggest role in injury

+tendons and ligaments

Males in general have denser, stronger bones, tendons, and ligaments. All one has to do is take a look at the size of their elbow, knee and shoulder joints. We are built very differently.

I've seen girls/women with bigger hands(and my hands are pretty big, a little over 10inches form pinky to thumb when spread out). I've seen women with gigantic feet. But i have never seen a women who has had thicker elbow or shoulder joints.

Reactions: CiG
They put Nye on their because he's a pop icon. He answered those questions horribly. Put an actual climate scientist on there and she would have chewed Carlson up and spit him out.

Which is also why FOX will never invite a legit climate scientist onto their shows.

They put Nye on their because he's a pop icon. He answered those questions horribly. Put an actual climate scientist on there and she would have chewed Carlson up and spit him out.

Which is also why FOX will never invite a legit climate scientist onto their shows.

Well I don't know if Tucker would have been chewed up, but he obviously wouldn't have been able to derail their brain function with one question. I don't think either FOX viewers or their detractors would have even followed along with any sort of data driven claims. The "IFLS" crowd doesn't actually "science" very much.

Carlson would have been chewed up, no doubt in my mind. He isn't dumb, but his questions wouldn't have stood up to an actual climate scientist. Nye's a spokesman, nothing more.

@CASSETTEISGOD he won't stop if networks like FOX and CNN keep inviting him on.

He probably would have, which is the fake news at work. ;)

The basic gist of climate change is that CO2 absorbs light at longer wavelengths, specifically infrared radiation, which we feel as heat (hence "global warming," but we can shelve that for now). Mechanical industry pumps CO2 into the atmosphere, meaning that there's more gas to aborb more light, leading to more heat. It's really as simple as that. You don't need politics at all, it isn't right or wrong, ethical or unethical--it just is. Fucking science man, that's how it works.

Politics comes in right at the very point of solutions though.

RE: Nye, it's also on the head of orgs that put him on stages with actual scientists and science culture icons with much more credibility than Nye, ie Neil Tyson, Richard Dawkins and so on. That's a form of legitimisation.

Reactions: Dak
Politics comes in right at the very point of solutions though.

RE: Nye, it's also on the head of orgs that put him on stages with actual scientists and science culture icons with much more credibility than Nye, ie Neil Tyson, Richard Dawkins and so on. That's a form of legitimisation.

This. Even were one to just accept that any human activity whatsoever has a climate impact, that doesn't even remotely point us to any political action without bringing in many other disparate assumptions. And Nye deserves to get shown up for the reasons listed.

Yes, politics comes in at the point of solutions; and agreed, it's not a unidirectional process.

Don't see why a climate scientist is beholden to either of those points. Talk about moving the goalposts.

There is a rampant tendency among the conservative and populist right to deny climate change, or at least to be skeptical of humanity's contribution to it. A climate scientist can respond to both of those issues easily.

As far as Carlson's stupid question, "when would the next ice age happen if humans hadn't contributed"--that's an impossible question to answer, unless we're willing to admit that scientists can predict the future. But that's not what scientists do. They observe and quantify data, and the data shows that increased CO2 has led to an increase in global temperature.

Last edited:
Yes, politics comes in at the point of solutions; and agreed, it's not a unidirectional process.

Don't see why a climate scientist is beholden to either of those points. Talk about moving the goalposts.

I don't think it's outside their purview when they are being used in the political arena to push agendas which would be pushed regardless of climate change and depend on politicians for funding.

As far as Carlson's stupid question, "when would the next ice age happen if humans hadn't contributed"--that's an impossible question to answer, unless we're willing to admit that scientists can predict the future. But that's not what scientists do. They observe and quantify data, and the data shows that increased CO2 has led to an increase in global temperature.

And yet Nye, Gore, and other non-scientists have been claiming we must take "action" lest our coastal cities are all put underwater *imminently*. That's predicting the future. There's a saying that goes "play stupid games, win stupid prizes". In this case, Nye makes predictions, and wins the request to make more as a prize.

I find it obvious that humans contribute to climate. The degree to which that is the case, and the degree to which and ways in which that is problematic is so far beyond our current understanding that the only possible non-partisan arena on this issue is one in which we agree that we don't know enough. Therefore, we should not take any action beyond more data and analysis collection - particularly not drastic action that doesn't involve more data and analysis, and which just so happens to align with ideologies which have nothing to do with climate whatsoever.

Reactions: EternalMetal
At this point (and yes, it's cynical and silly) I'll start caring about science deniers on the right when people start evenhandedly criticising science deniers on the left. I'll care about what might happen to the planet a thousand years after I'm dead when you start caring that people on the left literally think you're born gay, but heterosexuality is fluid, there are more than 2 genders, a man can be born trapped as a woman inside a male body, yet biological sex is a social construct.

Science denying is much more rampant on the left and is even, like a virus, running through important structures of civilisation such as education.