The News Thread

http://crimeresearch.org/2017/04/number-murders-county-54-us-counties-2014-zero-murders-69-1-murder/

In 2014, the most recent year that a county level breakdown is available, 54% of counties (with 11% of the population) have no murders. 69% of counties have no more than one murder, and about 20% of the population. These counties account for only 4% of all murders in the country.

The worst 1% of counties have 19% of the population and 37% of the murders. The worst 5% of counties contain 47% of the population and account for 68% of murders. As shown in figure 2, over half of murders occurred in only 2% of counties.

Murders actually used to be even more concentrated. From 1977 to 2000, on average 73 percent of counties in any give year had zero murders. Possibly, this change is a result of the opioid epidemic’s spread to more rural areas. But that question is beyond the scope of this study.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy

It's funny when I see liberal types act as if this is something inherent to urban living, when in many European nations (e.g. Germany), the worst cities have a murder rate only ~2 times higher than the national average, unlike the USA where it's more like 10 times higher. Not to mention that there are American cities that have low murder rates, e.g. San Diego, but they also have a history of Republican representation and low percentages of black population (which is basically the best predictor of an area's violent crime rate).

Lookin more like Hillary every day, minus the SCOTUS appointment and appointments of generals.
...and the routinely denying obvious facts, insulting people, baselessly accusing rivals of criminal activity...

^I came to share the sad news also. Fuckin crazy man. It was right after their show in Detroit last night, I know several people who went.

Well when someone dies suddenly like that it's usually either suicide, accidental overdose, or heart problems. Assuming the latter two aren't the case in this instance. :(

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-people-chris-cornell-idUSKCN18F1QI

Cornell said the singer, a recovering addict, was taking the prescription drug Ativan, which treats anxiety and insomnia. One of the listed side effects is that it may increase depression and cause impaired judgment.

Vicky Cornell said she had asked security to check on her husband on Wednesday night when she spoke to him before and after the Soundgarden show.

"I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different... ," she said. "He told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two."