The News Thread

Hamburg G20 featuring Antifa and their great civilization-shaking struggle against fences, rubbish bins, cars and business windows.

Mass movements focused on physical destruction of civilizational necessities are the habitats of the ignorant. Interestingly enough, that includes college students in many Western Countries. Like I said elsewhere, enabling has no inherent positive value.

I took you as meaning that there is inherent positive value in alternative methods.

It may be true that rhetoric treats welfare program as having inherent positive value, but there are favorable reasons for them aside from "inherent value."

I took you as meaning that there is inherent positive value in alternative methods.

It may be true that rhetoric treats welfare program as having inherent positive value, but there are favorable reasons for them aside from "inherent value."

It might surprise you but I think it's possible that positive outcomes can occur due to such transfer payments (which I consider as including all government programs at a minimum). I'll refer to myself and my wife as exhibit A&B vis a vis the GI Bill and the Pell Grant. That doesn't mean that there's an empirical net benefit to society from one or both of those programs, or any others.

Reactions: Einherjar86
finally. it's too late, let's have a blast.

there needs to be more good scifi on global warming and not just The Road surrounded by Day After Tomorrow

I just read that and I'll admit here to being wrong on at least one initial argument I made as to why I wasn't worried much about increasing temps. I'm still not that worried about the rate of change per se, because all of the climate models have been shit so far that I know of, and most of what I've read says we really can't stop things at this point anyhow - so better to prepare than wrangle about trying to "stop it", especially since it's probably way more complicated and involves more factors than we know or can accurately factor in.

So, what I did not think about/was wrong about: Increasing growing areas canceling out decreasing growing areas. I did not consider the differences in soil quality. So maybe warming will create food production problems.

I'm still far, far more worried about cooling than warming, and I'm worried about warming because it could cause cooling due to melting enough ice to set it free into the ocean to slow down the oceanic conveyor belts of warm air, causing a new glacial period (the norm for the earth). This is the most problematic longterm outcome imo.

this article is talking about the fairly near future, not necessarily after we're dead in some cases. the underlying argument is that the earth could be uninhabitable by the end of the century (though i'm seeing counter-articles that accuse some of it as being overstated to say the least). i'm the same though.