The News Thread

What would you say is more of an issue in black American communities outside of violent crime? It's an issue that drags everything down. Black schools fail in part because they spend disproportionate amounts of money on security rather than education. Business owners and other professionals become less likely to build/invest in neighborhoods that have high crime. The increased likelihood of being robbed or worse makes work and life cheaper/more meaningless and people willing to take on other riskier behaviors.

Except that poverty doesn't always breed crime, as seen in Hispanic communities in America where strong family and religious bonds probably help, not to mention countless nations internationally. There are a number of sub-Saharan African countries with lower overall homicide rates than the USA.

Reactions: Dak
Property crime, maybe/sure whatever. Violent crime, no, check the Mort Divine thread and go a few pages back.

Why wasnt crime through the roof during the Great Depression if it is a strong independent predictor?

The suggestion is that poverty conditions behavior, yes? So there's a difference between growing up destitute and being suddenly reduced to destitution. Both of these situations translate into poverty, but just saying "poverty" doesn't account for the way that behavior has already been conditioned in the groups we're implying here. Sudden poverty doesn't snap people into crime; but growing up in a community in which poverty is endemic may contribute to the emergence of extreme behaviors over time.

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
The suggestion is that poverty conditions behavior, yes? So there's a difference between growing up destitute and being suddenly reduced to destitution. Both of these situations translate into poverty, but just saying "poverty" doesn't account for the way that behavior has already been conditioned in the groups we're implying here. Sudden poverty doesn't snap people into crime; but growing up in a community in which poverty is endemic may contribute to the emergence of extreme behaviors over time.

It's possible, but I imagine enough counter examples can be shown to cast doubt on poverty being a significant independent predictor; that is, areas of affluence with high crime and/or areas with low affluence and low crime, both current and historical.

It's possible, but I imagine enough counter examples can be shown to cast doubt on poverty being a significant independent predictor; that is, areas of affluence with high crime and/or areas with low affluence and low crime, both current and historical.

I don't think it's independent; but it's likely that extended poverty is a more significant predictor than the color of one's skin.

And my main point was just that the Great Depression isn't a good rebuttal, considering the difference in exposure to extreme poverty.

Again, I don't think poverty is an independent factor; but comparing rural Appalachia to black urban communities is like comparing apples and oranges. The Journal of Contemporary Criminal Justice issued a report in the early nineties that crime in rural communities, including Appalachia, is often of the organized variety, and that local law enforcement are often complicit, and therefore crime tends to be under-reported.

Also, I doubt that rural Appalachia is actually "safer" than the black ghetto for your average Midwesterner or New Englander.

Poverty is probably a less important indicator for criminal behaviour than relative poverty is.
The Gini Coefficient is a good method for figuring this out, geographical locations with widespread low income or widespread high income tend to be relatively crime free compared to geographical locations with very poor, the middle-class and the very rich living closely together.

Which also seems to support Ein's view of why the poverty brought upon people by the great recession isn't necessarily indicative of violence and crime in poor communities. The great recession reduced people to a state of equality within their respective communities, which tends to bring people together and help each other, but after a few generations certain groups remain poor and certain groups rise out of poverty and that creates the exact kind of situation that The Gini Coefficient exists to measure.

The poor look around and see levels of success that they can't or feel as if they can't achieve and so eventually crime slowly develops as a norm.

Again, I don't think poverty is an independent factor; but comparing rural Appalachia to black urban communities is like comparing apples and oranges. The Journal of Contemporary Criminal Justice issued a report in the early nineties that crime in rural communities, including Appalachia, is often of the organized variety, and that local law enforcement are often complicit, and therefore crime tends to be under-reported.

Soooo, moonshining? It's not like you had Bubba Death Squads roaming the Appalachians in the 90s.

Also, I doubt that rural Appalachia is actually "safer" than the black ghetto for your average Midwesterner or New Englander.

That's why the Appalachians and Baltimore ghettos boast the same number of hikers, hipsters, and family vacationers. Because there's no difference in safety.

after a few generations certain groups remain poor and certain groups rise out of poverty and that creates the exact kind of situation that The Gini Coefficient exists to measure.

The poor look around and see levels of success that they can't or feel as if they can't achieve and so eventually crime slowly develops as a norm.

Of course that's the only possible acceptable reason.

Yeah, that was it. Moonshining.

Well just saying "Crime is underreported in rural areas, which would include the Appalachias" tells one fuckall about Appalachia. I'm having a hard time finding solid, original source descriptive statistics for the Appalachias specifically, but news clippings suggest A. That crime in general is half the rate of the US average and B. drug related crime is on the rise in the last 5-10 years. Hi there heroin "epidemic". Even if underreported, that's no different than underreporting of gang violence and of other crimes in neighborhoods police avoid/the population avoids police.

:rolleyes: What a ridiculous comment.

I seriously doubt that you, when faced with the options of the following options for a visit, are going to say "meh, flip a coin, what's the difference?"
bf71f9d7-604b-43e8-89ba-78290461cea5.jpg

vs.
bc9a0a044ba3ac5c93e3f3fe6569e4eb.jpg

When faced with the choice of the street I grew up on and a stroll through a small east Kentucky town, I know where I'd feel safer.

Well just saying "Crime is underreported in rural areas, which would include the Appalachias" tells one fuckall about Appalachia. I'm having a hard time finding solid, original source descriptive statistics for the Appalachias specifically, but news clippings suggest A. That crime in general is half the rate of the US average and B. drug related crime is on the rise in the last 5-10 years. Hi there heroin "epidemic". Even if underreported, that's no different than underreporting of gang violence and of other crimes in neighborhoods police avoid/the population avoids police.

Chalking it up to moonshining also tells one fuckall about Appalachia. It's believed that marijuana production comprised a significant chunk of Kentucky's agricultural economy in the '90s. I'm sure that's still going on, although opioids are bigger today.

I seriously doubt that you, when faced with the options of the following options for a visit, are going to say "meh, flip a coin, what's the difference?"
bf71f9d7-604b-43e8-89ba-78290461cea5.jpg

vs.
bc9a0a044ba3ac5c93e3f3fe6569e4eb.jpg

When faced with the choice of the street I grew up on and a stroll through a small east Kentucky town, I know where I'd feel safer.

You're right, I'd choose the place with the mountains and woods--you know, where all the hikers, hipsters, and family vacationers go...

You're conflating regions and communities.