The News Thread

I figure it's important to call out when the RNC doesn't understand genetic testing (or reports on the results in a particular way for a particular effect):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...?utm_term=.77c14909d062&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

This basic error in understanding the test results was compounded by the RNC’s reference to the 2014 New York Times article, which was about a genetic profile of the United States, based on a study of 160,000 people drawn from the customer base of 23andMe, a consumer personal genetics company. With reporters believing that Warren’s genome was only as much as 1.56 percent Native American, the article’s line that “European-Americans had genomes that were on average 98.6 percent European, .19 percent African, and .18 Native American” made it appear as if Warren’s sample was even smaller than that of the average American.

Not so. Remember we said that the Bustamante study said she had 10 times more than the individuals from Utah? That’s the relevant statistic, indicating that her claim to some Native American heritage is much stronger than most European Americans.

But that being said, this shouldn't be an issue and Warren should lay off about it. Plenty of white Americans do have some Native American ancestry; but it's likely that, in many cases, their eighteenth-century grand-daddies were fucking rapists. It's not something to go around bragging about.

Reactions: Dak
But that being said, this shouldn't be an issue and Warren should lay off about it. Plenty of white Americans do have some Native American ancestry; but it's likely that, in many cases, their eighteenth-century grand-daddies were fucking rapists. It's not something to go around bragging about.

OTOH, at least prior to the post-Civil War westward expansion, particularly prior to the Revolutionary War, there was plenty of documentation of settlers running off to live with the Native Americans.

I don't think the release of that data did anything to help Warren. Even if it's 10x times than average, we are talking about 10x an infinitesimal amount. It doesn't excuse her listings as a minority and her heritage touting; whether or not it explicitly helped her career is a separate issue. She's been getting hit a bit from the left too over this. But why did she feel the need to press this ambiguously supported narrative of having some token amount of minority ancestry? Because it has potential political play, unfortunately.

I don't think she realizes this which is why it's hilariously bad, she's just a dummy. and this is the "best" the dems have to offer. :lol:
https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-...d-promotes-insidious-ideas-about-race-and-dna

Because it has potential political play, unfortunately.

I'm not sure it does. Every person in my immediate circle (that is, academia) has found it really tasteless, and at the very least poor political strategy. I think she thought it would play, but it ended up being a miscalculation. Plenty of liberals are, at best, apathetic (i.e. it does nothing to win their favor); and plenty of Native Americans are pissed about it.

Reactions: CiG and Dak
I'm not sure it does. Every person in my immediate circle (that is, academia) has found it really tasteless, and at the very least poor political strategy. I think she thought it would play, but it ended up being a miscalculation. Plenty of liberals are, at best, apathetic (i.e. it does nothing to win their favor); and plenty of Native Americans are pissed about it.

Well it really does appear tasteless now. I was thinking going back a couple of years etc to just cutesy family stories.

Last edited:
Best part was Warren getting roasted by the actual tribe she's claiming the right to be a member of with her nothingburger DNA test. Best self-own in ages.

Also, does this mean she did falsely use her native DNA claim to get into Harvard?

I'm sure Harvard simply tripped over themselves in haste at the mere post-it note's worth of mention that they could allow a super white looking female minority in to signal their virtue. The "Pre facts" era.

'Halloween' Billboard Hijacked to Target Maxine Waters

image1-h_2018.jpg

:lol:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/22/business/economy/seattle-minimum-wage-study.html

It’s the final group of workers — the potential new entrants who were not employed at the time of the first minimum-wage increase — that Mr. Vigdor and his colleagues believe fared the worst. They note that, at the time of the first increase, the growth rate in new workers in Seattle making less than $15 an hour flattened out and was lagging behind the growth rate in new workers making less than $15 outside Seattle’s county. This suggests that the minimum wage had priced some workers out of the labor market, according to the authors.

“For folks trying to get a job with no prior experience, it might have been worth hiring and training them when the going rate for them was $10 an hour,” Mr. Vigdor speculated, but perhaps not at $13 an hour.

Color the average NYT reader shocked, but myself *shocked*.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
Bit surprised by how restrained Trump seemed to be regarding the bomb business.

Although, in typical fashion, he let himself down with the ''see how nice I am behaving!?' bullshit. It'd sound pathetic coming from a 12 year old.

Completely unsurprised by all the conspiracy theorist nonsense being chucked around by people that are incapable of believing that right wing extremists in the West are a bigger threat than dumb kids on Twitter whinging about the rights of those that want to mangle their genitals.