The News Thread

It's obviously not a particularly high-resolution data set. E.g. I'd bet that of the ~12% of suicide reported on in the media, the vast majority is of celebrities and subsequent suicide awareness. Off the top of my head, I can think of one non-celebrity suicide I saw in random news, and it was of a recent Harvard graduate ("She had so much to live for her life was just beginning how could this happen yadda yadda"), so not exactly a prole either. There's also the fact that heart disease and cancer largely effect those that should expect it (smokers, fatties, old people, etc); if anything cancer is probably over-discussed in the media.

EDIT: Actually I take back the suicide anecdote, now that I remember, I overheard a conversation at my school's lab where a student was talking about how her old friend who graduated Harvard committed suicide, so I still had to actually find the story. Though I might be a biased observer in that I largely just go after the front page stuff; if they're counting obits and minor columns then I could imagine suicides being more discussed.

Not lying when I say that's an interesting contrast, but what's it supposed to tell us? Also, why the focus on NYT and the Guardian? Are we supposed to believe that FOX and Infowars report more about lower respiratory disease and cancer than the NYT?

Intellectuals don't take either outlet seriously. They do consider the NYT, if not the Guardian, "quality reporting."

The NYT is at least highly factual reporting, albeit with a left-of-center bias. FOX and Infowars are less factually credible.

That graphic doesn’t offer any coherent critique of NYT’s credibility, as far as I can tell.

The NYT is at least highly factual reporting, albeit with a left-of-center bias. FOX and Infowars are less factually credible.

That graphic doesn’t offer any coherent critique of NYT’s credibility, as far as I can tell.

You can be "factually correct" and still ridiculously misrepresentative of real/skewed just by what the coverage focuses on (above graphic and linked tweet) and language used (tweet).

https://twitter.com/DavidRozado/status/1134041329292460032

Worried? If it's true that scientists have found a way to effectively revive extinct animals that could only really be seen a positive thing, no?

tbf he killed 3 black people in addition to the 9 white people and from all accounts I see, he didn't even have a reputation of being a disgruntled/troublesome employee. Just another psycho.

Another active shooter in California. This shit is not random anymore and I'm pretty sure this shit was planned especially with the HPA and the NFA case being brought to the Supreme Court soon. One more Waco type event will set this country off I'm sure.

If there's one US politician that personifies "cuck", it's Slalwell. The biggest fellow white person that's actually still a white person.

EDIT: Just googled his name and apparently he's still paying a 6-figure student debt. :lol:

Reactions: Dak