The News Thread

If we're being colloquial and using major to mean post-WWII global superpowers, then maybe; but I'm suspicious of calling places like Iraq and Afghanistan minor and Ukraine major. I think the conflicts in the Middle East are very substantial in the grand scheme of post-WWII global economics and imperialism. And I'm not sure Ukraine is a significantly larger geopolitical entity than Iraq or Afghanistan.

I think it's also a bit of a defense mechanism for Americans to call those countries "minor" since we were the ones doing the invading. (unless I'm misunderstanding your meaning, in which case apologies).

Yeah, any "major-ness" of Ukraine to an Iraq, Vietnam or Afghanistan is so minor the distinction is probably meaningless to wonder about.

And this conflict is only slightly different because of the potential draw of allies (EU/USA), but even that is an illusion. The potential of this escalation is so low that it's almost as insignificant as an Iran backing an Afghanistan.

It depends on one's perspective. Ukraine itself might not be significantly larger than Iraq or Afghanistan geopolitically, but the implications of Russian imperialism against them, in order to maintain a curtain of buffer states against NATO, is arguably much larger than anything going on with Iraq or Afghanistan right now.

I guess this is only because that region has been fucked with for decades, almost straight through, right? Maybe China will add Asia to their interest and that region will have another "suitor" lol

@CiG
the only way I'm really gonna be able to say my previous post was inaccurate, is if we say that Putin made Donald Trump win the 2016 election for the purpose of being able to do this war that Putin is now doing, and of course at this point we'd then have to say that Putin is totally responsible for Trump even getting anywhere close to getting his fucking name on the god-damn ballot for the 2016 election
you know
i'm still standing by this
Because if Trump had gotten a second term
Trump would be trying to support Putin right now

Yeah, any "major-ness" of Ukraine to an Iraq, Vietnam or Afghanistan is so minor the distinction is probably meaningless to wonder about.

And this conflict is only slightly different because of the potential draw of allies (EU/USA), but even that is an illusion. The potential of this escalation is so low that it's almost as insignificant as an Iran backing an Afghanistan.

I guess this is only because that region has been fucked with for decades, almost straight through, right? Maybe China will add Asia to their interest and that region will have another "suitor" lol
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...ssia-ukraine/627064/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

i seriously think we're pretty quickly getting to the point of someone just killing Putin
i honestly would not be surprised if a sniper took out Putin a few months from now

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChinaAvReview/status/1505834279275999236

video of the last moments before the china plane crash. i don’t remember ever seeing a passenger jet suddenly nosedive vertically from 30k feet, fucking weird man.

This video seems to be shot from the exact direction the plane was flying so the dive looks especially steep. If you look at the dashcam video further down in the same thread, the dive looks closer to a 45 degree angle, still crazy but a little less drastic.

i was the first to post the dash cam vid on reddit aviation and now all day i've been getting random pop up replies on my phone about it lol. i agree it looks less vertical there, it also looks like they may be trying to pull up at the end which would probably rule out an intentional crash if so. either way the flight data suggests it just suddenly dropped 30k in a minute or so which is pretty insane and unusual if confirmed. i'm not an engineer obviously but the most plausible explanation i've seen is that they were getting faulty readings and just didn't realise the plane had gone into a steep descent until it was too late. i wonder if they'll be able to recover the black box on a crash like that.

Brexleigh sounds to me like a name Brexiteers might give their daughter.

Seeing both Maevery and Brave makes me wonder when we will get Braevery. To beef it up, you could combine it with "Dee-".

Knoxlee - the twin-brother of Loxlee? - sounds fun in combination with the surname Ford. If you add an extra "x", he is destined to become a glam rock/metal musician.

Reactions: zabu of nΩd