The News Thread

giphy.gif

There is some truth to the idea that some blacks are more disadvantaged than some whites to this day because of slavery and racism in the past. However I don't believe the current generation should have to pay anything for past generation's misdeeds. The payment, if there was going to be any, should have happened immediately following the laws that were passed, such as the emancipation proclamation. I doubt whites would have been okay with paying at that time either though.

Reactions: viewerfromnihil
Yes but at that time they'd have no genuine arguments against it, white now could mean a 3rd generation Polish family.

There is some truth to the idea that some blacks are more disadvantaged than some whites to this day because of slavery and racism in the past.

That's somewhat contentious depending on which examples you give as proof.

There is some truth to the idea that some blacks are more disadvantaged than some whites to this day because of slavery and racism in the past. However I don't believe the current generation should have to pay anything for past generation's misdeeds. The payment, if there was going to be any, should have happened immediately following the laws that were passed, such as the emancipation proclamation. I doubt whites would have been okay with paying at that time either though.

Definitely. You can blame both the assassination of Lincoln and his decision to reach to the South by selecting Johnson as his VP for a couple of the major failures of Reconstruction.

If it's due to slavery, why is it shown that blacks were doing better in many respects after slavery but before the 1930s compared with afterwards?

Were they doing better than whites before the 1930s? Nope. Also I never said slavery explains all of the issues (such as the issue you mentioned) in the black community. I said slavery and racism in the past explains some issues.

That problem is complex, but it has to do in part with the flight in capital. This was due in large part to the push to suburbia, which mostly only whites and middle-class blacks could afford. With the capital stripped from inner-city neighborhoods, the jobs and therefore opportunity went with them.

Yes but at that time they'd have no genuine arguments against it, white now could mean a 3rd generation Polish family.

That's somewhat contentious depending on which examples you give as proof.

What is contentious about it? Are you implying slavery and racism in the past had 0 effect on the present?

Were they doing better than whites before the 1930s? Nope. Also I never said slavery explains all of the issues (such as the issue you mentioned) in the black community. I said slavery and racism in the past explains some issues.

That's misleading, the whites never slowed down their progression so why would they do better? The point is, they were doing better then.

What is contentious about it? Are you implying slavery and racism in the past had 0 effect on the present?

I said it's contentious depending on what examples you give as proof.

For example, the breakdown of the black family unit is not a legacy of slavery whereas African Americans not inheriting certain skillsets in the same way Germans brought over piano making skills or Jews with garment skills did because American slavery purposely made sure African slaves were dependant, as opposed to other slaves in different places that were taught or already knew and were allowed to grow crops, trade for goods etc so once they were emancipated they had skillsets with which to prosper.

if anyone here is voting Bernie you're a fucking idiot. he will raise taxes through the roof to fund his "universal healthcare" for homeless bums and illegals

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Man, you're deluded.

Surely Sarah Palin's endorsement is the kiss of death for Trump?

It was a glorious endorsement. Like a Four Loco fueled chipmunk.

It's funny though, the similarities between Sanders and Trump. They're both for limiting free trade, they both for raising taxes on the rich, and they're both for universal health care (though Trump now denies this), all of which are things that everybody else in the primary disagree with.

Reactions: Dak
Trump will lower taxes on the middle class, regulate the private insurance companies to keep costs down, repeal Obamacare and the stupid penalty for not having it, and have shitty throw-a-bandaid-on-it healthcare for poor fucks, all of which is fucking great to me