The Next Chapter: Bodom After Midnight

It is not his child!!!

Anyways, the very first BAM gig is happening soon, I hope those of you who will witness it have a wonderful time! And I kindly ask you for some videos and written reports afterwards! :D

69c4f0fc48.jpg

122242635_1510642435798792_1583185798129557264_o.jpg

122438216_1510642539132115_5191864975622348899_o.jpg

Reactions: tragician
First video: Needled 24/7
" First song of the very first live performance. Seinäjoki, Finland @ Rytmikorjaamo. "

Why Needled as first song??? And who is the singer? Looks like Alexi, but with another voice.

The playing was good, Alexis radius of movement is still restricted to a 50cm distance from the mic stand - all in all, it sounds like... Bodom.

The lack of crowd and silence before they start make it sound like...a cover band :rofl: otherwise the performance is fine, I notice that the guitars are much louder than keyboards, which wasn't the case in COB.

Yeah, Needled sounds off. Seems like he's trying to sing the whole thing at a higher pitch. Doesn't really work for him. I prefer his voice when he goes lower instead of higher.

Drummer kicks ass, he just needs a bigger drumkit, that looks like something borrowed from an opening band.

The guy on the keys reminds me of a young Janne-- deer in the headlights look.

The bassist adds some life--Alexi will probably kick him out. Daniel doesn't seem to be happy to have to move around because of this guy.

I was at the two latest shows and will go tonight too. in my opinion the new lineup is good and they have more energy in their playing than COB in the last tours. But it's lacking the personality that COB shows had. It feels like "Alexi Laiho and the background band" instead of a new band.

It seems that people's opinions kind of depend on how they look at this: are they thinking it's COB with a new lineup or are they thinking it's a whole new band? Of course the people that come to these shows are there with COB shirts on and they expect it to be a COB show. But it's not COB with just Alexi.
I think they should have released a new album before playing live because right now they aren't really offering anything new. I want to take this in as a new band and see how it goes but that's not the message they are giving with these shows. They aren't bad, they play well with good energy but for and old fan of COB I'm not surprised if some feel this is just a lamer COB?

Then again this is a good test for the lineup and practice for them in developing their own "iconic live routine" of sorts. The songs are gonna sound good no matter who plays them because they are good songs, so it's less stress on that note but for fans it would be easier to kinda turn the next page if they would play mainly new BAM songs and have a few COB songs in there.

I want to believe Alexi just doesn't want to take a too long break from live shows, he wants to show he's still there and still doing what he does but I can't blame those who feel like this is a "I didn't need COB guys anyway I can replace them" message. Still, people can have their feelings and miss the old lineup, I saw some old fans had posted on insta that they will never go see this band again. But the song writer perspective that "I wrote these and I can keep playing these with a new band" is completely valid too.

The thing is Alexi is the face of COB, even if he did release new music and tour with that, people would still be there wearing COB shirts and expecting an old song as an encore.

Last edited:
122517944_10220953291474731_6622140559205590512_n.jpg

Interesting that Alexi is playing the Drop C songs in Drop B now but still playing the D standard in the original tuning. Its common for bands to play a semitone lower live so I'd assume he would play them in C# now.

The thing is Alexi is the face of COB, even if he did release new music and tour with that, people would still be there wearing COB shirts and expecting an old song as an encore.

Marty Friedman says Megadeth fans still come to his shows and shout out songs. Its cool Alexi is back with a new lineup but like you said what is the reason behind it. People are always going to want Bodom so I can't see him playing a setlist with 75% Bodom after Midnight songs if they release an album and tour it.

Yeah the mainly BAM setlist is gonna be possible after like two albums :D People always want to hear the older material with every band's shows that is just how it is.

I also think that while yes I totally understand the fans who don't like the idea of BAM, some look like they feel like choosing a side, Alexi vs the rest and that is not needed. We can't know what was going on. But I went through a lot of emotions last december too and I totally understand when some fans seem even angry at this new band.
But it's just a fact that whatever BAM does will be compared to what COB was like and they can only do what they think is best for this, what is the best direction Alexi thinks his art should go.

Last edited:
This definitely feels like Alexi and the Bodomboys rather than COB, imo. I think they should have thrown an original song or 2 into their set at least.

They had also mentioned playing some uncommon songs live, but they're pretty much only touching the first 5 albums here, plus Platitudes, which is lame to me.

Gotta give some more time to let them become their own band, but we'll see how it goes. I'll always be fine with them playing COB songs, but I definitely hope we get some BAM songs that become staples themselves.