The Next Chapter: Bodom After Midnight

I'd chose performance over video quality. The more recent filmed concerts might have better picture quality, but they don't show COB at their best. And I definitely don't want to see anything from 2019 anymore...

I was speaking rather of the time around early 2000s...Tuska 2003, Korea 2001...stuff like that. I never found many early bootlegs from COB so I'm not sure what are their best filmed concerts. But I'd want something from the times when they performed at their best and were full of life and fun.

Of course that would also be a question about the rights, who owns all that stuff etc. Well, it was just an idea of what would be nice to still get in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if we get nothing...maybe some album rereleases over time with some few live bonus tracks is probably the most realistic expectation. It doesn't seem to me like the three guys have still a lot of interest in the COB "brand"...it's a closed chapter right now and I think with Alexi being gone even more so now. They'll rather look ahead and want to do new stuff with new bands.

Reactions: rj rl
Personally I would have no problem if BAM continued. If they keep the same sound and energy. Get a second guitarist. Get a guy to do vocals only. Finding a good guitar player will be no issue. And there should be plenty of vocalists who can do an Alexi voice and take on a Wildchild persona. In fact, they should do it fast. That Death tribute band is pretty good, but they waited way too long to come out and tour. If BAM decides to go on they've got to do it right after the EP is released. I'd watch them live and I'm sure lots of other people will.

You mean as a pure tribute band playing his songs or also writing new songs?

I'd chose performance over video quality. The more recent filmed concerts might have better picture quality, but they don't show COB at their best. And I definitely don't want to see anything from 2019 anymore...

I was speaking rather of the time around early 2000s...Tuska 2003, Korea 2001...stuff like that. I never found many early bootlegs from COB so I'm not sure what are their best filmed concerts. But I'd want something from the times when they performed at their best and were full of life and fun.

Of course that would also be a question about the rights, who owns all that stuff etc. Well, it was just an idea of what would be nice to still get in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if we get nothing...maybe some album rereleases over time with some few live bonus tracks is probably the most realistic expectation. It doesn't seem to me like the three guys have still a lot of interest in the COB "brand"...it's a closed chapter right now and I think with Alexi being gone even more so now. They'll rather look ahead and want to do new stuff with new bands.
I wouldn't say that.

They just recently relaunched their Webstore with new products.

Well not the 2019 shows, that's for sure. But even the shows during the last 2 years that Roope was around where pretty good. There's no shortage of material.

You mean as a pure tribute band playing his songs or also writing new songs?

First as a tribute band playing COB stuff. I mean, if Daniel thinks he (with the help of Roope?) can compose songs in the spirit of Alexi's work, sure why not. They could easily start introducing new songs over time, see what the fans' response is.

I wouldn't say that.

They just recently relaunched their Webstore with new products.

I meant music releases, not merchandise. They don't have to do a lot to sell shirts etc., it's easy money for them. It just makes sense to continue offering that.

Well not the 2019 shows, that's for sure. But even the shows during the last 2 years that Roope was around where pretty good. There's no shortage of material.

That's good to know. I really wish they'd do some official live release with lots of that material in best possible quality. We'll see.

I would not like it if the other guys recorded new music in the future under the Bodom name.

Bodom is, and has always been, Alexi. Continuing the band under his name without him is disrespectful. Like if I started a band and named it Pantera 2 with none of the original members. It’s not right.

I have no problem with them making new music, but it should be under a different name, even if it’s stylistically similar.

I agree, it's impossible. Alexi was for COB and BAM what Mustaine is for Megadeth or Lemmy was for Motörhead. Both COB and BAM are done, neither the COB nor the BAM could do anything new without him.

The only question is - were there ever leftovers from COB recording sessions? I can't remember hearing about any unused songs, so I guess no. If there was something unreleased left, they could maybe release those. But that's as far as it goes I'd say.

What I would wish for is that COB make another live release in the future...it sucks that there is only that one official live DVD. Maybe they could combine 2-3 older filmed concerts (between late 90s and late 00s) in best possible picture and sound quality and release it as a 2-DVD-set. Would be great for the fans and also something for Alexi's and COB's legacy, to show and remember them in their prime.

there is one unreleased song from Something Wild session. They recorded talking of The trees. So im hoping Anssi Kippo will release it one day if The other guys aprove.

I agree, it's impossible. Alexi was for COB and BAM what Mustaine is for Megadeth or Lemmy was for Motörhead. Both COB and BAM are done, neither the COB nor the BAM could do anything new without him.

The only question is - were there ever leftovers from COB recording sessions? I can't remember hearing about any unused songs, so I guess no. If there was something unreleased left, they could maybe release those. But that's as far as it goes I'd say.

What I would wish for is that COB make another live release in the future...it sucks that there is only that one official live DVD. Maybe they could combine 2-3 older filmed concerts (between late 90s and late 00s) in best possible picture and sound quality and release it as a 2-DVD-set. Would be great for the fans and also something for Alexi's and COB's legacy, to show and remember them in their prime.

In regards to the question about leftovers from COB recording sessions: The band re-recorded "Talking of the Trees", a track that was on one of the band's demo tapes when they were known as "Inearthed". This re-recording was to be included on Something Wild but was left off because the band wasn't happy with it (I think that's accurate, correct me if I'm wrong). Anssi Kippo still has the recording as far as I know, if he will release it to the public one day; I don't know, it's hard to say.

They didn't have the money and technology they have today. They can join together, re-record all the instruments, and mix it with modern techniques with Alexi's voice and guitar

I mean, if the songs for the whole album are already written, I wouldn't mind if they would record them as a tribute to him.
Alexi once said in an interview that he writes songs while jamming and that he doesn't write anything down because he remembers riffs and melodies forever after playing them for a single time. But this interview was over 10 years ago, so maybe he changed that with time and there is some kind of a legacy.
I fear that many new songs were only in his head and died with him.

Reactions: COB-666 and rj rl
Alexi once said in an interview that he writes songs while jamming and that he doesn't write anything down because he remembers riffs and melodies forever after playing them for a single time. But this interview was over 10 years ago, so maybe he changed that with time and there is some kind of a legacy.
he talks about how he just keeps the riffs in his head here

Reactions: COB-666 and Juggler
In regards to the question about leftovers from COB recording sessions: The band re-recorded "Talking of the Trees", a track that was on one of the band's demo tapes when they were known as "Inearthed". This re-recording was to be included on Something Wild but was left off because the band wasn't happy with it (I think that's accurate, correct me if I'm wrong). Anssi Kippo still has the recording as far as I know, if he will release it to the public one day; I don't know, it's hard to say.

That's interesting I didn't know they re-recorded it. I'm listening to the song right now...would be interesting to hear it properly recorded. There is even a small part in the middle that reminds me to - also a small part in the middle of - "Mask Of Sanity".

I wish there were more of those kind of unknown songs that never got released. But I guess their methode was always to rather record some covers instead a few more songs. "Knuckleduster" seems to be one rare exception...and strangely enough that one was again on "Hexed" instead the usual cover songs.

He would still have to write the songs down at some point. The other band members need to train their parts.

They said in many interviews that they always go to the studio well prepared and record everything super fast because they train the new songs a lot before already.

Alexi might have everything in his head, but the others can't see into his mind. So he must have written the songs down somehow.

That said, I believe the BAM album probably wasn't written yet unfortunately :\

I think I remember he would send the parts to the guys to practice before rehearsing. Pretty sure he would quickly record the parts and send them out to them.

That's interesting I didn't know they re-recorded it. I'm listening to the song right now...would be interesting to hear it properly recorded. There is even a small part in the middle that reminds me to - also a small part in the middle of - "Mask Of Sanity".

I wish there were more of those kind of unknown songs that never got released. But I guess their methode was always to rather record some covers instead a few more songs. "Knuckleduster" seems to be one rare exception...and strangely enough that one was again on "Hexed" instead the usual cover songs.

" The song "Mask of Sanity" is a remake of the song "Talking of the Trees" from their early demo Shining (released as IneartheD). "
Source: Wikipedia

Guys, dont know if any of you have any connection with the other members but if so someone needs to get in touch with danni or whoever and beg them to find a way to get the songs out. The songs were probably mostly finished minus solos and vocals but i feel the rest is there because they usually learn all the songs before going to the studio. i wish they would just give us whatever there is even if it is incomplete, even if its unofficial, just get together and jam and put it on youtube. something, anything!

" The song "Mask of Sanity" is a remake of the song "Talking of the Trees" from their early demo Shining (released as IneartheD). "
Source: Wikipedia

its not a remake, But mask of sanity has some riffs from Talking of The trees. The RE-recorded version for SW has no female vocals, instead The melody Where played on The guitars instead. Also, Anssi Kippo plays guest guitar solo on The song.

Last edited:
Guys, dont know if any of you have any connection with the other members but if so someone needs to get in touch with danni or whoever and beg them to find a way to get the songs out. The songs were probably mostly finished minus solos and vocals but i feel the rest is there because they usually learn all the songs before going to the studio. i wish they would just give us whatever there is even if it is incomplete, even if its unofficial, just get together and jam and put it on youtube. something, anything!

If only it were that easy. Someone has to put some time and money into that. Most likely expecting at least to recover the investment.